“Avenues Bistro, located in upscale Brookside neighborhood, Winter 2017 Menu is Fab”
Review of Avenues Bistro

Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wornall
Reviewed January 20, 2017

I live in the Brookside neighborhood and frequent Avenues Bistro, a cozy upscale Bistro. The menu changes with the season to stay in step with the availability of seasonal items. I have to give five stars to the new Winter 2017 menu. I usually order one of the following three stand outs:

1. Lobster Timbale a delicious down east (Maine) lobster salad made with lobster, mayo, celery and shrimp with a side of mixed greens, shrimp and avocado. I get this as an entree. It is a salad so it is served cold. If its cold outside and I want something served warm, I'll go with one of next two recommends:
2. Double Cut Pork Chop this is a man's meat and potatoes meal! 12 oz of thick cut Pork Chop marinated to perfection served with bacon braised brussel sprouts and mash potatoes. The pork chop is thick seared to perfection on the outside and juicy on the inside.
3. Weiiner Schnitzel Stack - pork cutlet with parsley lemon butter served with fried potatos and mushrooms. I;m not crazy about dill, so I ask that it is left off. This just might be my favorite item!

These are my favorite three items on the menu today. But the brussel sprout salad was really great (they took it off the menu for now). See you in the neighborhood at Avenues Bistro!

Reviewed January 5, 2017

Took a guest to lunch there this week. It was nearly empty and still it took 25 minutes from ordering two soup specials and lobster salad sliders until we received them. Couldn't see our waitress anywhere to ask if our order might have been overlooked or lost.
Chicken and Rice soup had bones in both our bowls. We placed them on the sides of our plates and called the waitress over to point them out to her. Her reply?
"I didn't make it!"
I explained that we realized she wasn't responsible, but because she was our waitress we thought we should notify her and she should convey this to the
chef. She did. She returned to us saying, "The chef said that's cartilage, not bones."
I explained that this is a choking hazard, whether bones or cartilage. (We two are older and are long time cooks. We know the difference between bones and cartilage.)
The attitude of defensiveness, the-customer-is-wrong, prevailed.
The chef did not come out to see what we had found in our soup, nor was anyone apologetic in the least. In addition, our server was completely absent from the restaurant. Couldn't find her to ask if our order was perhaps overlooked. Couldn't find her to refill empty water glass (I flagged down another server for that). And to top this off, she was training a new server! So I'm expecting future customers to experience this kind of poor, inattentive, defensive attitude at Avenues Bistro in the weeks and months to come. The food was only mediocre, at best.

Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

The food, service and ambience is good any time, but their Happy Hour is terrific. If you buy a drink ($2 off both wine and cocktails), you get a great selection of appetizers for $8. My favorites are the flatbread and the lobster, but they are all great treats. The atmosphere in the bar area, The Cove, is better because of the large windows, but the restaurant is also cozy and quiet. I love this place!

Reviewed January 3, 2017

We each had the five course dinner on New Year's Eve. Overall, our experience was very poor. The food was not worth what we paid for it and the service was poor with our waiter paying little attention to us. Courses were served before we had finished the previous courses. Champagne was supposed to come with dinner. The staff forgot to bring it and we had to ask for it. Of the five courses I had, only two were satisfactory. For my wife, only one was satisfactory. As far as the courses were concerned, here are a few of the “low-lights”: the Filet Caprese was thick and over-cooked; the Trout Tower consisted of two poor tasting pieces of fish partially stacked on each other, not at all what we expected; the Veal Scallopini was insipid and the risotto served with it was bland – my wife left most of it on the plate; the three layer chocolate mousse was tasteless and served in a cheap plastic cup; the tiramisu bore little resemblance to tiramisu we had eaten in the past and was as bad as the chocolate mousse. Neither of us finished our desserts. Definitely not worth our time or our money.

1  Thank Roy F
Reviewed December 24, 2016 via mobile

In acceptable servicewe never even got our foodI saw 4 people walk out the door and they all looked very disappointed with the service.and they just stuck us in the middle of a party of like 12.I would not suggest going there.