“Very disappointing”
Review of Shep's Southside - CLOSED

Shep's Southside
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My son and I had been there before this particular trip. It was a bit pricey and the service was lackluster, but the turkey sandwich was pretty good.

Family was in town from Springfield and Columbia. We went in at a few minutes after seven. There were a few customers, but it wasn't really busy.

Service was slow and our waitress could not answer questions without further consultation. The potatoes, whether fried or baked, were cold. A replacement baked potato did arrive in less than five minutes, but also cooled just as quickly. However, the steamed veggies were good. The house vinaigrette is also good.

I am certain that reflections of that evening will begin with, "Remember when we let her choose the restaurant". I (we) won't be returning.

1  Thank MRC1008

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This restaurant is a new one and I wanted to like it. I wanted it to succeed partly because it's in my neighborhood. But I've been there three times at lunch, and I cannot recommend it. The food is good ... when it finally arrives. But the service is MISERABLE. All three times, it took a long time for someone to seat me. Then a long time for someone to take my order. Last time I was there (just last week), I had to wait 40 minutes for my burger and fries.

Good food. HORRIBLE service. Don't try to go there during a 60-minute lunch hour.

2  Thank LisaFoxJC
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hubby and I went in for lunch last Saturday, waited for a table and thought that was great, they are popular. Well after waiting it was not worth the wait. My burger was to be well done and it was undercooked. The meat did not taste fresh, actually maybe a day past "good". The side of broccoli was way overcooked. The portion of broccoli was tiny. The tablespoon of avocado I paid extra for was not worth the extra money. We waited over half hour after ordering, tables sat after were eating. I am suspicious that communication between wait staff and kitchen is poor. Hubby ordered the steak sandwich special, he said " OK, nothing great". The quaint dining room and comfy setting has potential, the kitchen needs to catch up. Wait staff need to get some training.

2  Thank RacieKate
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Small, out of the way location. I have been to Shep's for lunch and dinner, and enjoyed them both. From a sandwich, to a burger to the chicken pasta. It's all been good! Our first visit, we were with a group of 15 and the service was wonderful. It's a fun, local owned restaurant. The food has always been good, the service has gotten better. I hope the locals support this place. They have a few bottled beers and wine coolers.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Let me first say that the food itself is fabulous. The quality, once you get your order, is excellent. No complaints there. I would, however, have to echo the lack of customer service training.

I went to this restaurant at 7pm on a Wednesday evening. There were not very many people eating and a few servers. There were 5 other people in our party. After about 30 minutes, we were able to place our orders. 4 people received their food about 30-40 minutes after that. I waited for 45 minutes before finding out that they were out of baked potatoes, my side item. Rather than wait for them to prepare something else as a side, I just requested my food. Fast forward another 1/2 hour and I still didn't have food. My entire experience was an hour and a half and I never had a bite to eat. The total cost of my meal would have been $20, I was eventually apologize to with a $10 gift card. While the sentiment was nice, it was hardly compensation for my time. 1 other diner left without eating,either. 2 people from our party had steaks and had to ask for a steak knife twice. Once it came, our server was stunned that they both wanted one.

I know there was a new server there, but i also think that she was set up for failure since no one was there with her to train her properly. No one wanted to take responsibility for the shortcomings, they opted to throw the new girl under the bus. If you see someone struggling, for goodness sake, help her. Neither the manager or the more experienced server stepped in to help. That was disappointing.

I did return with my $10 gift card and my son during lunch on a Saturday, things ran much smoother and the food was excellent. I just wish eating there would be a consistently good experience.

1  Thank sweet037