“Good BBQ”

Sugarfire Smoke House
Ranked #33 of 3,077 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Description: Voted BEST BBQ in St. Louis 2015 Voted BEST BBQ in St. Louis 2014 Voted BEST NEW RESTAURANT 2013 Voted BEST BURGER 2013 Top 5 in the 100 Best Restaurants in St. Louis 2015 1st Place Memphis in May World Championships (seafood) 3rd Place Memphis in May World Championship (chicken) 8th Place Memphis in May World Championship (exotic). Come try some of St. Louis' best barbecue!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Enjoyed the food. They have 9 bottles of different BBQ sauce on the table. We had a sampler plate and my favorite was the brisket. When they run out of an item, they are out, so get there early. Also check their Facebook page to see which sides they are offering. We were disappointed because we missed their mac and cheese.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Since St louis is well known for smokehouses, we visited this place. The place is crowded, very fast however the attendants were rough and expensive. The ribs wre tasty.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The first thing I noticed about this place was the smoke scent from the building, which downtown was more so. Most places there would be reheating something cooked at their cook house. Second impressive thing was the available until gone. True BBQ is a slow process that often doesn't work for lunch hours or sleeping if you want to ensure the product gets done under a slow heat process. The secret many places don't want you to know is that if they have a limitless supply, it was likely done yesterday and reheated. I don't think that is so with this place.

We were in town for a wedding and missing the Memphis BBQ fest. This place filled the gap. We had the brisket and pulled pork. I tried the sauce just for good measure. But unless it is dry from reheating or being cooked to fast, I think the meat needs no co-star. This did not. They also had the white BBQ sauce that lends itself very well to chicken.

As a Memphis BBQ snob that thinks some of our best known places are overrated, I can say this place can stand toe to toe with the best back home. The crazy corn was good and a new dish to me. It might be all over the Midwest for all I know, but I'm likely to integrate it into our tailgate.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I make sure I stop in to sugar fire every time I’m in town. I have yet to be dissatisfied during any of my visits. And I’m still waiting to find something on the menu that I don’t like. Would highly recommend you stopping by any of their locations.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I visited this place after a Cardinals game. The lines were out the door. When we were finally served we received cold and stale fries, cold cheesy potatoes, near-frozen Brisket, and cold and old pulled pork. It was so disgusting we sent it back and got a refund. How the food is cold and old when the lines are so long is beyond me. To add insult to injury, they also initially overcharged us for food we didn't order and almost slipped it by us by not giving us the itemized receipt.

This was really disappointing. I've been to this location once before and the food was hot, fresh, and amazing. I was visiting from Texas so I know BBQ. I had been telling the people in my travel party that this was among the best BBQ places I've ever tried. What we all experienced was one of the worst food experiences I've ever had anywhere.

I have to conclude that this place is really hit or miss. You'll either get great food or absolutely terrible and cold food that demonstrates that this place does not care about the quality of food they serve their customers. Any big-time BBQ place would be embarrassed to serve the kind of food we were given. Hopefully management can clean this up and return it to what this place was and can be.