“Not what we were expecting...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch
Ranked #18 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlestown, Indiana, United States
“Not what we were expecting...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We booked this hotel, hoping it would be a special experience (being our first legitimate hotel for two 20-somethings). However, this is not a 4-star hotel. The walls are paper thin and we could hear employees cell phones, talking in other rooms, etc, for the duartion of our stay. There was no ventilation in the bathroom to drown that sound out, nor absorb hot water from showers or smells from other bathroom functions. The Brewhouse downstairs had a great atmosphere, but substandard food. The staff (when they're cell phones are turned off) are great, the location is perfect, parking is easy. But that doesn't take away lack of sleep and slamming doors we heard our ENTIRE stay. There is no excuse for the amount of noise we heard in our room, even during their so-called "quiet hours." This whole experience was quite the letdown and left a sour taste in our mouth. So be careful if you go!

Room Tip: If you're going to do it, go big. The smaller rooms are small and, obviously, not very quiet.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Wes S
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Good Evening Wes S,

Thank you for staying with us. I sincerely apologize that we did not exceed your expectations while you were here. I am sorry if this caused any type of inconvenience to your stay. If there is anything I can do to make up for the sub-standard experience, please feel free to contact me at the hotel. (andrew.wrozek@hyatt.com). We appreciate your feedback and we hope to see you in the future.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wrozek
Front Office Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Korean first
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stopped off here for the night (got in about 6 p.m., left next morning by 8 a.m.) on the way west from home, but found the great staff and room very much something we'd do again for longer. The hotel had convenient self-parking, offered $5 internet if you check in on Foursquare and show the check in at the desk and they had a lot of things from the Arch to downtown nearby. We will say the room was a bit small and the bathroom worse, but things were sparking clean and very comfortable so the bit cramped space was not anything to notice. We had a lovely view of the Arch from the room windows and that really made the stay fun, too. Desk staff was helpful on a restaurant and sent us to a nice one 4 blocks away. I will say downtown was deserted on a weeknight about 9 when we finished eating and on the way back from dinner almost scarily so, so if I'd been a single I would have hailed a cab for the trip back after the sun set. We were 2 men so we walked but were not 100% full of safety with the emptiness and few homeless in doorways etc. The hotel was great in the morning, too with a Starbucks in the lobby so we could get done and away on our journey promptly. Oh and did I mention we got it on Priceline for (wait for it) $55 :)

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and Arch view if they have either or both for you!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thanks lilamadison, for your great review! I’m glad to hear you got a great deal and were able to enjoy your short visit with us. We hope to see you back sometime this summer for a Cardinal’s game or one of St. Louis’ parades or festivals at the Arch. Please contact me personally if you need anything, we’re looking forward to your next visit.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I have stayed here now 4 times for work and have been impressed each time. The staff is extremely professional and you can tell customer satisfaction is a priority. The rooms that I have stayed in have all been updated and done very tastefully. I have stayed in a massive suite (which I was upgraded to) as well as a small king room--I have nothing to complain about in any of them. The bedding is by far my favorite with very soft sheets and an ample amount of pillows. The bathrooms are extremely clean, well designed and maintained. I also have enjoyed the restaurants downstairs which range from a nice sports bar to an upscale steak house. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The best views of the arch are along the side of the hotel next to the highway--great views but not...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank fly_high5
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you Fly High5 for your review and for your repeat business. We certainly appreciate all of your comments and feedback, and hope to have you as our guest several more times over the summer. Please contact me personally if there is anything I can do to make your future stays even more enjoyable. Thanks again,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed here for a conference- four nights & five days. The conference was so engaging I rarely walked out of the hotel- that is why I'm particularly thankful that this was an excellent choice. The room was newly renovated and immaculate; the bathroom spacious and spotless (I had a dressing area attached to the bathroom); the hotel staff is just about the friendliest I've met... and even the room service was fast and yummy.

I spent a little more to be upgraded to a king, non-smoking room that overlooked the Arch. Do it if you can- the view is delightful and it was a VERY large room (with hallway, dressing area, nice bathroom and a VERY large main room). It wasn't a suite, but it might as well have been! I'm pretty sure it's larger than my NY apartment~ Loved it. I truly felt relaxed and "at home" when back in my room between meetings.

Advice- (in addition to upgrading if you can), if you have trouble walking- ask for a room closer to the elevator banks. My room was a corner room at the end of the hall. It provided an awesome view, but if you have any issues with walking- it IS a large hotel. Ask to be closer to the elevators.

Room Tip: Tips for room choice- upgrade to Arch View if you can; ask to be close to the elevator if you have t...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Freckles92
Thanks Freckles92 for your great review! We strive to make all of our guests feel comfortable and at-home, so we’ll definitely take your review as a compliment. I certainly agree with you also, I’d recommend upgrading to our corner Arch View deluxe rooms – they have breathtaking views of the Mississippi River and the Gateway Arch. They are also nearly 800 square feet, so they feel much more like an apartment than a hotel room.

We really appreciate your comments, please let me know if you need anything at all on any future stays.

Thanks again,

Christopher.Palid@Hyatt.com
Marina, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

If you look at the front of this place on Google Street View, you'll see "Adam's Mark" at the top of the driveway. When I was a kid, Adam's Mark was the symbol for top-notch hotels, at least for me. I got the chance to stay in the last remaining Adam's Mark in Buffalo last year - the first time I had ever stayed in one - and it was like being around a very old woman who had been very beautiful in her early life. It was attempting to live up to what it was once was through grandiose superficiality but, ultimately, failed to do so.
I relate this story because I'm starting to see that the Hyatt brand is on the same path. This is only the second Hyatt I've stayed in in the past ten years, with the other just a couple of months prior to this one. In both cases, it just did not live up to my expectations for a Hyatt property, as Hyatt, to me, means luxury and a true definition of 4-star accommodation.
Both properties were obtained through Hotwire for roughly the same amount. This St. Louis property had a nicer lobby and a nicer room overall, but there were still the issues that you see in these lower-end, older 4* properties, like the odd and small room layout, shabby hallways, a dysfunctional and slow elevator, and what seemed to be staff issues.
When I checked in, I found that we were booked into a two double room. I requested a king and was told that one was available, despite the hotel being full that night. We went out that night and did not try the bed until about 1am, when we discovered crumbs and hair in the bed. We called the front desk and were told that the housekeeping manager would be there in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later, a man shows up with what looks like a sheet set but is, instead, a mattress cover for a double bed. He leaves and says he'll be back. Another 15 minutes go by, and we call downstairs again, offering to come down and get the sheets ourselves. The original man and another man in a suit, stating he's a manager, shows up. The latter was visibly agitated and only offered excuses about how busy they were that night. The bed was finally re-made past 2. My wife was more upset by this than I was, but I was mainly upset at the fact that this was handled as poorly as it was.
The fact is that there are a number of 4-star hotels in Downtown St. Louis that all run at roughly the same rate and offer the same amenities. I'm a Hilton guy normally, for various reasons, and strongly considered one of their properties for this two-night stay, but was pulled away by the fact that the rate here was something like 40% less through Hotwire. I regret the choice. The unfortunate situation that we experienced could have happened anywhere, but there's no getting around the fact that other places would have likely handled it better. If I had paid full price for this room, then I would have been extremely disappointed.
It's especially disconcerting to me because they seem to put a lot of emphasis on the staff-guest interaction here. We ended up relating the experience to a woman who I assume was a manager as we left, and just got sort of a nodding head of empathy and an offer of an upgrade for next time. I think my wife wanted something comped. I just wanted a "We'll try harder next time." I didn't get that verbally and didn't get the feeling that what I had to say was going to be anything more than that brief conversation.
My other Hyatt stay wasn't much better than this one, but the room was clean there, at least. In the future, I don't think I will specifically avoid the Hyatt brand, but it's certainly been put in a vastly different place in my mind than where it was before. Even with that upgrade offer, I don't think I'll be here my next time in St. Louis. There's a Hilton virtually across the street.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor. The lower floor elevators seem to be wonky.
1 Thank colinaz
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Wow, I’m extremely disappointed to hear how we dropped the ball during your visit. It’s embarrassing, and certainly not an indication of how we take care of our guests.

I would like to invite you back to our hotel as my personal guest on your next visit to St. Louis. I can assure you that we’ve worked hard to earn our reputation of great service, clean and comfortable accommodations, and friendly and engaging employees. You will see that your last visit was the exception and not the rule.

If you could please contact me at your earliest convenience so I can work out the details with you I would appreciate it.

Thank you again for your understanding.

(314)342-4647
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed here on a Friday night for a concert. Got a great rate, convenient location close to the venue. Very accommodating staff, friendly, quick check-in, had a nice large room with a good view of the arch. Water in the lobby was delicious! Parking a few blocks away, while a bit confusing with a maze of aisles and entry/exit points, was very cheap given the weekend rate. Surprisingly dull scene on a Friday night in the surrounding area, but not a knock on the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the arch
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Hopefully you’ll be back to visit us as the city gears up for an exciting spring and summer. Please contact me if there’s ever anything I can do to assist you. Thank you again for taking the time to give us feedback.

AUS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

From the moment you walk into the Hyatt Regency at The Arch, the entire staff go out of their way to make you feel special, and at home. Great location, excellent choices for food and beverage, super clean rooms...there is nothing negative I can say about my stays here. One of my favorite aspects is the 9 PM - 9 AM "Quiet Period" that they enforce for the hallways. Makes for the most consistently quiet sleep of any hotel I have ever stayed at. A real joy.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Ed R,

Thank you for staying with us! We are happy that the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch is your choice Hotel in St. Louis. Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us and the Tripadvisor community. I will be sure to pass on to Security that they should keep up the good work for controlling the Noise plan that we have set in place. We hope to see you again!

Best Regards,