“Weekend day trip. ”

Katy Trail State Park
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Boonville
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Katy Trail State Park, the longest developed rail-trail in the country. Whether you are a bicyclist, walker, equestrian, nature lover or history buff, the trail offers opportunities for recreation, a place to enjoy nature and an avenue to discover the past. The park, built on the former corridor of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (MKT or Katy), is 240 miles long and runs between Clinton and Machens with 26 trailheads and four fully restored railroad depots along the way.
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I are trying to be more active so we decided that walking on the Katy Trail was a good idea for a day trip. We had taken our niece and nephew there over 10 years ago and they had liked it, so we thought we would bring our kids to walk the trail. The kids enjoyed looking at everything, but their favorite place was the railroad tunnel. I think we will visit again later in the year when the weather is a bit cooler and the leaves are changing. A great place to walk or ride a bicycle to unwind and slow down for a while.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

This is not your usual state park. It is perhaps 50 yards wide and runs the length of the State of Missouri! This park is the remains of what used to be the Katy Railroad. Once the railroad was gone, the tracks were removed and the land turned over to the park service. Now there is a nearly 300 mile long paved/crushed rock trail with no more than a +/- 3% grade that can take you from St. Louis to Kansas City...fantastic!!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

I have bicycled for about 60 years throughout the United States. Anyone looking for the best bicycle off-road trail, about 300 miles, in the United States, then I would highly recommend the KATY TRAIL in Missouri.
I have bike this 300 mile bike trail three times and enjoyed it every moment. Katy Trail was a old railroad, running from the Eastern part of Missouri to the Western part of Missouri known as Missouri, Kansas, Texas Railroad, (MKY or Katy). After the MKY discounted railroad service, the state of Missouri purchased the right of way through Missouri and paved it for walking and bicycling along a very scenic and serviceable trail.
If you are a bicycler, I would highly recommend the best and longest bicycle trail in the United States. Information can be obtained from the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

We biked the trail two days, starting about 9 am each day when the temperature was in the 60's. Even though the temperature quickly rose into the low 80's, the shaded trail made it bearable. One day we started at the depot in Sedalia, and had to bike about 3 miles to get to the Katy Trail, but it was on the outskirts of town and then by corn fields. The streets are well marked with directional signs so it was not difficult to find it. The second day was by Rocheport, and it was more scenic, passing by the Missouri River. A very cool tunnel is also close to the trail head. Historical markers are placed along the trail too. Since it is a rail-to trail path, not too much gradient, which makes for easy biking. My kind of trail! Lots of birds and the sound of locusts filled the air.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

While we were in Boonville, we saw the KATY Trail. I had biked on it a few years ago, but this time we were a foot. My wife & I took a 4 mile trip out and back from the down town area. It is well taken care of and maintained. Great place to walk or bike.