“Awful Service”

Balaban's Wine Cellar and Tapas Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Balaban's Wine Cellar and Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 218 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2016 via mobile

If I could give zero stars, I would! I'm actually sitting in the restaurant still as I write this review. I was here for dinner tonight for a friends birthday and decided to take a bite of my spouses steak. There was a part of gristle or bone in the steak that I chipped my front tooth on!!! I told the waitress and gave her the piece of gristle/bone. Did I get even so much as an apology?!? NOPE! The waitress even came by and said, "I told my boss and took him the pieces, but I'm not sure what he's going to do." I said, "just an apology would okay." Still NOTHING! Walked out with $150 bill and no apology. I know they can't help that there was gristle/bone in the steak, but my god, they could have apologized!
UPDATE: right before we left, my friend's husband asked to speak to the manager. He came out and said, "it was an error on their part and they should have apologized." This was after some discussion. Too bad.

Reviewed November 2, 2016

I really enjoyed our meal at Balaban's. The atmosphere is sort of cozy. The service was great. It seemed a little expensive to me.

Reviewed October 18, 2016

Food was great and the drink selection as well. A bit pricey, but a nice place overall. I would recommend the Beef Wellington.

Reviewed July 31, 2016

Three of us enjoyed our weekday lunch at Balban's. Selected the Margherita flatbread, salmon sandwich and lunch combo. All were good. Nice table service by Adriane.

Reviewed July 24, 2016

Skip it if you're in a hurry. After taking our order, the server said, "I'll get your order right into the kitchen." We thought "What's the alternative? Sit on it for 15 minutes?" Good thing she did. It took the longest time for the first course and way too long between courses. We got in without a reservation and I'd say it was 1/3 empty the whole time. Not a big strain on the kitchen.

The food was OK. Goat cheese stuffed 'shrooms, pear & pecan salad, stuffed chicken. All decent and at a good price.