“Best Instructor Ever!!!”
Review of I Love Waves

I Love Waves
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: I Love Waves organizes surf lessons in and around the Sayulita and Punta Mita area. Our surf lessons allow you to truly become the best surfer you can be, with plenty of time in the water, theory lessons, equipment and wave knowledge seminars with expert surf instruction everyday.
Reviewed November 11, 2016 via mobile

Kalle is an amazingly patient, professional, and skilled instructor. He taught us not only how to surf but also how to understand what we were doing out on the water - from reading waves to how to manouver our boards and so much more. We were quickly catching waves far bigger than we had ever expected and completely fell in love with surfing. We highly recommend taking surf lessons with Kalle, whether you are a complete beginner or an experienced surfer. We'll definitely be back and we plan to surf every single day.

Date of experience: November 2016

Reviewed November 4, 2016

Surf lessons with Kalle are worth every cent, I doubt anyone could find a better instructor. I improved more in a week than I had over the last couple of years. I am an intermediate-level surfer and Kalle was able to help improve every aspect of my surfing from paddling and wave selection to surfing the waves. On my last day I even nailed a front-side cutback! He pushed me to constantly analyse what I was doing, which has got me in the mindset for continued improvement back in Australia - I have a list of things I know to think about for every wave. As well as a daily surf lesson, we had one theory lesson looking at a Powerpoint presentation and youtube videos and also a video analysis session (Kalle arranged for a local videographer) which was hugely beneficial. I think coaching with Kalle would be valuable for surfers at every level, including very experienced surfers. I just wish I had had the benefit of his expertise as well as Sayulita’s mellow waves when I first started.

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed July 22, 2016

Sayulita is filled with surf schools and surf instructors, but Kalle Carranza and I Love Waves is by far the best choice. Here's why:

I took a trip to Sayulita with a friend to have a great adventure, visit an awesome little town filled with art and character, but, most importantly, to finally step up and dedicate real time to learning how to surf. Both residents of Los Angeles and avid water people, we have each had our fair share of whirlwind surf instruction at home -- from both friends and instructors. Every time I have been out on a board, I have always felt like I was missing information -- that my water knowledge was good on its own, but that I was not being given the tools I needed to put my instinct and feel for the water to work. Then, we met Kalle.

On top of being an absolutely phenomenal human being, Kalle's knowledge of water and of the break in Sayulita in particular was immediately apparent. His enthusiasm was infectious. On day 1, in less than 15 minutes of just talking, we already had far more knowledge and information than any other surf instructor had given us in the past. In our first lesson, we were both standing up on almost every wave. On day 2, we were using more tools Kalle gave us to paddle into our own waves, and we were catching almost everything we went for. By day 3, Kalle gave us the information we need to be able to read waves, fellow surfers, and to be able to paddle for and catch our own waves back at home. We are no longer nervous to go out into a lineup in Los Angeles and charge after waves, even though there is still a lot to learn and a lot of development to be had. Any instructor can get you to stand up on a wave, but passing on the confidence, knowledge, and pure love for waves that we gathered from our days with Kalle make every moment and every penny absolutely worth it. Looking around the beach during our week in Sayulita, we felt insanely lucky that we chose Kalle and I Love Waves over all of the other options. Anyone can walk up to a tent on the beach and rent boards, but none of those people were given the kind of guidance that we had. And past that -- the guys at Lunazul (the shop where I Love Waves is based) are also amazing. They looked out for us in the water when we were on our own, cheered us on when we were on waves, and had amazing energy every time we saw them. I would recommend instruction from Kalle to anyone going to Sayulita, and even for simple board rental, there is no reason to look anywhere but Lunazul. You won't be disappointed.

* We also took yoga from Eva, through the I Love Waves surf and yoga package. I'll write another review for her, but she's both beautiful on the inside and outside, but was a real joy to practice with! Yoga and surf was a great combo, and definitely worth trying out!

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed May 15, 2016

Ask yourself if you want to learn to surf or want to learn HOW to surf? What’s the difference? The difference is in wanting to REALLY learn HOW to surf, you want to learn how to be smart and efficient with not just your technique, but also your awareness and how to adjust. You want to learn how to be safe, and be fearless. You want to grow as a surfer. You want to get out of the white and into the green waves. You want to be taken to the next level of not just strength and skill, but also confidence. If this sounds like you, then you need to book with Kalle. He is an extraordinary, experienced, talented surfer and genuine human being, who’s passion and enthusiasm will rub off on you, and will leave you wanting more - more waves, more surf time. He has a great ability to break things down, leaving you with an understanding of all the little things that build you to become better, and has many helpful pearls of wisdom to help you become smarter and more efficient when surfing. You will be stoked and will want to keep on paddling and hunting waves! I’ve had many other surf coaches on many other surf trips. Kalle was one of the best surf coaches I’ve ever had, and refined my surfing to another level. He’s the best there is. You won’t just get a coach out of Kalle, you will receive a genuine good person who will elevate you to the next level.

Date of experience: May 2016
KalleCarranza, Manager at I Love Waves, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2016

Thank you so much Sonia. I really appreciate your kind words.
Looking forward to meeting up in Vancouver in the Summer!!!

Kalle

See more reviews
Reviewed May 10, 2016

I've done surf trips through the years and had many lessons with lots of great instructors, but lessons with Kalle are in a different caliber. His surfing knowledge, intelligent teaching style and years of experience make him the ideal instructor for those of us wanting to get out of the white water and surf real waves yet not get throttled by a local we've pissed off with our surfing ignorance.
If you really want to learn how to surf, Kalle is the best there is.

Date of experience: May 2016
1  Thank Katrina S
KalleCarranza, General Manager at I Love Waves, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2016

Kat,

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate the feedback, especially coming from you that has done lessons all over the place. Gracias.

I'm looking forward to hopefully organizing that paddling clinic we were talking about in Vancouver. :)

See you hopefully soon!