“Large pizza is too big for 3 people, but you have leftovers”

Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint
Ranked #10 of 388 Restaurants in Jackson
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 5 September 2017

My husband, daughter, and I ate her for dinner around 8:00pm on a Friday night. Ordered a large ground beef with extra cheese on one half and an order of portobello fries for an appetizer. Mushroom were cut in strips, lightly breaded, then fried and were tasty but not as good as I was expecting from the reviews. Ask for ranch instead of the horseradish sauce they come with. The pizza was huge; we had enough for 4 people. Atmosphere was very relaxed with lots of children being rowdy and the walls were decorated with foam art stick pictures that kids had done so very kid friendly.
There was actually extra cheese on one half which you don't always get when you order at some of the other pizza places so that was nice. We got 2 waters and a tea and our bill was over $30 which I thought was a little high. But overall good pizza, not fabulous but better than most. My husband really liked the homemade crust. We were too full for ice cream or milkshakes but they looked good; can ice cream ever be bad?

Susan F, Guest Relations Manager at Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Thank you for the review! We try to keep it laidback and family friendly just as you saw. We are glad that you enjoyed your overall experience even if the portobello fries didn't quite live up to the hype. Sometimes you just have to find the item that works for you- we have excellent fried ravioli and hummus so maybe give those a try on your next visit! Our pizzas and doughs are made from scratch everyday using all premium ingredients- no fake cheeses or subpar meats here- so that means that our prices are a bit higher but the quality more than makes up for it. We hope you join us for another visit and save some room for ice cream this time!

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

Went here for my son's first birthday and the big slices of pizza and ice cream is so good. I recommend the French fries too. Friendly staff and cool little place.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

I do not have too much insight into the atmosphere, because every time I went it was really busy and got food to go; however, the food was delicious. It is cooked to order and very fresh. The menu is nicely priced and will not break the bank. Overall, I would recommend this place to anyone in the area.

1  Thank William O
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I went to Sal & Mookie's to celebrate a month of being married (because we're annoying newlyweds.) I really appreciated the array of mocktails, since I was feeling like a drink but on a budget. I had the creamsicle mocktail and it was just like a pushpop. They brought out a free appetizer for us to try which were these chicken strips fried with the skin on. The taste is very similar to pork Rhines and the only thing that would have made it better would be more dipping options as all were really spicy. We tried the Spinach and Artichoke dip and the fried calamari for appetizers and we preferred the dip. The calamari was good, but be warned that it does have whole squid in it which was a little much for me. My husband had the Chicken Marsala and enjoyed it. I had the shrimp alfredo and it was delicious, but my favorite part was being able to get ice cream. You just walk up to the bar and pick your ice cream, and they will put it on your ticket. So much fun! Next time we really want to try the pizza.

Susan F, Guest Relations Manager at Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Happy one month anniversary! Thank you for celebrating with us! You happened to come for our Chick-Arrones event where we were taste testing a potential new appetizer. Thank you for your feedback on them. We are so glad that you got to try so many of our great menu items and experience the fun that is our Scoop Shop. Ice cream at the end of a good meal is so satisfying! Come again and try some pizza. We hear it can't be beat ;)

Reviewed 26 July 2017

My family had a pizza dinner last night and I thought the pizzas were very good and the server did a great job. My only complaint is that we had to ask for plates and the music was a little too loud. Kids loved the ice cream. A little pricey but good.

Susan F, Guest Relations Manager at Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Thank you for your review, James! I'm so glad you enjoyed the pizza and service. We'll make sure that the volume is bumped down a notch and there are plenty of plates next time you come! Feedback like yours helps us improve.