“Great service and amazing view!”

Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch
Ranked #16 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed here for our 20th anniversary. We paid extra for the "arch-view" room, and it was definitely worth it! large windows with _amazing_ view. When I mentioned that it was our 20th at check in (in passing- not looking for special treatment), they sent up a bottle of champagne!

The only thing that I will say is that I was apparently very allergic to their soap, or (hesitate to guess) we had bedbugs. After the first night my back was covered with extrememly itchy bites or hives. I never saw any bugs, but something "bugged" me in that room!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
mangle-tyler, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2011

Dear dregnichols,

I'm so happy to hear you had a wonderful anniversary with us. It's great to hear you enjoyed our service and your view from your room. However, I do want to follow-up with regarding the hives that you stated you got. We have not had any issues with bed bugs, but we do investigate all claims. If you could please contact me at Mark.Angle-Tyler@hyatt.com. Just so I can get a little bit more information from you.

Hotel Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,119)

Reviewed 3 June 2011

I wanted to like this hotel. It was busy and seemed to have amenities. We entered the Hilton intending to eat at the restaurant there, but it was empty in the lobby and restaurant. a marked difference from the Hyatt. we had good service from the front desk, although they seemed to not order enough USAToday, apparently more people wanted those than the Wall street Journal. The restaurants here were busy, we got breakfast in a package deal, it was a good hot buffet. My problem had to do with all the hair that was on the bed. my husband cleaned it off and yet the next day there was more. One thing was that there was more than one kind of hair. Also there was a wad of hair in the drain in the shower. You have to pay for parking, but it is not very obvious how you can self park. and the internet is not free except sitting in the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cynful2no
mangle-tyler, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2011

Dear cyntul2no,

I do want to apologize that you experienced hair issues in your room. However I am happy to hear you enjoyed the Red Breakfast buffet. If you do have time, I would like to just get a little more information from you regarding your issue, if you could please contact me at Mark.Angle-Tyler@hyatt.com. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 3 June 2011

Great views of the arch and central location. I’d rate it higher except there was no parking at the hotel (it was full) and we had to park three blocks away. I would have thought that the hotel would have given some discount or something for guests they had to inconvenience… but that was not to be. Anyway, the hotel was very clean with a great location across the street from the arch. As a side note, there is no swimming pool for the kids and internet access is a minimum of $9.95 a day.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
mangle-tyler, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2011

Dear mms30,

I apologize that our parking lot was full. However we do recommend the Economic Parking lot right next store, which is $3 dollars on the weekends. I am happy to hear you enjoyed fantasic views from the hotel and the location. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 June 2011

No pool...Pay for parking. Pay for internet.$3.00+bottle of water. Light out in our room.NO WHERE NEAR A FOUR STAR.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Dear TNtravler615,

I do want to apologize for the light out in your room. I'm sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations. I do want to state that we do have free Internet in the Lobby of our hotel. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch

Dates of Stay: Saturday, 5/28/11 - Monday, 5/30/11 (Memorial Day 2011)
Total Nights: 2

In a nutshell, this is a truly beautiful Hyatt with stellar service and breathtaking views of the Gateway Arch -- if you are traveling to St. Louis, you absolutely MUST stay here!

Now, for my detailed review:

My wife and I wanted to go someplace different for Memorial Day, and as I had never been to St. Louis and had always wanted to see the Gateway Arch, it seemed like the perfect place to go! And, since the primary purpose of my trip was the Gateway Arch, the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch seemed like the perfect location to try -- and, we were definitely NOT disappointed!

First off, let me just say that although all of the rooms at this property are amazing -- my in-laws were in a standard room, and it was wonderful -- if you stay at this property, you absolutely must splurge a little bit and spring for what is known as the "Arch View Deluxe King." This is, for all intensive purposes, a Suite -- the only difference from what most would define as a Suite is that it is all one room, no separate parlor/bedroom. However, at 765 square feet, they are the same size as most other Suites at this property, and they offer truly breathtaking views that should NOT be missed! These rooms are situated on the corners of the property, and offer two almost full walls of giant windows that reveal the most iconic landmark in St. Louis, the Gateway Arch. If you take one look at the room photo for this room category, I can assure you, that photo is 100% accurate as to how amazing the room looks and as to how beautiful the view is! I know many people always complain that hotel web site photos do not show what a true room actually looks like, but this is most definitely not the case with this property -- all of the photos that I saw on this property's website in advance of booking were truly confirmed upon arrival. This is one AMAZING property!

As for the "Arch View Deluxe King" that we stayed in, it vastly exceeded my expectations. We were assigned Room 1297, at the extreme end of the hotel in a beautiful corner. Although some have complained in reviews about the distance these rooms are located from the elevators, I found that to not be an issue -- in fact, I found it to be a plus. Our room was totally quite at all hours -- we never noticed any noise from the hallway or surrounding rooms as some have discussed. The property is very strict on it's "Quiet Hours" -- as it should be -- and we had no issue with noise, despite there being multiple weddings each night we were there.

As soon as you walk into the "Arch View Deluxe King" room, you will be awestruck by the views -- the corner of the room features extremely large windows offering two different views of the Gateway Arch ... try requesting high floors for even better views! But, the view aside, as soon as you enter, you are greeted by a truly wonderful and well appointed room. To your left is a quite sitting area with a small round table and two extremely comfortable chairs. Then, directly in front of you is a truly comfortable "Hyatt Grand Bed" -- one of the better that I have slept on, in fact. And, the bed has a very large plush headboard that makes sitting up in bed watching television or admiring the views most relaxing. Directly ahead of the bed is a fair size work desk, with a hub for wired internet access -- although WiFi is also available and seemed to be on a reliable network. The computer desk also has an extremely comfortable work chair, which I never wanted to get up after I had sat down in. Next to that is a large flat-screen television on a swivel mount so as to be viewable anywhere in the room, equipped with all of the local channels and a typical variety of cable television, including HBO. Then, farther into the room there is a large, plus and extremely comfortable L-shaped couch with a large soft footstool in front of it. This is the perfect area to sit, relax and enjoy the view! This L-shaped couch fits in the corner of the room, right in between the large and expansive windows, which truly allows one to enjoy the best view of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis! To the left of the couch, one finds a long skinny hallway into the bathroom and changing area. At the end of this hallway is a door which would presumably lead to another bedroom, allowing one to turn this Suite into a true two-bedroom Suite. At the end of the hallway before the door, one will find a standard sized closet, equipped with a laptop sized safe, iron and ironing board, and extra bedding for the couch. Just before that closet is a comfortable bench which can serve as a changing area. Immediately upon entering the hall, one finds the first of two sinks. This first sink is a perfect vanity area, separate from the main bathroom, so one is easily able to get ready for the day while another is in the shower or the toilet. The second sink is just inside the main bathroom area to the left. This is a standard Hyatt bathroom, with a large vanity area and sink, plus standard toilet and shower. The bathroom is equipped with the standard Hyatt Portico Bath Products of the "White Ginger" variety. All-in-all, a truly amazing Hyatt room, and I highly recommend spending the extra money for this category of a room.

However, should you decide not to spend the extra money on this type of room, the standard rooms are equally wonderful -- they just lack the true superb views that make the "Arch View Deluxe King" the best room at the property. My in-laws stayed in a standard "Double Guestroom" and I can assure you, it was a top-notch room. And, although they didn't have a full view of the Arch, they had a beautiful view of the Old Courthouse and the Park, as well as a small glimpse of the Arch. The room was equipped with all of the standard Hyatt amenities -- two "Grand Beds," a good work desk/chair, a large flat-screen television on a swivel mount so as to be viewable anywhere in the room, a normal sized Bathroom with the same Portico Bath Products, as well as a very large window sill that one can sit in and enjoy the view. A perfect room -- but again, for the best view in the city, splurge on that "Arch View Deluxe King" room.

And, not only are the rooms beautiful, the entire property is amazing! The service is truly top-notch!

Upon arrival, you will pull into the main entrance and immediately be greeted by very friendly valet staff. This hotel has a very wide variety of parking options, ranging from $36 to $20. Although this may seem like a lot to many, I do remind you that this is a property located in the downtown area of a major city, parking is at a premium -- as such, such rates are extremely reasonable. For $36, you get "VIP Front Door Valet" meaning you drop off your car at the front entrance, and it will be delivered to you at that entrance within 10 minutes of your call down; this option allows you call ahead service to make sure you care is ready when you are. For $30, you get a very similar option, "VIP Motor Lobby Valet" which is essentially the same, but your car will be brought to you in the P1 area of the attached parking garage, which is just one floor below the lobby and is easily accessible by stairs or elevator from the lobby. Next is the option which we chose, "Standard Valet" service at a cost of $26 per night. It is basically the same as the first two, except that you do not get call-ahead privileges -- you just take your ticket down to the motor lobby, provide your ticket and they will bring your car to you very quickly ... we had no issues with this service. It should also be noted that they have a very nice air conditioned (and heated, depending on the season) area for you to wait for your car. The final option, is "Hyatt Self Park" for $20 -- honestly, for the extra $6 and not having to deal with finding your own space in a typically tight city garage, I highly recommend the "Standard Valet" service. Finally, there is a second garage not immediately attached to the property which provides "Economy Parking" -- I would not recommend this option, as it's not as easily accessible, you cannot charge it to your room and you get no in-and-out privileges.

Check-in was as quick and efficient as the initial parking experience. Upon check-in, I was immediately greeting by name and thanked for being a valued Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond Level Guest. The front desk agent gave me all of the information on the property, and quickly gave me my Diamond Amenity selection card. When I noticed that a Merlot was not as option, she very quickly informed me that she would gladly make a change and send up a bottle of the Canvas Merlot as opposed to the Cabernet and Chardonnay that we listed. All-in-all, check-in took mere minutes and we were on our way to the beautiful "Arch View Deluxe King Room" on the 12th floor.

Also, I notice that there have been a lot of reviews that comment on the elevators at this property. I can assure everyone that there is no issue with the elevators -- they are very quick, efficient and extremely well marker. As with most tall city Hyatt properties, certain elevator banks only travel to certain floors to maximize efficiency and minimize wait time. This is clearly marked over each of the two elevator banks and should not cause any confusion.

As for the food, the food at this Hyatt is truly top-notch! You have three separate restaurants to select from, of which we had the opportunity to sample two. First, there is the "Brewhouse Historical Sports Bar." As its name implies, it is a sports bar of the highest quality. There is ample seating, a wonderful full bar with numerous local beers on tap with great views of multiple flat screen HD-televisions. My main reason for eating there was the huge selection of fun brews, but the food was also excellent. We ate there for lunch and I would highly recommend the "Fish and Chips" with a Schlafly Beer! Next, you will find "RED Kitchen." This offers amazing meals at all times of the day. We had breakfast both mornings at RED, which offers a truly AMAZING breakfast buffet -- the buffet included all of the standard breakfast fare, as well as a made-to-order omelet station and a made-to-order waffle station with ample topping options. At $15.95 including juices and coffee, this is a wonderful way to have breakfast each morning! We did not have a chance to try lunch there, but the menu looked fantastic! As for dinner at RED, it was exquisite! There were several different options, and I highly recommend the Filet. Service was amazing, and the food was perfectly cooked. RED also offers a wonderful bar with great "5 for $5" happy hour opportunities, to include $5 wells/wines along with various appetizers for a mere $5. I would highly recommend this location for a relaxing Happy Hour drink and snack! Finally, this property also has a "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse." This appears to be a standard Ruth's Chris that you can find in most cities; we did not have a chance to dine here, but the atmosphere looked AMAZING! Oh, and there is also a Starbucks in the main lobby for one to achieve their daily coffee fix!

As for the location of this property, you truly cannot beat it! It literally is just across the street from the Gateway Arch and the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park, so one can easily get to the Arch at all hours of the day. Also, one can partake in a truly relaxing and romantic carriage ride through the streets of St. Louis, as the carriages pick-up just outside the Main Lobby. Additionally, this property is a very quick and easy 15-20 minute drive (without traffic) on I-70 from Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, so it's very easy to get to after a long flight. Other local attractions include the Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tour; a mere 2-miles or a $10 cab ride from the property ... I highly recommend the latter due to the free samplings offered there. It truly is a wonderful free tour, and for a nominal fee of $10, one is able to attend "Beer School" which is a lot of fun! Oh, and the property is in walking distance of the baseball stadium if you want to take in a Cardinals game. All-in-all, this property is centrally located to a number of fun attractions in the St. Louis area!

That pretty much sums up all details of this truly amazing property. If you are going to St. Louis, you should not miss the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch, as it is the best place to stay and offers some of the best views in the city!

Room Tip: Splurge and get the Arch View Deluxe King Room!!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AttorneyVin

Dear vincentppetty,

WOW! To me this sounds like a perfect description of the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch. You have gone over every detail of our hotel. All I can say is Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and it sounds like we will see you again!

Reviewed 31 May 2011

As I travel for business multiple times per month I have stayed at hotels across the country in all price ranges. And I must say that this hotel is a bit of a disappointment when I look at overall value. As with most of the upper-end hotels I have visited, what the traveler gets for his hard-earned money is quite less than at a Comfort Inn or Best Western.
The room is small and oddly shaped. The important amenities are not included in the room price. Parking is outrageous ($20+/day), internet is $15/day, no complimentary items (breakfast, bottled water, etc). The bed is no more comfortable than that I find at other hotels.

About the only thing this hotel has going for it is location. And if I had been traveling for pleasure, that would be a bigger consideration. However, as I will have little time to play tourist, it is not as important to me as internet.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Byzantios

Dear Byzantios,

I am sadden to hear that you felt our hotel has disappointing value. I do want to point out that thought there is a charge for internet in the rooms, it is free in the Lobby of the hotel for our guest. Thank you for your feeback.

Reviewed 30 May 2011

I stayed here during a convention which was at the hotel. Service was near-excellent, although some of the front desk staff seemed young and inexperienced. Several customer service people roamed the lobby asking if people needed help.

Rooms were fine. There was traffic noise early in the morning. Be aware that his hotel being in a central downtown location will inevitably have some street noise. Fitness center was very good.

Food was good. Typical Starbucks in lobby and we ate at Ruth's Chris, also in the lobby, which was expensive but excellent. Meeting rooms were good but not excellent. We had some trouble with room lighting, noise and thumping from upstairs shaking the ceiling and chandeliers, and the biggest problem with the meeting location is that street people would wander around. There wasn't any visible hotel security to keep people away from the meeting rooms and exhibits. I guess that's tough to avoid with a downtown hotel.

Beer was expensive - at least $6 a bottle. Tip - there are some convenience stores and liquor stores within a block or two where you can get a 6-pack for $6 instead of a single bottle.

I would recommend this hotel if you want something near the Arch and Laclede's Landing. Pretty close to Busch Stadium.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Dear CPandthekids,

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I do want to apologize that you had some issues with the meeting rooms. This is definitely something I will pass on to our Convention Services team. And yes, we are in the heart of downtown, we are as close to the Arch as you could possible be! Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the future!