“Homestead Hotel Review”

Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Potomac, MD
“Homestead Hotel Review”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Some comments that this hotel is not clean are unfounded in my experience. As a frequent traveler, I found this hotel adequate for a clean, no frills, inexpensive, well located place to stay. I would stay here again. The staff was also friendly and helpful. There is a full kitchen in the room and washers and dryers in the common area for long-term travelers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 11 February 2012

The best thing this hotel has going for it is the location. It's proximity to the plaza and fantastic museums is wonderful, and made my stay OK. However, the place lacks in most other areas.

It is pretty dirty, and if you take the time to look around the place it shows serious wear. Definitely in need of maintenance. The internet is incredibly slow unless you pay (by the hour) for higher speed, which is frustrating since decent internet can be had almost anywhere else.

The beds are old w/ thin, hard mattresses.

Perhaps the most alarming thing during my stay was returning to my room to find dog poop in the hallway at 6pm...and returning at 3 AM after hitting the bars, only to find said poop still in hallway.

That's pretty telling.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Florida
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We had an enjoyable stay. Room was spacious and Clean. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This hotel is terrible. Check in is terrible, no front desk staff was there. A sign said be back in 5. As long as I waited did they mean minutes, or hours.
Finally got checked in. The layout is weird. Parked next to the entrance with the elevator figuring room would be close. It wasn't.
Got into my room. Typical extended stay with no amenities. Shower had ugh, long black hairs in the drain. Gross. There was a used towel on the shower rod. Another washcloth on the nightstand and an used condom wrapper on the floor.
Called down and the phone tang. No customer service.
Finally got another room. Smelled like old food, but was clean.
I didn't spend much time in the room but limited TV channels and okay bed.
I left without stopping by the front desk. A $50 charge from the hotel the next week made be call them. I was charged a heavy duty cleaning fee. No explanations. For $100+ a night, there are way better options.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank itsmyitchyfeet
Wamego, Ks
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We stayed here mainly due to an early flight, and they offered shuttle as well as very reasonable park and fly. I was very encouraged by the outside appearances, and the front desk help especially because my husband booked the hotel and I didn't get to check it out on here first. The room was clean and suited us just fine, the fitness center were just right for a walker like myself. The only cons that I noticed was the bed was rock hard, and they were out of shampoo in the shower. The pool was down for repairs which wasn't too much of a bother, but it was over July 4th weekend, so poor timeing I suppose. The best part would be the suttle drivers were both very courtious, and plesant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
dallas area
Reviewed 7 March 2011

After reading the reviews, I must say that I was apprehensive about staying here. But at the rate and location, with the Big 12 tournament in full swing, I couldn't pass it up. The hotel is nice from the outside and as someone else mentioned, plenty of parking by the side door. There are labels indicating security cameras are present so tha must be new. No adverse smell that I noted except on one occasion by the elevators it smell of cigarette smoke. My room smelled great. It looks recently updated with Pergo type floors in the bathroom and near the kitchen sink. Clean room; only one housekeeping snafu noted: a previous guest had hung a used washcloth over the shower curtain rod and it was left there. Coffee maker in room uses Mr. Coffee type filters. I sent an email in advance of the trip asking what kinds of filters (I hate having a coffee maker in the rooms if they don't furnish filters and you have to go to the store to buy them). I got a response and brought my own. Good size fridge and minimal dishes (two of everything) Upon request, they supply the following: shampoo, hair cryers, facial tissue and dish soap. I think facial tissue should alredy be in the room. Lots of bathroom counter space. I can hear the person walking overhead. They sound large but apparently turned in early.

The young woman who checked me in was helpful and nice. She called my room about 10 minutes after I checked in to make sure everything was OK. When I asked for the location of the nearest grocery store, she had a list of nearby stores ready to hand me. You get basic internet for $4.95 per stay (not night, the whole stay). If you want faster internet, you can pay more.

I sprung the $3 a day to have my bed made, towels changed, and trash emptied. It is worth it to me and nice to have the option. No ice machine on the property, you have a couple of trays that you can fill.

I would definitely stay here again. Of course, my trip's not finished yet. If things change, I will post an update.

There's no continental breakfast included or those types of bells and whistles. But then I would rather pay for only what I will use.

There is a full sized ironing board and an iron in the room. TV isn't fancy, but you do get showtime and espn.

The chair with ottomon was super comfortable to sit in while working on my laptop. Plenty of plugs. Good climate control systems. Adequate lighting. As of tonight, it is quiet. And I was concerned about that as my room is located on the first floor.

Bed is kind of hard. Two pillows but I would imagine that you could get more. I brought my own :-)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank texanbear
Roeland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 7 October 2010

On the way to the room I first noticed the bad smell that was all over the hotel. Once in the room I realized that someone had tried to break in at one point because the lock was on the verge of falling off. You would think something that important would be fixed. The most disturbing for me was that our bed was covered in hair! I've backpacked through India hostels for $7 a day and slept in cleaner beds/hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple