“Rustic, like an older lake home”

Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Osage Beach
Overland Park, Kansas
“Rustic, like an older lake home”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I hadn't been to Tan Tar A for a number of years. This resort used to the be one of the best in Missouri featuring luxurious rooms and tons of amenities. It is showing its age, but if you go into it knowing it's not a 5 star resort you'll enjoy it. They would probably have to implode this resort and start over to really get it up to today's high end resort standards. I had a room in the main building. It was on the top floor and had a spectacular view. It was a very nice sized room with two double beds, a small round table, sofa and coffee table and would work well for a family of 4. The room had a separate sink area outside the bath. The TV was an older version but worked fine and had a lot of channel options. The room was fine if you aren't really picky about things. The wrought iron balcony needed paint. The carpeting was a little stained in the corners, but overall the room was clean, well lit and comfortable.

Tan Tar A still has a lot of charm and the "older feel" seems to be a fit with the lake. In the Summer you could probably wear your swimsuit or shorts and a t-shirt just about anywhere. They still have tons to do at this resort....a nice arcade, minature golf, bowling alley, large water park, nice fitness center that adjoins an indoor pool and hot-tub, shops, a few restaurants to choose from including a Burger King in the main building, tennis and golf. You also have a number of things you can do at their marina to enjoy the lake. I've played the 9 hole course and it is a really nice "executive" course. It appears to be in very good shape. Their main course "The Oaks" looked like it had not recovered from the winter yet.

While the fitness center, indoor pool and hot tub are included with the cost of the room, it appears just about everything else is extra. I would check to see if you can include some of the activities as a package with your room, otherwise you are going to spend some serious money if you use all the amenities. The waterpark is $22.00 per person. The miniature golf is $8.00 per person.

For a weekend or perhaps 4 day trip, this could be a fun family place. Just don't expect a Hyatt or Hilton lobby or room, be ready to pay extra for things to do throughout the day and you'll enjoy it!

Room Tip: You're going to the lake...ask for a lake view! The rooms in Building A are nice and I believe...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DCKC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Kansas City, MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We visited Tan-Tar-A over spring break and chose to stay there mainly because that is where the indoor water park was located. First of all, keep in mind that there's not a lot else to do other than shop during the 'off-season'. Outdoor pools weren't open yet, and it was too chilly to be on the lake. Our 2 kids really enjoyed the place. We went down on a Thursday and had the whole resort to ourselves for the first day. They were impressed with the arcade and of course the Burger King onsite. We weren't overly impressed with the water park though. Felt like they could offer a special water park package. We paid $17 apiece for three of us to go while my wife went shopping. Your pass is good for one day only. After a couple of hours, my 8 year old was asking if we could go back to the indoor pool at the resort (which I thought WAS pretty decent!). Water park would have been worth maybe $10 apiece, but definitely not $17. And would have been nice if a package were offered or if for $17 you could visit over multiple days and spend an hour or two at a time. Overall, the resort is definitely dated and expansive to walk to everything, but the kids had fun roaming all around and it does offer a lot of activities in one location without having to hop in the car and drive all over. Rooms weren't extravagant, but about what I expected. Internet hookup (not wireless) was free, which was nice.

Room Tip: We stayed in building E. Quite a walk to arcade, pool, water park. Parking underneath was nice the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank shayes0209
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

The other reviews that refer to rude staff , dirty rooms are totally WRONG!
Tan Tara A is right on the lake with breathe taking views ! Very comfortable beds with nice comforters and bathrooms with two vanity , nice couch and mini fridge ! The pool is very large and the hottub is superb! The young lady at the front desk (Stephaney) was great with a speedy check in ! We stayed in building A and it was as nice if not nicer then all the all the complexes ! There are TONS of fun activities for the whole family very cool bowling alley and awesome arcade! The food court and market lane is a neat touch ! STAY HERE ! WE WILL BE BACK !

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Boycea
Tantara_Resort2012, Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We value all of our guests and hope to provide service so memorable.
clark, mo usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

The age of this hotel is showing. Hallways smelled musty like they'd been under water. Outside needs painted, inside needs painted and new carpet installed. Could see cracks in the stucco and rust on the patio railings. Great breakfast buffet in the Bears Lodge Restaurant and a great server....however our dinner the evening prior gave me heartburn and kept me up all night! Burger tasted good but server was less than adequate. Whole place could use some thorough cleaning, especially the bear in the restaurant. He had layers of dust and cobwebs everywhere. Not very appetizing. I was there for a convention and the food served at lunch each day was really good! If I was traveling to the area again I would find another place to stay.

Room Tip: Lakeside view was nice in the morning but not sure the patio was safe....rust around railing and stu...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LilMissPeggy
Thank you for choosing Tan-Tar-A Resort and we truly apologize for not meeting your expectations. We are always striving to meet our guests needs and appreciate you for letting us know when and where we have challenges. Your comments have been noted and will be used to make improvements. We hope you give us another opportunity in the future to provide quality service and amenities.

Travellers are raving about these Osage Beach hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

If you're looking for a review of the overall resort and activities, this may not be the review for you. :) I stayed here on business during the first week of March during their off-season, so I didn't get to see much more of the resort besides the building I was in.

I was fully prepared to absolutely hate this place based on some of the other reviews, but I didn't. I've never been to Missouri so I was interested to see what it was like. I'm not sure where this place rates in terms of local value, but it was easy to overlook the downsides and enjoy my stay. I'll go ahead and state the obvious: It needs updating. Badly. Even small changes, like flat screen tvs or new carpet would be a start.

That being said, here's what my stay was like:

The staff: Excellent. Very professional, responsive and friendly. I had a package delivered to the resort and it was waiting for me when I checked in. I didn't need it right away so they said it could be delivered to a conference room the next day and to call when I needed it. I did just that and they brought in less than 10 minutes. I was even connected directly to the person who would be delivering it.

Also at check-in, they provided a weekly schedule of events and activities, including the restaurant hours. Since it is the off-season, it seems like they tailored the schedule to fit the needs of the guests for that week. In this case, there were several conferences going on, including a large student group so it was nice to know that things were open.

Food: The food in the Black Bear Lodge was good and had a nice view of the lake. I didn't get a chance to visit the bar in the evening or the other eateries on site due to my work schedule.

The room: The room and bathroom were spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable and my room had a view of the water which was beautiful. The bathroom as well as the room furniture and tv were all dated. The nightstand lamps and chairs appear to be a little more modern. Baby steps I suppose.

The bug guide (mentioned in another review.) It seems laughable at first, but it actually makes sense given the location. You may encounter spiders and other critters during the summer months (not necessarily in your room - I saw NONE), so the guide may be useful.

Parking - Free and right below my building. Very convenient.

So, should you stay here? If modern decor is VERY important to you then the answer is no. It will bother you. It would bother me if I were staying for vacation.

If you have to stay here on business and really aren't paying the in-season rates, then you should be fine. The conference facilities are more than adequate and the staff is on top of every room change and other aspect of your conference.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building A. There's parking on the lower level and that's where the front...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We have stayed at this resort many times and our kids have loved coming for a family get away and my husband and I have also enjoyed romantic get aways as well there. So much to do here. The staff are always so courteous and helpful. This destination is truly a resort and a vacation in its self.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Tantara_Resort2012, Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your comments. We hope you will visit us during your future stays at Lake of the Ozarks and look forward to seeing you again.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We really enjoyed our weekend at Tan-Tar-A. It was during the winter months so there weren't quite as many things to do, but it was a great getaway for a couple. We used the gym, pool, restaurants, and convention facilities. The Bear Restaurant was above average and the prices were reasonable for a vacation location. The gym was clean and had a nice view of the lake. Above all, the service was outstanding. All of the staff from the front desk to the personnel working in the stores were willing to do whatever it took to make our stay positive. Our room was nice, clean and the beds were average. We would definitely stay at Tan-Tar-A again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9.1 km away
Camden on the Lake Resort
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 13 in Lake Ozark

Been to Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!