“Best Steak Ever!!”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: CHESTERFIELD AIRPORT ROAD
Reviewed July 9, 2018

I try to stop here every time I am in the area. Wonderful steaks and the sides and salads are delicious. While certainly not the cheapest food you will find, it is by far has some of the best.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

Annie Gunn's is known for their steak, and my 16-ounce ribeye was spectacular -- cooked perfectly, with a fabulous crust and just enough (which is to say a lot of) seasoning. The whipped potatoes were sinfully rich, as well. But the desultory asparagus was mediocre and slightly overcooked, and the butternut squash was ... butternut squash. Seriously, who puts plain, cubed butternut squash on every plate -- especially in the middle of the summer? Bread pudding for dessert was adequate, with too much bourbon in the sauce, and certainly nowhere near as remarkable as the waitress seemed to think.

And that's another major problem. When I drop a couple of hundred bucks for dinner, I want the service to be unobtrusive. At Annie Gunn's, they seem to pride themselves on their obtrusiveness, with waiters, managers and, I don't know, valet parkers interrupting your meal every five minutes to ask how it is. Meanwhile, we had reservations for 8:30 but were seated at 9, I asked for a gin martini and was served one with vodka (which had the living daylights shaken out of it), our table was in the back room which was painfully loud -- a table of tipsy women, which is not the fault of the restaurant but was still unpleasant -- and I was seated right in front of a fan on the floor that kept up a continual draft, until I moved.

None of this would be a problem for an ordinary restaurant, but this is supposed to be among the best places in town.

Reviewed July 8, 2018

My wife & I stopped in to Annie Gunn's for a mid-afternoon lunch after some Sunday shopping in the vicinity. We had not been there in several years (pretty far from our house), and the business has done nothing but get even better over that time. We were greeted very cordially & seated immediately at a table in the bar area, with several regulars & maybe future regulars filling the bar stools and chatting with the very friendly bartender. The restaurant interior & the Sunday afternoon clientele lend an atmosphere reminiscent of an upscale country club, mixing casual tones with an air of elegance. It's a very comfortable space for enjoying a wonderful meal.

Our waitress Ericka was very attentive & personable, and she kept our table cleared of completed dishes & used silverware while bringing regular refills for our soft drinks. My aged & smoked prime beef brisket sandwich on a flavorful brioche bun was by far the best tasting beef sandwich I've ever tasted, while the housemade coleslaw matched it in quality & rich flavor. My wife's Reuben sandwich was equally tasty, and the French fries on the side were hot with a crispy exterior & good potato flavor. We each had enough left over for a dinner portion, so we were unable to sample any of their great sounding desserts.

We will definitely return to Annie Gunn's at our next opportunity, maybe next time to splurge a little for a steak or a chop or a half chicken entree. Whatever they serve is bound to be a winner.

Reviewed July 6, 2018 via mobile

It’s real simple: this is the best steak you will ever have. The ribeye is tender, delicious and perfectly cooked every time. I’ve eaten there many times and have never had anything but excellent food and service. The wine selection is phenomenal as well.

Reviewed June 26, 2018

Wanted to try AG for years and finally did. A great experience from walking in to walking out. In between everything was great! We had no wait time at all, were seated immediately. Our server (Phil) was the perfect blend of helpfulness and friendliness, without the typical constant interruption of questions often experienced at other places. He served us very professionally with a comfortable and welcoming demeanor. Our meals were the best! From the first bite, my husband and I both remarked at the amazing flavors. It was just a BLT and a French Dip but, oh my gosh, it was delicious! We never order dessert, but did this time, and the ice cream topped apple pie was superb! A pleasant surprise awaited next door at the Smokehouse Market, and if we were not both so stuffed, we would have surely bought a few items there, Shall I say we may have come home with a whole apple pie, if we had not been in a food coma?

Been to Annie Gunn's? Share your experiences!