“Cool, but don't expect breakfast!”

Fairfield Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Our rooms were fine. Front desk help nice and personable. First time staying here. There was a cheerleading or dance competition going on while we were there. We chose this hotel because of its close proximity to the Country Club Plaza and my mother-in-laws house. Breakfast was unbelievable. I mean no matter what time we went down there was always a limited selection and the worker seemed to make no effort to replenish anything. She was just plain SLOW! We stayed from Saturday thru to Tuesday, same thing EVERY morning. It became a joke of sort with our family. I am milking the coffee carafe to get a cup...........smh. Maybe they start off every morning with a limited supply and when it was gone it was just GONE! Pitiful! Rating service average because the breakfast worker and the fact that when we asked for extra face towels and was brought 2 towels with gaping holes!!! OMGoodness....

Room Tip: Our rooms were fine (440 & 441) not sure of a tip to give for rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Vanessa1989

Reviewed 7 April 2012

We are in Kansas City often for business, and have stayed in many of the hotels in the downtown area. None are noticeably much better than the Fairfield Inn, and when you factor in free parking, Internet, and breakfast, along with indoor pool and comfortable rooms, it can't be beat. It is just a few blocks south of Union Station, right on the Max Bus line, which gives you easy access from downtown to Country Club Plaza and the Art Museum. Staff was very helpful, and had cookies at the counter for check in. Feels like home.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 9 February 2012

A very interesting non-cookie cutter Fairfield in the midst of a busy neighbohood in KC. Plenty of fenced parking on site. The place is in need of a renovation, but atyplically, it really is in very good condition. Management, Engineering and Housekeeping have managed to stay ahead of the usual visible signs of an aging property - like repairing ding marks on walls, keeping elevators CLEAN and without smells and making sure room heaters aren't noisy and showers work properly.

Location is great, Gates Bar B Q is two blocks down.

It's good to see a Front Desk staff with personality too. Nadvish checked me in and immediately took charge of my dining selection for the evening. Let her order for you as well. (Jimmy Johns insread of McD's or Wendys). Gates Bar b q is 2 blocks down also.

It's a great place to spend a night or two -- I'd stay here again without question. Oh one more thing -- the rooms have REAL WINDOWS that slide up and down allowing REAL air in!!! A huge plus..,

Room Tip: It appears the line of rooms ending 20-30 are quietest and face the Residence Inn instead of Main St...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Probably2Picky
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Surly check in staff started me off on the wrong foot at this my first (and last) time here. Room was bare bones, with window heater that had trouble finding a setting that wasn't too hot or too cold. Minimal toiletries; room cleaning between nights was disappointing. It was however only $89 per night, which is very low for KC. It is on Main and my room looked out into a shabby neighborhood of houses. Both Friday and Saturday nights the hotel was crowded and very noisy, with drama in the hallways late into the night. Breakfast was adequate, but staff was dressed in sweats and it took me a minute to realize they worked there. I would stay further up Main next time I was in this area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building or you will need a coat to go to the lobby.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank breakfasttea
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed here for two nights to see a sporting event at the football stadium. The staff was very friendly upon check in. I was the last to arrive on a night when the place was sold out. They had caught people smoking in the room next to ours and immediately apologized and wanted to offer us another room, but could not because it was sold out. I understood and did not smell a hint of smoke in the room.

The breakfast was large and hot and fantastic for a mid range hotel!

The location is great, close to all of the major parts of the city you will want to explore (as long as you have a car).

The only problem is that the walls are paper thin and the smokers next to me were up quite late talking and partying. Honestly, they were not even that loud, the walls were just thin so people talking at a normal level you could hear.

I would go back if my travels take me back to KC.

Room Tip: I recommend a room on a higher floor to keep street noise out
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Stayed three nights on business. My experience was wonderful from the beginning to end. The location is perfect on Main Street -- equidistant from downtown proper to the north and The Plaza area to the south. There are a generous number of very nice restaurants in The Plaza.

I was treated with the utmost courtesy by helpful staff members from front desk to manager to maintenance. The king bed is very comfy, and I loved having a microwave and fridge. (Every room at this property has them now!) The entire property including grounds, common areas, my room and bath are just neat as a pin.

There have clearly been welcome improvements beyond the fridge and microwave. Internet access is usable, and the 42" LCD television is quite nice. The HVAC unit is among the quietest I've encountered, plus it cycles properly rather than having the fan run all of the time.

The next time business brings me to Kansas City, I'll certainly be staying here again!

Room Tip: Had no problems with noise in room 431. It was very relaxing.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Vejete_1
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Our second time staying here when seeing a concert at Midland Theater. One of our favorites. Very nice accommodations, especially for handicap accessible folks, staff is very friendly and helpful, free breakfast is good. Great location near the Power and Light district. We will always choose Fairfield Inn Downtown when in Kansas City.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends