“Worst Place I ever stayed”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Clarksdale
St. Louis, Missouri
“Worst Place I ever stayed”
Reviewed 2 May 2011

our group had booked rooms for two nights. The inn has no elevator and no guest service There were no other accomodations large enough for our group. Should be caleed the dirty inn. Dirty bathrooms, brown stains in toilet bowl. Non-working appliances (clock and coffee maker). Crumbling tile in the bathroom. No elevator in the entire two story building. Throw your back out dragging your luggage to the second floor.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank mule1957

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 22 April 2011

We were two couples that booked 2 rooms at the Comfort Inn in Clarksdale during the Juke Joint Blues Festival in April 2011. Although the reviews we read on Trip Advisor were not favorable, we are hotel professionals and understood both the opportunity for potential exaggeration of issues and the simple fact that the area is limitted for accommodations. Frankly we simply thought it better to stay locally rather than drive back to Memphis where we were completing our vacation before flying home. The staff were friendly and as accomodating as they could be- the lobby and exterior were as expected and acceptable. Upon entering our room, the overwhelming odor ( cat urine ) or something equally unpleasant stopped us in our tracks. I had kicked off my sandals and as I walked accross the carpet to call the front desk, my feet sort of slid on a greasy feeling surface. I asked for a different room and the front desk advised they were sold out and offered us a can of Febreeze. We turned the A/C on high - went out for the night and hoped for the best once we returned. Our friends we were traveling with provided us the detail on their room experience. A thick orange extension cord ran accross the floor providing electricity to the one and only lamp in the room. Bathroom lights worked but no other lighting was available. Bathroom mirror had large hand prints obvious in the dust/grime and toilet area was so soiled that a call to the desk resulted in employee coming to the room to clean it herself as housekeeping had left for the day.
Again, it was our decision to stay as we had checked out of our secured rooms in Memphis to enjoy the festival and not have to drive back that evening. I had thoroughly inspected rooms for bed bugs and there were not any. But the overall feeling of a very dirty room did not make for even a barely acceptable experience. We made the decision to get up as early as possible and get on the road. Breakfast was fine - basic and included in the rate. Upon check out, I asked to speak to the Manager and was told no one was available. I asked for a comment card and was told there were not any. I emailed the General Manager upon my return home and as of more than a week later, have not received a response.
Although Clarksdale was absolutely charming, we do not regret going there and everyone we met were gracious and kind - I would sooner drive the almost 2 hours to Memphis than to ever staying at that hotel again. As we heard similar stories of the entire areas lodging and after experiencing the " not so comfortable " Comfort Inn, I also would not take the chance to stay in the local area either. Thank you Trip Advisor for a forum to discuss travel experiences.

Room Tip: Head North to Tunica or further to Memphis
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda G

Travellers are raving about these Clarksdale hotels

Reviewed 5 April 2011

In Clarskdale, you got two types of places to stay. The Rt 161 strip mall motels, which this is one of, or the more themed places downtown (Riverside Hotel or the rooms above Ground Zero) or just outside of town (Shack Inn). None of the Rt 161 motels are going to be great. They all are worn down, not kept up well and lack any sense of local charm. Having said that, I have stayed here a couple of times over the last couple of months and each time I had the same experience. Nothing fancy, nothing great, just ok. My room was fine, shower was fine, wifi internet worked. That was all I needed during those stays.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mitchmurr
Stuttgart, Arkansas
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We stayed here for a photography workshop and this place was horrible! It has a bad odor, was hot and stuffy, very dirty carpets and the management wasn't very accommodating. They have a room where you eat their continental breakfast, which is only used for a few hours a day. We had rented six rooms and needed a space to review photographs and they said there would be a charge of $125:00 to use this room! We used it the day before and no one said a word!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank marge029
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Stayed in this hotel 2 nights on business and regret it fully. The reservations desk screwed up the room types for our entire group. The rooms smelled of dampness and mold. Carpet was stained. Overall the entire hotel was dirty and the desk help just didn't care. It was hard to sleep with such a strong musty/moldy smell and it was prevalent in all the rooms our group were in. Surprisingly the breakfast room was the cleanest and the breakfast was decent.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank bierstein
clarksdale
Reviewed 16 October 2010

This Inn has an ant problem. I placed my pizza on the counter while I watched a movie. At the end of the movie my pizza was completely covered in ants. There was a long ant trail leading into the base of the counter which is not accessible. When I called the front desk the clerk was rude and unappologetic. She offered a can of Raid. She never brought it up to the room and when I called back she told me to come down and get it. Clearly costomer service is not a priority. Other staff had been nice and helpfull but this woman was not.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Saltillo, Mississippi
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Not worth the 89.99 n up they charge for the rooms. Nothing n the room worked. All i can say is UPGRADE!! From head to toe..

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarksdale
0.8 km away
37.1 km away
Edwardian Inn
Edwardian Inn
#1 of 3 in Helena

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!