Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Osage Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great service”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

If you're looking for a review of the overall resort and activities, this may not be the review for you. :) I stayed here on business during the first week of March during their off-season, so I didn't get to see much more of the resort besides the building I was in.

I was fully prepared to absolutely hate this place based on some of the other reviews, but I didn't. I've never been to Missouri so I was interested to see what it was like. I'm not sure where this place rates in terms of local value, but it was easy to overlook the downsides and enjoy my stay. I'll go ahead and state the obvious: It needs updating. Badly. Even small changes, like flat screen tvs or new carpet would be a start.

That being said, here's what my stay was like:

The staff: Excellent. Very professional, responsive and friendly. I had a package delivered to the resort and it was waiting for me when I checked in. I didn't need it right away so they said it could be delivered to a conference room the next day and to call when I needed it. I did just that and they brought in less than 10 minutes. I was even connected directly to the person who would be delivering it.

Also at check-in, they provided a weekly schedule of events and activities, including the restaurant hours. Since it is the off-season, it seems like they tailored the schedule to fit the needs of the guests for that week. In this case, there were several conferences going on, including a large student group so it was nice to know that things were open.

Food: The food in the Black Bear Lodge was good and had a nice view of the lake. I didn't get a chance to visit the bar in the evening or the other eateries on site due to my work schedule.

The room: The room and bathroom were spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable and my room had a view of the water which was beautiful. The bathroom as well as the room furniture and tv were all dated. The nightstand lamps and chairs appear to be a little more modern. Baby steps I suppose.

The bug guide (mentioned in another review.) It seems laughable at first, but it actually makes sense given the location. You may encounter spiders and other critters during the summer months (not necessarily in your room - I saw NONE), so the guide may be useful.

Parking - Free and right below my building. Very convenient.

So, should you stay here? If modern decor is VERY important to you then the answer is no. It will bother you. It would bother me if I were staying for vacation.

If you have to stay here on business and really aren't paying the in-season rates, then you should be fine. The conference facilities are more than adequate and the staff is on top of every room change and other aspect of your conference.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building A. There's parking on the lower level and that's where the front...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We have stayed at this resort many times and our kids have loved coming for a family get away and my husband and I have also enjoyed romantic get aways as well there. So much to do here. The staff are always so courteous and helpful. This destination is truly a resort and a vacation in its self.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Tantara_Resort2012, Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your comments. We hope you will visit us during your future stays at Lake of the Ozarks and look forward to seeing you again.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We really enjoyed our weekend at Tan-Tar-A. It was during the winter months so there weren't quite as many things to do, but it was a great getaway for a couple. We used the gym, pool, restaurants, and convention facilities. The Bear Restaurant was above average and the prices were reasonable for a vacation location. The gym was clean and had a nice view of the lake. Above all, the service was outstanding. All of the staff from the front desk to the personnel working in the stores were willing to do whatever it took to make our stay positive. Our room was nice, clean and the beds were average. We would definitely stay at Tan-Tar-A again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bismarck, Missouri
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Having stayed at this resort multiple times, I cringe every time I hear that I must attend a conference here.

The entire resort is built to hug the hills and coastline of Lake of the Ozarks. This means that almost every place involves an uphill climb. Parking is also nearly impossible without a hundred yard hike back and forth between rooms.

Once we arrived, I found out that my room was in a separate building, so we followed the resort map and entered the building door marked with our room series. Wrong Door. We kept following the signs through most of the building, always taunting us and implying that our room was just around the corner. Once we reached the other end of the building, the signs pointed UP. Really? Even in the buildings?

Now this resort has been around for several decades, but they've obviously never heard of installing elevators in buildings that have more than four floors. As a diabetic, by the time I hauled all of my luggage up six flights of stairs to my room, I felt pretty weak and hollow.

The room was typical hotel fair, even though the going rate is almost $300 per night. But close inspection revealed an aging resort, with patched up mistakes instead of new replacements. The tub, for instance looked dirty and stained, but was merely pained over where the porcelain had chipped away.

While old, however, the room seemed clean enough, but I kept thinking of the price they asked for a one night stay... definitely not luxury level.

What was really strange, however, was that everything shut down around 8 pm. In a resort? No pizza, no bar.... nothing. Everything was closed. We jumped in our car and went looking for a bite to eat, but could find absolutely nothing except a gas station that sold old pizza.

This is a dying resort in a dead town. But if you like rock climbing, backpacking, and mountain hiking... Tan-Tar-A should give you an adequate workout. Just don't forget to pack a few energy bars.

Room Tip: Just don't go there. Pack light if you do and be prepared to hike and climb to your room. Don...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank etherius

Travellers are raving about these Osage Beach hotels

Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed 5 February 2012

This has been a good resort over the past 30 years. It is need of some serious renovation. Rooms are starting to look old. Need to have more family friendly places to eat.

• Stayed January 2012
Missouri
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I concur with many of the reviews on this site. The resort, while nestled in a beautiful area (A+ for the surroundings), is outdated in both the rooms and the main resort building. My room had some minor cosmetic issues (wallpaper peeling, a chandelier light fixture that looks like it was purchased in 1980), but my room was clean and the bed was comfy. Old style tube TV, plus in-room fridge, mini coffeemaker, pullout couch, table, chairs, and bed was in the room.

There are many hills and stairways that will give you a bit of a workout as you are on the grounds.

There is a Sbarro pizza place, Burger King, and a couple of restaurants on site. Pricing is typical of resort pricing, a tad higher than usual, but I enjoyed my breakfast at the Black Bear Restaurant.

Service is pretty good, polite, helpful, nice.

I was here for a conference, so the location was great for that. I have stayed off site before - I could recommend the Holiday Inn Express if you decide to stay off site - but the convenience of staying at the resort is well worth it.

It's a decent place that is clean and comfy, but desperately needing upgrading.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank ROBnMO
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My mother and I went to the lake for the weekend to shop at the outlet malls. We have stayed at Tan-Tar-A almost annually for the past 7 years. Tan-Tar-A has always taken care of us whether we stay for the weekend or the week. The price was more than right - we stayed Saturday night for $134 (including tax) AND it included two breakfast tickets to the delicious breakfast buffet. We arrived a little early on Saturday and the room they put us in was on the first floor and looked at a wall. We called the front desk and they were able to move us to the 6th floor with a better view. After shopping all day we were tired so we ordered pizza at the Sabbaro's located in another building for dinner. We opted to walk to pick it up and ate in our room. It was the perfect weekend. We are actually planning to go back next month.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
9.1 km away
Camden on the Lake Resort
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 13 in Lake Ozark

Been to Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!