“Clean rooms, marginal pool, and a dispassionate staff”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Jackson Airport
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Pearl
Helena, Alabama
“Clean rooms, marginal pool, and a dispassionate staff”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This La Quinta is a fine stay for the budget minded traveler. The property is convenient to I-20 and nearby shopping and dining. We heard very little traffic noise from the interstate or adjacent road. Torchmark Park, the home of the Mississippi Braves minor league baseball team is just down the road. Our room was spotlessly clean, no problems there. The refrigerator and microwave were great for the kids. The free breakfast was carb-heavy but with good variety including cold cereals, instant oatmeal, pre-cooked bacon and eggs, pastries, and make-your-own-waffles. Our only complaints were the front desk staffer over Memorial Day weekend and the pool. The afternoon front desk staffer was absolutely emotionless; not rude but not welcoming at all. Bizarrely, while my brother-in-law and I were walking down the hall to our rooms shortly after arrival, we heard the crash of glass breaking and a woman’s screams from the room across the hall. We pounded on the door to see if we could help and when the door opened we found a middle-aged couple staring at the smashed full length mirror which had fallen off the wall next to the sink counter while she was standing there. A while later we saw the couple moving to another room and the husband told us he had to ASK to be moved to another room; when he called the front desk the attendant wasn’t apologetic or concerned at all. The outdoor pool area was acceptably clean, numerous trees nearby drop a fair amount of leaves on the patio and in the pool. I did notice that a small table that was turned over on Sunday when we arrived was still overturned on Tuesday when we left, no staffer cared enough to turn it back right side up. The pool water was cloudy/hazy and a thin film of slime could be felt on the steps and walls/floor of the pool below the waterline like it hadn’t been vacuumed or scrubbed since opening. We let our children swim in it, but discussed it first. We would stay here again, but would look at other comparable properties first and search out a more welcoming staff and pool.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The first time I came to Jackson on business, I stayed at the La Quinta six miles further east on US 20 in Brandon. The Brandon location is newer and closer to the airport but the one in Pearl is closer to Jackson and the main North/South Highway 55.

Quality-wise it's a toss up and you can't go wrong with either. Although this hotel is older and not quite so stylish - no wall thermostat, smaller lobby, older style bathroom - the rooms are big with high ceilings, nice furnishings, excellent beds, nice flat screen TV and comfortable work desk with office chair. The bonus was the strongest shower I've had in ages but the price was noisy pipes in the morning when people got up to shower before me. Earplugs are always a good idea when sleeping on the road.

But what I appreciated most at this hotel was the desk manager. He's a friendly, and professional guy who runs a tight ship. He called within 5 minutes of checking in to see if I was satisfied with the room. I needed a phone number for a local restaurant and he looked it up and called me back with it. All the staff was friendly and polite.

Great La Quinta value as always with a nice dash of personality thrown in. I'll be back.

Room Tip: I prefer the top floor of these kinds of hotels - it usually seems quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I very much enjoyed my visit to the Airport Laquinta In Pearl, Ms. Mr. Kenny Patel and his staff of great professionals always make me feel at home and help in any way to enjoy my stay. Chameka Bogan the front desk manager is the key to the excellent service and the overal warm felling that is precent when you walkin the front door.

Harrold E. Long ~ Helmerich & Payne International Drilling Co.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rienzi, Mississippi
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel with a group of students on a school-sponsored trip. The students had to pay for their own lodging, so finding a safe yet economical hotel was top priority. Check-in was efficient and easy, even though I was using a school check and had a tax waiver. The desk clerk was friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The bathrooms were clean. They also had a free morning breakfast buffet, but we had an organizational breakfast meeting and did not eat.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PerryPie
North Carolina
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This was the nicest La Quinta's I have stayed at. I would say it's luxurious. Everything was immaculate. I'm not sure if it's because I used my LQ points to pay, but when I arrived, in my room there was a bottle of water, a package of cookies and a nice note welcoming me. Everything worked perfectly. There was plenty of grass to exercise dogs. The only downfall was, the front desk staff wasn't very friendly. I felt I was bothering them.

Room Tip: I'd bet all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo