“Mixed Feelings - Great Experience - Would probably be a special event type place”
Review of Krokstrom Klubb

Krokstrom Klubb
Ranked #140 of 1,519 Restaurants in Kansas City
Reviewed January 9, 2017

Krokstrom Klubb is a Scandinavian restaurant that is right up my family's alley. They are direct descendants from Norway. The grandmother has bibles and recipes written in Norwegian. Family favorites are lefse and swedish meatballs. Lutefisk must be an acquired taste, because only granmda likes it.

Krokstrom does a fabulous job recreating the look, feel and taste of Scandinavian countries. The restaurant is comprised of three different areas: market, bar and seating. The market is a tiny raised area up front that sells Scandinavian goods, towels and other country based items. The bar is fairly simple with iron chairs and tile counter top. The restaurant is heavy wood flooring and tables with lots of country based decorations. It's beautiful. We all took time to look through the little market and cruise memory lane.

Service here is mixed. They are highly knowledgeable. You can tell they are used to describing the food for non-Scandinavians. They also do a fabulous job guiding you to choices based on your input and likes. They were attentive throughout the meal. What bothered me was the pushing. I felt as if we were on a timer. The server had a script to follow and we were going to the next phase ready or not.

The food for me was mostly sweet based. Granted lingonberries are the unofficial fruit of Sweden, it's over used for my tastes. I would put Krokstrom's menu into two categories (seafood or sweet). Every menu items seemed to have one of those two as the base. That said, I still enjoyed exploring the menu.

Smorrebrod is an open-faced single slice of bread with toppings. The Swedish Meatball Smorrebrod was flavorful. The lingonberries on top and in the mayonnaise spread made it too sweet. The pork belly dish sounds odd, but was almost one of the best dishes on the table. Again, I would have liked it without the marmalade. The Charcuterie plates were fabulous. I cannot remember the meats on the cured meat board or the cheeses on Ost board. The servers explained each one and their taste perfectly. Both boards came with traditional Knackebrod (crispbread). Their lefse & cardamon butter was dusted with powder sugar. The swedish egg coffee was really nice. The egg gives a silk mouth feel. It's made with a french press, so no egg bits make it into the coffee. The pear cake and prinsesstarta were really nice desserts.

I highly recommend the place. Come experience the Scandinavian culture and food. They know what they are doing. Be aware that this place is not cheap. The plates are tapas. To truly try all they have to offer, you will rack up a hefty bill $7 and 9 per plate.

Reviewed October 8, 2016

One can get fleeced in Kansas City without visiting any Scandinavian sheep venture.
This restaurant is a relatively newcomer to the KC restaurant scene. The main concern is that the portions are small and quite expensive for what they offer. Examples of this: The cheese table three ridiculous small portions of cheese with some crudities added to fill the board and appear more abundant, also the dessert pastries are few and worse yet,of poor quality. In between the steamed mussels were clearly not fresh with too much of a fishy taste that we could not finish them. The press pork belly sandwich was good and so was the overpriced mushroom strudle. The salmon table had few pieces of average cured salmon augmented by stripes of pickled zucchini to fill the board. The decor is bizarre somewhat between a bar and a restaurant area which, to their credit, has tablecloth covered tables. The red plastic wall back covering is a throw back to the drug store days, no jukebox though.
The service was friendly but disorganized. We had to ask for bread 3 times before they delivered.
Perhaps this place is best suited for one small dish and drink during happy our.

Reviewed October 3, 2016

A seriously authentic Scandanavian restaurant from the build-out, to the menu, to the bar, to the kitchen talent.
We had brunch, and it was delightful. The drink menu is unique as is the food menu. Many, many delectable choices to choose from and a knowledgeable staff to educate a new patron. I can't wait to return.
Please note, portions are small, which will allow you to sample many different flavors.

Reviewed September 15, 2016

the existence of this place surprised me. it came to my attention through a sponsored Facebook post. it is located in a part of the city which is experiencing a bit of a renaissance. there is both street parking and a large surface lot behind the building. online reservations are available on their website powered by yelp. it attracts a diverse crowd, families, oldsters and in betweens. the dining room is good sized with a prominent rectangular shaped bar. the decor is a minimal modern. there are extensive drink and food menus. she had a selections of aquavits, a flavored spirit that is principally produced in Scandinavia served in an attractive and diminutive lily shaped glass, about an ounce and a half. we shared the smoked trout potato cakes and the cloud berry open face sandwich. both were were delicious and an idea portion for a couple to share to have a nice taste of the dish without being overwhelmed by the quantity of food. we really liked the smoked trout and there was no item on the menu that featured it so we asked the server is the chef would prepare an item that feature it. viola! a sizable portion of smoked trout on dark bread with an array of accouterments. the server was attentive and professional, exhibiting a knowledge of ingredients and flavors. we had a wonderful evening, a wonderful meal and are looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed September 9, 2016

Not all people love Scandinavian food, but I am a person who does. I took my friend who is not familiar with Scandinavian cuisine, and she loved Krokstrom as much as I did. I have traveled in Sweden, Denmark and Finland, and I found this to be on par with the food I had while I was there. The service was great. The only sad part is that they are only open for lunch on Friday and Saturday so it is harder to pay an impulsive visit.

To start we shared the lefse sausage, with was really good. My friend and I commented that we could have eaten two plates of it, not just one! We both had the Toast Skagen. It had great flavors and the crispness of the toast and cucumber nicely offset the creamy texture of the prawns and sauce. Delicious, and also just the right amount for lunch. I left feeling full but not in an uncomfortable way.

I'll be back for lunch, brunch and dinner in the future. The atmosphere was comfortable, light and cozy. Can't wait to visit again!