“Had Fun”
Review of Gordon's Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tehkummah
Gordon's Park
Reviewed 26 July 2017

Great place with a few little hikes, teepee was a fantastic experience, bathrooms are nice, and cooking facilities a huge plus. The nature center was cute and my little guy liked it. I really think the park could do without charging an additional fee for the pool when you're paying over $100 a night. That's really my only complaint though. I would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

This is the perfect place
The bathrooms are nicer than mine at home. With the tile work and stainless steal. staff is great. They have a little store there that has everything that you would need and the camp sites have enough trees around each site that you can't hear your neighbours. And the best thing is it is right in the city. I could not believe this gem is hidden in the city
Would go back there no matter what. It was only $22. Was a lot better than any hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2017

I only had one night to stay on the island so I followed the recommendation of the very nice woman at the info center at the entrance on Route 6. Maybe if I were interested in the stargazing or had kids interested in the nature area it would have been OK, but for a single person wanting a nice night of island experience, this is not the place. I did hike the park road back to the stargazing area and it was an OK hike, but I found better hikes a short drive away. I paid $130+ for a basement room in the house at the entrance to the park. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean, but everything was rather spartan. Around 9:30 there was a huge commotion outside my basement bedroom window of a man and a woman having a loud conversation and doing something else that made a huge racket for 10 or 15 minutes. Luckily the folks who live in the house are not early risers so I was up before them, but if I had wanted to sleep in that would not have been an option as once they were up, I could every footstep and most of their conversation. The so-called breakfast was a stale english muffin or a packet of cheap instant oatmeal with a cheap tub of margarine and packets of peanut butter and jelly. There was a small fruit cup of canned peaches and a small juice box in the fridge as well. Luckily I had my own decent bread and real peanut butter. I found a nice private log cabin with a fireplace on a lake with a beach for only $120 while I was exploring the island after I checked in. There was a small swimming pool at Gordon's Park, but it was expensive and limited to two hours. Two young women were working in the office when I checked in. They were not particularly helpful or warm and welcoming. I did meet a man later in the day who was taking the trash out and he seemed friendly, but did not introduce himself. He may have been the owner, but I'm not sure. This was my first visit to the island. When I go back I will definitely be staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank PhyllisR645
Reviewed 19 March 2017

We stayed there for two nights August of 2016. We were in the dark sky preserve in the cabin that was outside of the actual viewing area. We simply walked to the large viewing area to get the full effect. Very nice views. No astronomer when we were there, but that was fine. Hardly anyone was in the dark sky area then so it was very quiet and peaceful.

In addition to the beds, the cabin included its own BBQ, outhouse , several large jugs of water, a propane stove, and propane lights. It had no running water but had a sink so we could use the water they supplied and heat it on the stove so we could clean our dishes. Adding a propane fridge would have been a nice touch as well. There were lots of ants in the cabin, unfortunately, so we ensured that we kept everything locked away. This is common in the country and I do not think they could do anything about it.

We did find it to be a bit confusing figuring out how to get to our cabin, especially at first, but after a while we figured it out.

Not an issue with the park itself but a testament to its remote location: we were having some issues with our cooler at the time and so we had to make a run for supplies and ice. I would suggest that people ensure that they are well stocked up on their supplies for the trip because the nearest town was not exactly close and the local stores we attempted to go to were basically empty or had no food.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Tera C
Reviewed 13 December 2016

Just came back from a deer hunt at the park. Quality of hunting was very poor. Hunted 3 and a half days and saw no deer!!!! Not even many tracks, a few at the bait sites but not many. Website was very misleading, all of the recent trail cam pics were at night. Should have been made aware of the current hunting conditons. Accomadations were okay but overpriced. Paid alot for a hot plate, bar fridge and shared kitchen/bathroom. Would not recomend to book a hunting trip.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian W
Rita G, Owner at Gordon's Park, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2016

Brian, we are disappointed that you are unhappy with your hunting experience, we try very hard to help our hunters have a successful hunt and it is unfortunate that you were not successful. Most of the hunters that stay at our property are out in their stands all day, and are making serious efforts to fill their tags. The deer come out in the wee hours of the morning and the later hours as night falls so in order to be successful the stands need to be occupied at that time. I understand that you opted to eat out on several occasions that brought you out of the tree stands earlier than most since the restaurants around here close around 7 pm. I do think that also had an effect on your overall outcome of your hunt. We did offer additional options of various tree stands on the property where we saw lots of action in order to try to satisfy your requests to move about, and short of chasing the deer out during the day to your stands we did everything we could to make it a successful hunt for you and your dad. There were lots and lots and lots of pictures of deer in our trail cams taken while you were here and we showed them to you. Like all things in nature, the deer may or may not appear and the sport is much like fishing, sometimes you get them sometimes you don't. Wishing you all the best, take care and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Reviewed 9 November 2016

We get it.
The point is the darkness so you can, on a clear night, get a truly awesome view of the night sky.
So no electricity.
And an isolated location.
The picture on the website suggests a cozy country setting.
The reality was quite different and even creepy.

$175. +tax per night for a neglected, dingy, stuffy, run-down, one-room shack with torn plastic covers over tired mattresses and 4 sleeping bags in the corner.
outhouse toilet nearby.
and three dirty plastic chairs (one broken) scattered around some distance away!
Really?

And there is a 2-night minimum that we paid in advance, knowing we would only be able to stay one night.

So $350. for one night in this miserable accommodation.
Really!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
6  Thank ritajeff
Rita G, Owner at Gordon's Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2016

RitaJeff, in response to your review we agree the stargazing is amazing from this location and yes there is no electricity (runs on propane) and it is in an isolated location in the fields and meadows of our RASC (Royal Astronomical Society Canada) designated dark sky preserve. Of course it is isolated, that is what allows for the darkness and the beauty of the night sky. One does not go to a dark sky location to see electricity and when the reservation was made all the information on the cabin was explained to the person who made the reservation. The plastic covers on the beds (thank you for letting us know they need to be replaced) are protection from bed bugs, something our guests appreciate very much as they do the isolation and the opportunity to be able to view the Milky Way just steps outside the front door. Staying in an isolated cabin brings about challenges with regards to washrooms and conveniences so we make sure to fully inform our guests of the amenities, the location and what is all included. Thank you!

Reviewed 27 September 2016

Gordon's Park is a marvellous place to camp. Rita and Terry are wonderful hosts. The entire place is eco-friendly and has everything you expect from a great, family-style campground. Water-saving showers and toilets, beautiful views, great hiking and biking trails, and lots for the kids to do: mini-golf ($), a heated swimming pool ($), horseshoes, a bench swing overlooking the forest and a nature centre. In the evenings, they pull out the telescope for spectacular views of the night sky.

There is a summer kitchen with a barbecue and gas stovetop, utensils, pots and pans, lots of counterspace and a dishwashing station. Absolutely terrific.

Campsites are spacious and well-maintained, trails well marked with soft solar lighting at night. Hammock-friendly. We were there in August and there were no bugs at all!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tehkummah
35 km away
47.6 km away
Lake Wolsey Cabins
Lake Wolsey Cabins
#2 of 3 in Gore Bay

Been to Gordon's Park? Share your experiences!