“Hmm, it's ok for a budget single traveler.”

Americas Best Value Inn-Columbus
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Columbus
Portage, Michigan
“Hmm, it's ok for a budget single traveler.”
Reviewed 2 January 2007

My mother’s family still resides in Columbus so I have been here numerous times over the decades. In 2006 I was here for a family reunion and my wife and two children joined me. We stayed at the Wingate Inn which I do highly recommend if you can the rooms at $65/night or less.

On to America’s Best Value Inn. I had to return to Columbus New Year’s day 2007 for a funeral. Since I was going alone, I wanted to save as much money as possible without compromising comfort or safety. After an extensive search and phone calls for best rates I decided to take a chance on Best Value Inn. Their published rate at the time was $55, after a phone call I was able to get $47 per night. I wanted to have microwave and fridge and internet access, all of which were very helpful for saving money and getting directions. There were no reviews so I thought I would help any other travelers to the area.

The rooms have supposedly been remodeled. I would say there are some minor cosmetic things that have been done, but my room is just ok. It is clean; maid service came by early to check on my room. The hotel is fairly quiet; I have not heard anyone through the walls.

The staff is pretty helpful. I was surprised to find out there are no irons, I called the front desk and she promptly brought an iron to me. There were no coffee makers in the room. I am a coffee snob so I was not going to miss hotel generic coffee- try Beans and Cream over on Military Rd, good coffee and nice people.

The web site suggests they have a continental breakfast- that consists of a cereal dispenser, milk and a juice machine. I would suggest taking advantage of the fridge and microwave. Pick up some groceries at the super Wal-Mart and make a quick meal in your room.

I would suggest this hotel to the budget single traveler. Clean basic rooms that served my needs. At $47 a night I did not expect the Hilton or Raddison, so I was ok with everything. Of course I am not that picky. There are cheaper motels in town (Economy Inn) that you may want to avoid.

If you are with your family or young children check out the Wingate. Decent breakfast and indoor pool for the kids.

• Stayed January 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank doccraw2000

Travellers are raving about these Columbus hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)