“Sad to see this property so run dowm”

Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Jefferson City
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Like the other comments that I have read, this property has just simply run down not only in it's physical properties but also in staff. I have stayed at this hotel for many years and find that each time it slips a little more. I generally make another choice when I have business in Jeff City. Believe me there are many, many other better choices. But I stayed at this hotel 2 weeks ago because my event was planned there. The front desk check in at 8:30 pm on March 5th felt like checking into a Motel 6 or another low end property. The 2 staff member behind the desk were quite busy talking about a personal issue and I was clearly interrupting and was made to feel like I was bothering them. I was back at the desk a 2nd time later in the evening and got the same treatment. The smiling housekeepers and other staff are gone. The housekeeper that I ask a question of didn't understand English and hurried off. It was clean the cleaning standards have reduced considerably. I have long since given up on the restaurant. But this time I did try the breakfast buffet on Tuesday morning. How hard can that be? Apparently it is still a do it yourself affair ( find your own water, coffee, creamer, etc) and most guest waited in a long line at the cash register. This person was very overwhelmed. It seems like simple math to know how many events and guest that you have and consider that at least some of them would want to try the breakfast buffet. It shouldn't be a surprise. What's up with no internet except thru some strange company that seems to be in some foreign country? No USP ports in your room? Really?

Room Tip: If your conference or meeting is at this hotel, you would be better off driving in from one of the q...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank connieb123
JeffCityGM, Front Office Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Your review of our hotel has been very valuable. It was also very disappointing. Your stay was unacceptable from the beginning to the end. I have shared your experience with all the departments involved. We are very proud of the service we provide. On a daily basis we are focused on training and improving our guest’s experience. Our management staff as well as our associates took all your comments to heart. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. It is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I have been staying at the Capitol Plaza when on business trips to Jefferson City for the last eight years. It is the best place in Jefferson City if you have any business at the Capitol Building. I will stay again. It is not a luxury hotel, but that is not why you would go there. On my most recent stay the room was clean and comfortable and as quiet as can be expected in a downtown area. The televisions have been updated recently to flat screens. Service is generally good. We did have issues with the workout room, it is little toward the stuffy side, too warm, not enough airflow, machines were in good condition though. The property is starting to show signs of neglect, and judging from management responses to other reviews, they are trying to update. The parking garage and connecting elevator need some serious paint and cleaning. The carpet in the main atrium is worn out. As I said earlier, I will be back and I expect these issues to be addressed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Arch_9
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Looking for a weekend of romance, my wife and I booked a room at the Capitol Plaza. Based on earlier reviews we'd heard the atrium had a waterfall from ceiling to floor, a nice breakfast, and, for a bit more money, a romance package. It seemed perfect, so we booked it.

Upon arrival, we were impressed with the ease of check-in and the parking. For the price, however, there was no bell service, so we spent a while lugging our luggage up to our room (perhaps that's why they call it luggage).

On first glance, the room seemed fine. According to our Romance Package, however, we were supposed to have a room with a special view... in our case, special means a Model 324D Rooftop Air Conditioning Unit. In addition, instead of finding a chilled bottle of champagne in the room, we had to call the front desk to order it. Once it arrived, however, we popped the cork and had a couple of glasses. The champagne was excellent. One of the best bottles I've had.

On our way to dinner, we decided to take a tour of the hotel. It was nice, but a few notches south of luxury. The middle atrium was open, but there was no waterfall, just a few empty chairs waiting for patrons to also discover a lack of activities and take a rest.

After dinner, there was really nothing to do, so we returned to our room... only to find it reeking of cigarette smoke. Because there were notices warning that smoking in one's room would earn a $200 plus cleaning fee, we called the desk to inform them that we weren't the ones smoking in the room.

The front desk sent a maintenance man to the room, but he couldn't discover the source of the smell. He offered to change the air conditioning filters, but told us that the floor we were on was once the smoker's floor, so we would probably smell the smoke as long as the air conditioner was on. Really?

By the next morning, my wife was sick and unable to breath through her nose after a night of breathing in the stale smoke smell.

And that's how our romantic weekend went.... up in smoke.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 2nd floor and ask for a floor that has never been a smoker's room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank etherius
JeffCityGM, Front Office Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Your comments are greatly appreciated both the negative and positive. I would like to extend our sincerest apologies to your wife. We are currently updating the waterfall and the project is almost complete. We do not have a bell staff but there is always someone more that willing to assist our guests. Your review has been shared with our management staff as well as our associates. There is always room for improvement. Again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our goal is always to achieve the highest level of service.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

This place is old and rundown and is an embarrassment. I hope people that come to see our state Capitol don't think the people of Missouri live like this.

Service stinks. The following things were broken: sauna, hot tub, waterfall, tv. The fitness room is a joke and there were loud groups here both nights I was here.

Avoid staying here.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Steffadoll
JeffCityGM, Front Office Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Thank you sharing your experience with us. We are currently udating the waterfalls and tv's.
Unfortunately there is no convenient time to schedule these projects without impacting our guests. We are excited about the updates and are looking forward to the completion of these projects. I am sorry that your past stay with us was so disappointing. I would like to invite you back to stay with us in the future. We would like to be your hotel of choice during your visits to Jefferson City.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Stayed two different times due to conferences and meetings at the Capitol. Our first room was 611 and the second 421 which is a handicap accessible room. Dates were Jan 23 and Jan 30 & 31. Check in was smooth and rooms were available at check in time. Both rooms were clean, comfortable and we were not bothered by noises either stay.

During our last stay we had three large group meals. The food was good, the service was just as good and efficiently presented. The staff at all events and housekeeping staff were very courteous and friendly.

It seems that this hotel has problems keeping its two elevators operational. During both stays at least one of the elevators was not operational at some point. To help accommodate the guests reaching their rooms access to the service elevator was provided. This helped reduce the wait.

Having access to both covered and outdoor parking is a plus, especially if there is severe weather. The proximity to the Truman Office Building and State Capitol are major advantages for staying here. Conference and banquet facilities are also positive features.

The waterfall was non operational during both stays which made for a quieter hotel but not necessarily an improvement. Will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Harold J
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My wife and I stayed in July 2011 and were so thrilled with the experience we brought the whole family to stay over Christmas. The Executive Suite was beautiful and allowed us to seperate the children from the adults while still maintaining security and safety. The staff at this fine hotel are completely interested in making you comfortable and happy. This will be our place to stay anytime we come home to Jefferson City for a visit. Thank you for 2 awesome experiences in 2011.

Room Tip: The executive suite is the best value for any family!!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank David S
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We just stayed for 2 nights here. It's got a beautiful waterfall in the atrium. We felt our room was clean but the bed was actual torture. The mattress was like a cement slab and it had 4 of the smallest, hardest pillows we've ever seen. Think the size of a travel pillow. My husband asked for 3 more and we received them promptly but they were, of course, more of the same. We both hardly slept and woke up the next day with terrible back/neck aches. And, the bathroom is very small. 2 of us could not be in the bathroom getting ready at the same time. The door comes within inches of hitting the toilet when you open it. No Fridge if you like having those available.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple