“Beautiful stained glass windows!”

Grand Avenue Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 Carthage B&B and Inns
Columbia, Missouri
“Beautiful stained glass windows!”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This is the second time my family and I have stayed with Jeannie and Mike in Carthage, and it was great once again! Super comfortable bed, room was larger than last time and very comfortable, even with a roll-away bed. Breakfast featured buckwheat pancakes and fresh fruit -- wonderful to start our day. Best coffee around!

If you want to see beautiful, original stained glass, this is the place to go. Unique and incredibly detailed, too.

Wish we could have stayed longer -- see you again in the fall for State Soccer Championships.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I chose this property because all the hotels in Joplin were full, and I knew Carthage was close-by. What a great decision!! Bedding was the softest sheets I have ever used, bed was firm but still soft (no saggy in the middle), room was just the right size (could have used more hanging space) and shower was hot and strong pressure. The house is very well maintained and there is a great deal of original stained glass -- just beautiful. Common areas are welcoming and hosts were so nice (thanks, Jeannie and Mike). The breakfasts were outstanding!! Jeannie kept the food coming and it was hot and fresh. I especially loved the coffee which they were very generous with (allowed me to fill my travel mug).

Stay here rather than the big hotels in Joplin. No matter what you are doing in the area, you will love having this comfortable, beautiful place to return in the evening. My 9-year old son thought it was just grand! ;-) There were lots of games and videos for him to entertain himself with -- and wireless internet for me.

Room Tip: We had the Louisa May Alcott room (with a roll-away), and it was pretty limited. Still, it would be...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We showed up at the Grand Avenue Bed and Breakfast without giving our hosts much notice, but they graciously welcomed us, and even showed us all the rooms before we settled into the Laura Ingalls Wilder Room. It has an extremely comfortable king size bed with a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, which was a welcome addition. The house was charming, with lots of stained glass windows, and we were invited to use the big screen t.v. in the front parlor, even though we had a small t.v. in our bedroom. All the guest rooms were occupied, and it made for lots of interesting conversation around the breakfast table in the morning. Breakfast itself was delicious...yogurt with bananas and granola, sausage with delicious multi-grain pecan pancakes, as well as orange juice, and a variety of hot beverages to choose from. We mentioned that we loved the architecture of older homes, and we were given a brochure that detailed the location of the countless historic homes that were right there in the same neighborhood. I would definitely recommend this establishment as a great place to get a wonderful night's sleep, and to wake up to a delicious home-cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: Laura Ingalls Wilder Room is the only guest room located on the first floor, so there is plenty of p...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ThomasTCat
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed 18 August 2011

My husband and I stayed for a 1 night get away for his birthday. The house is very charming and comfortable. We enjoyed the jacuzzi and patio very much. The breakfast was delicious! We will be back. :)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phaedra O
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I stayed at the Grand B&B for work so I wasn't able to enjoy many of the amenities. But if I had a chance to go back for a weekend vacation I would. This place was very comfortable and the owners were so accommodating that it was really a haven after a long day at work. I recommend this place to anyone visiting the area because it was easy to travel back and forth between nearby towns and Carthage itself was an enjoyable little town with cute shops and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Enns, Austria
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Beautifully furnished Victorian house, but rather pricey for the size of the rooms. Breakfast was delicious!

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ikapl
Boston
Reviewed 2 February 2011

I have stayed at this B&B twice; the first time in summer 2007 and then again in late 2009. Having lived in Carthage as kids, my sisters and I stayed there for a reunion in 2007 in the EB White/Mark Twain suite. It was very comfortable, with plenty of room for the three of us and our "stuff." There's even a small in-ground pool in the backyard that we were able to enjoy in the hot SW Missouri heat!

The second visit our families booked the entire house for my mother's memorial service. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas, and Jeanne and Michael made our stay very special.

Breakfasts are wonderful! I highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carthage
2.3 km away
Days Inn Joplin
#8 of 23 in Joplin
19.5 km away
Best Western The Oasis at Joplin

Been to Grand Avenue Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!