“Pleasantly Surprised”

Grand Plaza Hotel Branson
Ranked #52 of 133 Hotels in Branson
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My eighty-one year old mother bought a vacation package through Branson Getaways and this is the hotel we were assigned. After reading the mixed reviews, my expectations were very low, but we had a wonderful 4 day stay at the Grand Plaza. The front desk personnel were always very friendly and helpful. We hadn't made any special room requests before arriving, but when I asked for a ground level room so mom wouldn't have to climb stairs the front desk found us one. They explained that if we would park in back and come in the back door we could avoid any stairs. I had read several complaints in other reviews about the slow elevators, so we were thrilled not to have to use them except to go up to breakfast. We stayed during their slow season and didn't have any problems waiting for elevators in the mornings. Our room was very clean and appeared to be newly remodeled. I liked the eco friendly options offered for reusing towels and sheets and the dispensers in the showers for shampoo, conditioner and bath gel. The dispensers are mounted up high on the wall behind you, so if you take a bath they aren't very convenient.

Good A/C, fridge, large granite vanity inside the bathroom.The indoor pool, hot tub and exercise room all looked nice although we didn't use them. As mentioned in other reviews there is no fan in the bathroom for ventilation, it wasn't a huge problem, but I did notice it. Our room did not have a "do not disturb" sign to set out and I didn't see any others on our floor. The maid did knock on our door fairly early one morning, but didn't disturb us again when my sister told her we would be staying a few more days. Our room was always nicely made up when we got back at the end of the day. The location was excellent being centered about half way along the strip.

The breakfast was great with scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, sausage or ham, oatmeal, waffles, juices, hot chocolate, pastries (the mini chocolate muffins were my favorite) yogurt, cereal and fresh fruit.

Room Tip: If you don't want to use the elevators, or don't like to climb any stairs ask for a room on...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank GotaWearShades
GrandPlazaMgr, Front Office Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel Branson, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Dear GottaWearShades,

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Grand Plaza! Thank you for being so detailed in your review, so that others can get a good picture of what our hotel is like. I have passed on your review to the front desk staff, as it always helps to know they are doing a good job. I apologize that you didn’t have a Do Not Disturb sign for your room, but I want to assure you we have made sure all the rooms now have them. Our breakfast is always a big hit with guests, and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed it too. We sure hope that you will stay with us again the next time you come to Branson!

Much appreciation,

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Got this room through an auction, so cannot base a review on price paid, not sure how much the rooms go for. The hotel was nice and clean. We checked in around 5 and asked how late the hot tub was open, was told midnight. After going back out shopping and dinner, we returned to go to the hot tub around 9 pm, only to find it broken. I think they could have told us this when we asked how late it was open. Or at least had a sign up somewhere so we didnt go up to the room, change into swimsuits, come back down only to find it not working.
The free breakfast was very good. They had eggs, ham, biscuits and gravy, potatoes, cereal, waffles, fruit and doughnuts. Best free breakfast buffet I have had in awhile!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank karenpStLouis

Dear KarenpStLouis,
I apologize that the hot tub was closed during your stay. It was open that day until suddenly the pump went out and we had to close the hot tub for several days. I’m sorry that this happened during your stay. The hot tub is fixed and is up and running, and we will do our best to keep it that way. I am, however, happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and I hope you’ll come back and stay with us again. Thank you for letting us know about your stay as we take all of our comments seriously and try to take care of whatever issues arise immediately.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Agree with the other reviewer's positive comments about cleanliness, good breakfast, friendly staff. The location is ideal; close enough to the strip to be convenient, but not right on a busy road.

At first, we were given a room on the 8th floor under the kitchen area, but after mentioning I had read the review about these rooms possibly being noisy - the desk staff moved us to a room on the other end of the hall with no problem. Our room overlooked the front parking lot and had a great view of the hills.

The breakfast area has better seating than most hotels, and also operates as a restaurant in the evening. We had a reasonably priced supper there on our first evening. The wait staff were very friendly and kept the area quite clean.

Elevators were no worse than any other large hotel with many guests. We experienced only a few short waits at peak times.

Parking lot is hilly - but so is most of Branson! There is a level area for dropping off luggage.

Nice indoor pool and hot tub. Enjoyed the lemon flavored water available in the front lobby.

We stayed here as part of a timeshare presentation package - so did not have a choice- but when we return to Branson on our own, will definately consider staying here again.

Room Tip: rooms facing the front of the hotel have a nicer view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear budgettraveler55,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We try to accommodate all guests’ requests if possible, so I’m happy to hear that the front desk moved you to a room that was in a better location. Thank you for leaving positive comments about the cleanliness, staff, breakfast, and restaurant. The lemon flavored water is a new addition, and since it’s been such a big hit, we plan on keeping it around! The next time you come to Branson, we truly hope you choose to stay with us again.

Thanks,

Reviewed 28 April 2012

There are lots of hotels in Branson to stay - stay at any of them. I found the front desk personnel very rude and not wanting to help. If you don't like your job - find a new one. I stayed at the Grand Plaza for a two day event. I arrived in the morning of the 2nd day and no one at the desk knew of the event or where anything was held. they just did not seem interested enough to ask. Finally I ran into one of our members and he guilded me to where we to go. I let the desk know of our organization but no one even cared to write it down for the next guest asking. I was told the room was not ready at 11 am and to come back at 12. Not ready - come back at 1pm. Not ready come back at 2. Then I was told to wait until checkin at 3 pm. No one tried to call and see if the room could be cleaned a bit early. Later I came down and asked for change and was told "we don't give change to the machines. I pointed out that 3 floor are not accepting bills and if you want to come with me and see let's go.
Over all the room was nice , the food was good, the location was good. Just a bad front desk.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Keith b

Dear Keith b,
I want you to know that I have taken your review very seriously and have discussed the matter with the front desk. I apologize that my staff was rude and unaccommodating. Usually the front desk receives a list of what events are being held and which meeting rooms they are in. I apologize that we did not have the information on hand at the time, and we did not find it out for you. Check-in for all guests is guaranteed at 3pm. We try to accommodate early arrivals if we have a room ready, but on days with just as many check-outs as check-ins, it’s incredibly hard to do so. I apologize that the staff did not call housekeeping to see if your room could be cleaned ahead of time, but we had a lot of people trying to check in early and we cannot get all of the rooms ready early.
I have spoken to the agents about the change issue. I corrected their misunderstanding and let them know that they are to help you with anything that you need. I can assure you this response will not be given again. I do hope that this past experience will not deter you from staying with us in the future. We know that our reputation relies on each and every guest’s experience, and we would like another chance to show you why we believe we are the best hotel in Branson. Thank you for your comments as they have helped me improve our customer service.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Excellent breakfast! Comfy, quiet room. Fridge was a plus!

1  Thank YummyFoodFanboy
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Close to the strip, and comfy stay. The refrigerator in the room was a plus! Nice view and the breakfast was way above expectations! Definitely will go there again.

Room Tip: No bathroom exhaust fans, but everything else was perfect!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Called ahead and asked many questions before reserving a room. Wanted a large two bedroom with plenty of room to move around in. Rooms were small. The 2nd bathroom vanitywas almost too small to put a curling iron on. I was assured the room would be quite and 4 doors away frome anything that could cause noise. Behind my bed, the wall was adjacent to the two elevators that serivced the hotel. I need not say more. The curtain in my room was falling off the wall. The desk chair was so stained we asked for another. The staff was very kind and kelpful. Room appeared old even though I was told it was remodled in January.