“Nice property”

Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Overland Park, Kansas
“Nice property”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We've stayed here several times and prefer it to other area hotels. Our recent stay was on January 28th. The property is nice and the rooms are spacious. We had a small balcony with a nice view of the Plaza. We enjoyed listening to the band and having some drinks at the hotel bar. I read previous reviews regarding people not feeling safe walking to and from the Plaza and we did not find that to be the case at all. The hotel is within walking distance to lots of great restaurants and shops. I would recommend this this hotel to anyone visiting KC.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Please know we appreciate your positive comments and obviously, we are happy you enjoyed your stay. Our live music (always with a jazz influence) on Thursday's, Friday's and Saturday's continues to be very popular. We're glad you were able to catch one of the shows. Thanks also for pointing out that you felt safe on the Plaza. We really believe the two comments made recently by other guests resulted from isolated acts. The Plaza has always been one of the safest areas anywhere in the metropolitan area.

Again, thanks for your comments and thank you for your business. It would be our pleasure to serve you again the next time your travels bring you to Kansas City.

Don Breckenridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. We wanted to be on the plaza for shopping and New Year's. Our balcony had a small plaza view and the room was comfortable.

• Stayed December 2011
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We're happy to learn you enjoyed your stay and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again when you return to Kansas City.

Oregon
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. We booked directly through the hotel website as to guarantee a room with a view of the Plaza lights. We were offered a gorgeous room and we were delighted by the view! The service was outstanding from start to finish. We were upgraded upon check-in - such a nice touch! We experienced a lack of hot water one morning. When we alerted the front desk of the problem they had a solution within 60 seconds. The hot water was restored and a call from management followed within 5 minutes. We could not have asked for a better or more appropriate response!

I do not know why this hotel receives so many mixed reviews. For a discerning traveler it is simply the place to stay in Kansas City. We were traveling with our kids and they, too, were treated with the utmost respect. And if the kids are happy, everyone is happy...

The InterContinental has certainly earned our approval and we look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed January 2012
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all, please accept my aplogies for just now responding to your review. I check this site daily, but saw your review for the first time today, even though the site indicates the review was posted on January 21.

Thank you for your 5 star review! So pleased to see you were upgraded and enjoyed your room and the spectacular view of the Plaza lights! Your comments about our outstanding service levels will be shared with the team. I'm sorry about the hot water issue you experienced, but happy our staff reacted promptly and in a manner that exceeded your expectations.

We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and we look forward to serving you in the near future.

New York
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Stayed here for a few days right after Christmas (when it was actually quite warm in KC).

In terms of location, in KC this hotel is hard to beat. Right on the hill overlooking Country Club Plaza, in walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. I enjoyed just going down the hill and shopping or going to the bookstore or Starbucks to get a coffee and read. There are a lot of nice restaurants on the Plaza - Plaza III steakhouse was great, and I really liked the organic restaurant called "Ingredient" located just down from Plaza III. I thought there was a pretty good nightlife scene later on as well with plenty of bars to choose from.

Back to the hotel, which had a nice staff and helpful doormen. I also liked the fireplace and main lounge dining room with a nice view over the Plaza. Very cozy with the fire going, and a nice place to read the paper and have a coffee in the morning.

In terms of my room, it was spacious, had very comfortable beds, nice furnishings and was large - even with a balcony with a table and chairs. Bigger than your normal nice 3-4 star hotel room for sure. The bathroom was also large, although the finishings were not all that new but certainly adequate. One issue I had with my room was the TV and lack of good HD service or a good picture. I guess it could have been my particular TV set, but it just had poor reception.

The gym downstairs is fine, nice equipment, although only medium-sized. I also stayed at the Crown Plaza which has a much bigger gym area and year-round pool - the Intercontinental's pool is closed during winter unfortunately.

Overall, I'd say the hotel is nice - in my opinion more like a 3.5 star hotel than a 4 star, but frankly having stayed in most of the higher-end hotels in KC I'd say that there's simply not that many that are really truly 4-star compared to the other cities I've stayed in (NYC, London, DC, Chicago etc.). But for Kansas City this is certainly one of the nicest, if not the nicest hotels in town. And the location is hard to beat if you like that area and want to be near some of the better shops and restaurants in town. I would give it 3.5 stars out of 5 in total.

Room Tip: The rooms looking out over the Plaza are nice and quite large for this type of hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 22 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We're happy to learn how much you enjoyed the hotel and that you think it's the nicest hotel in Kansas City.

We hope your travels return you to our great city in the near future and when they do, it would be our honor to serve you again.

Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Staying here transports you back to the time of masquerade balls and grand receptions, like you would see from the 1920's (oak paneled walls were a nice touch) . I loved it. The staff, everyone of them, went out of their way to assist in any way. The rooms were great, especially the magnificent overview of the Plaza from our balcony. Great amenities, great surroundings and great location when visiting KC. The Oak Room restaurant was great for breakfast, and the lobby featured live entertainment in the evenings (its hard to beat listening to live piano, watching tap dancing and downing a smooth cocktail next to the fire place after a day of conference). I don't want to know what the boss paid for the rooms, but I would definitely like to stay here again if the opportunity arose.

Room Tip: Great views overlooking the Plaza, if you plan on being in your room for any amount of time
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your 5-star review!

We're very pleased to learn you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and that time allowed you to enjoy breakfast in the Oak Room (view is incredible) and the live entertainment in the Oak Bar.

We will look forward to serving you again on your next trip to our great city!

Driggs, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 14 January 2012

First, Let me say, We are not too hard to please, and are very easy going, pleasant people, with expectations within reason.

RUDE service at the check in and check out.

This Hotel is AWFUL-I read all the reviews and decided I wanted to give it a try. BAD mistake. I am so dissappointed. We worked hard and saved for this trip and what a let down.

AWFUL Service. Dirty Room, phone did not work, some electrical outlets did not work, wall in room above bed had visible water damage from above, furnace rattled when it turned off waking us up each time, etc. etc.

Whoever made the decision to buy the new TINY televisions should be fired. Brand new digital televisions with a picture that is so small it was difficult to see well from the bed or anywhere in the room and made the stay even more unenjoyable. With all of todays choices for television-these guys took the cheapest route possible, this says alot about the rest of the experience.

BEWARE, the parking garage has no signs about the cost to park and the front desk won't tell you the real cost to park, they will spring it on you when you check out. I don't mind a fair parking price, but for the price we paid to stay here, parking should be included, the lot was never even close to being ful. or at least have the courtesy let me know up front.

When you pay this kind of money, you would think a newspaper in the morning would not be too much to ask, hell I get them at the cheapest places without asking, but not here, not only was I rudely recieved when I had to call the front desk (on my cell phone) for a paper but then had to request one each of the four days I stayed.

What bothered me specifically was that they stuck me at the farthest end of the hotel in the worst possible area, in a terrible room-after I specifically asked for a nice room and mentioned how much my wife and I had been looking forward to staying there.

I would strongly recommend that you stay at the Hampton, or the Sheraton, or Rafaels across the street. Don't stay here. This place sucked and made our vacation experience much less of what we had hoped for.

On a good note, we really enjoyed the Nelson Atkins-Museam of Art just up the street-wonderful place to visit-HIGHLY Recommended.

Oh, and by the way, if you go out on the streets, beware of the pan handlers, everywhere we went, there were people asking for handouts-not just once or twice but half a dozen time a night, and some were very aggressive, too bad, it's a shame, we used to really enjoy the area but until they do something about the thugs in the streets, we won't be going back, we did not feel safe out at night.

Stayed January 10-14th 2012

Room Tip: Stay away-period
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brad B
Dear Guest,

Obviously, we are disappointed to learn how unhappy you are about your stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the way you were treated at the front desk and for the issues you experienced in your room. Unfortunately, we don't have enough information to follow-up with our staff to ensure the appropriate associates receive the additonal training needed. We will share the information we have with them. If you would care to contact me to provide additional information and allow us to make amends, please feel comfortable in doing so at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Again, my apologies.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Larry at the front desk was the best. The executive level and room overlooking The Plaza was great. My biggest angst comes from the fact that the past two times I have been on the Plaza I've been accosted by aggressive homeless people. It is also well known (google Kansas City Plaza Gangs) that gang activity and shootings have taken place. This is really sad as The Plaza used to be the place to go. Perception is reality, and my perception is that I should not subject my family to this area, until the Police and City of Kansas City decide to get serious and keep these vermin away. My next trip will be on the much safer Johnson County side. If you do go to the Plaza I would not recommend walkin the area at night. Note; Low location rating is due to the aforementioned issues on the Plaza not the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Wayfarer58
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We're happy to learn about how much you enjoyed our hotel and our staff. We'll be sure to share you comment with Larry.

It was concerning to read your comment about feeling safe on the Country Club Plaza. I'm disappointed to learn you were solicited by pan handlers. We have not heard this feedback from guests before, but we did receive another Trip Advisor review on January 15 making mention of the same experience. We will contact the owners of the Plaza today to relay your feedback.

For many years, the Country Club Plaza has been one of the safest places anywhere in the Metropolitan area, including Johnson County. This is still the case today. The owners of the Plaza have their own security force and they keep a high profile daily. Additionally, the Kansas City Missouri Police Department is very visible on the Plaza. There was an isolated incident in August 2011 when a large group of un-supervised teens and pre-teens gathered on the Plaza and acted like hooligans. This was dealt with aggressively by the Police Department and the Mayors office. The Mayor enacted a curfew for anyone under 18 years old and there have been no similar incidents since last August.

Again, thanks for your positive feedback about the hotel and please know we will share your thought about the Plaza with the appropriate people today.