“Needs an update”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Olive Branch
Lorton, Virginia
“Needs an update”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I went here with friends to a convention at the hotel. The hotel needs work. The rooms are average sized. The one I stayed in had a hornet nest about 20 feet away that was in the crown of the building. No one from the hotel did anything about it and we lost the use of our balcony because of it. A few of the flying pests managed to get into the room as well.

Pros: It is nice and quiet.
If you are here then chances are it was reserved for your event.
There is a lot of space for big events.

Cons: The rooms need a major redo on them. They aren't bad, they are just old. The bathrooms and the lighting for starters need to be redone.
There are no restaurants that are really close to it or on the property. So prepare for a 5-15 minute walk or a car ride to get anything. They have a restaurant in the hotel but the fare seemed average.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ed W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Just there for a big conference. . First -- there are are no woods, and not really anywhere nice or interesting to walk. Stuck in the 1960s in many ways. No automated phone messaging (and the front desk staff lost the message that came in for me), heating/coolingy unit was very noisy, no phone at the desk in the room and the phone by the bed did not have speaker capability, shower had separate hot and cold faucets and the decor was quite dated, exercise facility was not spacious. The layout of the facility is odd; for example, there are no separate second and third floors; you take the elevator to the Mezzanine, and then either walk down or up a ramp/stairs. There was WiFi, and the old TVs have been replaced by nice flatscreens with a good choice of stations. The food was mediocre, and the vegetarians and people with gluten allergies with whom I spoke were not impressed. I would not recommend this place for a business conference.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Sue3cats
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I was here for a three day convention. The staff was friendly, but that hotel could use a renovation! The beds were stiff and hurt my back. May as well have slept on the floor. I may have slept a total of 7 hours tops during the three nights I was there, and thats an exaggeration. The knob for the cold water in the shower had 4 cracks in it (picture below). The toilet was weak. It flushed very slowly and rarely got everything down, even if you held down the handle until it flushed. You couldn't reflush it until it was done making the hissing noise, which lasted 2-3 minutes after the flush. We also had a leak in the ceiling in the bathroom above the mirror where the light is. Yes, water leaking from inside a light fixture! (picture below). We notified the front desk about it, and they said it was coming from the water from the toilet in the room above us (ew!) and it was a 2 hour job to fix and they offered to move us to another room, if one was available. We said we weren't interested in moving to another room because we had so much stuff. On Monday morning, as we were getting ready to leave, that plastic light fixture fell out (probably from the weight of the water) and soaked everything that was in the bathroom. I've been to the cheapest motels and had a better experience than this!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Midnightneko
3674lakeview, Owner at Whispering Woods Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Even though I regret that your experience was not positive at Whispering Woods, your comments and feedback are appreciated and enable us to identify areas where we can improve. When a maintenance issue occurs that cannot be resolved immediately because of guest in another room, the only alternative is to relocate you to an alternate room. I agree that it is difficult to move once settled in and regret that you were inconvenienced. Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction and I hope you will provide us with another opportunity in the future to show our better side.
Millington, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 September 2011

This was our second stay at Whispering Woods and proved the first was NOT a fluke. The room was nice and roomy, and clean. The employees were friendly and always so helpful it was like visiting friends rather than dealing with hotel personnel.

Mandy, Ronnie and Terri in The Tree Top Grill made our meals delightful--Mandy and Terri mix some nice drinks while Ronnie makes you feel right at home in the dining room. Sylvia at the front desk, meanwhile, makes sure you have everything you need and actually helped find us a room at a neighboring hotel when we decided to stay another night at the last minute and they were booked.

This is the kind of service and accommodations that will keep us coming back year after year.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Lee S
We are sincerely grateful for your positive encouragement and hope to see you back at Whispering Woods!
Brandon, MS
Reviewed 20 August 2011

This conference center is well equipped for large and smaller venues. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The buffet line the final morning for breakfast was the most organized and well run I have seen for such a large amount of people. My room was clean and quiet. The bathroom was fine for me, but I could see it being small for two people to share. I liked being able to open the sliding glass doors out onto the balcony.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MsBorneo
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My family reunion was hosted at this venue. The Pros are the staff. Most of the staff members were very customer service minded and provided excellent service. The cleaning staff is up bright and early cleaning the hotel and freshening the hallways. The breakfast buffet was awesome and the staff was also. I also want to recognize the banquet room service staff. Now, the Cons...the hotel itself has probably seen better days. The venue is dated. I believe there has been some recent renovations to the sleeping rooms which may include replacing the carpet and re-upholstered the furniture but the sleeping rooms and baths still have a dated appearance. The common areas, except for the front desk, do not appear to have been renovated at all and are in a serious need of a steam cleaning. One other downside is the lack of parking for a venue that is also a major conference center which host many events at any given time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NKTB
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I stayed there with my Family Reunion and wanted to say that this is a great place very friendly people and very caring.. Great place that had all things for the kids to do and enough space as well. We did have a little small issues with our room when we first arrived but, the manager that was there the Saturday morning after we arrived (Latoya Moore) was nothing but professional and courteous she went out her way to acomadate me and my family and was very knowledgeable about things to do in the area. Her staff was also great with speedy check in. Food was Magnificent Koodos to the chef and the Banquet ppl I think Dasey and Pete they too were excellent.
Stephanie.