“Nice restaurant with interesting menu”

Don Juan's Sayulita
Ranked #29 of 160 Restaurants in Sayulita
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2017

Had a delicious dinner with friends here. Good food and convenient location, just off the main road to Puerto Vallarta.

Reviewed May 24, 2017

We sat inside rather than closer to the door to avoid the dusty street, but it was so dark in there!! I ordered the house salad with chicken and it contained lots of fresh vegetables but the sauce was too sweet and there was way too much of it, so next time I'd order it with the sauce on the side. My companion pronounced the enchiladas delicious. My only complaint is the poor lighting, I could barely read the menu!

1  Thank xena888
Reviewed May 11, 2017

Our family of eight visited Don Juan's restaurant in Sayulita to celebrate the Mexican Mother's Day and the bon voyage of a dear friend. Don Juan's, on the Punta de Mita highway offers traditional Mexican and non-traditional cuisine. We started with a round of drinks and a calamari appetizer. The piña coladas were very rich, creamy and delicious. The calamari was average and the portion size was sufficient for up to 4 people. While tasty, it was made from larger, less tender squid rings. We then moved on to the main course. I must say the Chile in Nogada was the most unique Mexican main course I have experienced in 30 years of travel in Mexico. As a person who loves to cook, I desire to enjoy unique offerings or a complicated dish that I wouldn't attempt at home. The Chile in Nogada immensely satisfied both desires. It combined savory seasoned ground pork and beef with sweeter fruits such as pear, banana, peach and pomegranate, as well as nuts inside a mild poblano chile. The chile was covered in a delicious creamy cheese sauce. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite as I slowly worked my way towards the finish. The rice and beans that accompanied the dish were typical Mexican fare, but added needed balance to the richness of the stuffed chile. Other people at the table enjoyed their non-traditional meals that included shrimp and seafood pastas, spinach salads and chicken fried chicken with gravy, mash potatoes and vegetables. Given the name one wouldn't expect Don Juan's to do Italian and American cuisine as well as they do it. Everyone's meal was reported to be delicious and generous with the portions.

The service matched the food experience. The bilingual were quick to greet us and very attentive. When we unexpectedly were joined by additional family, they quickly added an additional table and somehow managed to have their main course ready shortly after our original party received their food. Four desserts selections are offered including flan and a banana split. The selected brownie a la mode with vanilla ice cream was reported to be average to good. With such an expansive selection of main courses, the dessert ert menu is a little lacking. However, the generous portions tone down the desire for dessert.

As a full-time resident of Sayulita who has been to many traditional and non-traditional restaurants in the Sayulita culinary scene, Don Juan's stands at the top of the list in consistency of servíce and food that many times is lacking at even the so-called premium restaurants in Sayulita. You cannot go wrong enjoying the Don Juan experience. As Americans living full-time in Sayulita we occasionally enjoy the taste of home. I only hesitantly give it 4 stars as the calamari needs improvement and it was a little buggy at dusk. Wear pants or apply bug repellent if going at night. If I could, I would give it a 9/10 and within the Sayulita culinary scene it is a 10/10.

2  Thank Charlie B
Reviewed May 2, 2017

Our group of five ardered 2 appetizers the fried calamari & Guacamole... we all had a main & two had salads & one tortilla soup. Every item was made to order, took what I consider appropriate time when making fresh food from scratch. My pasta was cooked perfectly, the fish dish and meat dishes were a culinary treat and the prices are so fair. My family will be back soon! Our new favorite restaurant!

1  Thank Tate S
Reviewed April 28, 2017 via mobile

Don Juans is my favourite little secret in Sayulita. The dish I can't stay away from is the Molcajetes.
I love the tomatillo sauce and nopal and green onion
with delicious shrimp. They also make a beautiful new dish that is on the lighter side. It's a stack of grilled veggies ( eggplant, peppers) with a wonderful drizzle of dressing. I'm making my way through the menu.....

2  Thank Effie B