“Chic & Hip Hotel w/Excellent Service!”
Review of Moonrise Hotel

Moonrise Hotel
Ranked #5 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Memphis, TN
“Chic & Hip Hotel w/Excellent Service!”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed at the Moonrise for one night and had a wonderful time! The entire hotel is unique and modern. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful!! I stayed with friends in the Vincent Price suite and it was everything you could want and more. I had an excellent stay and would recommend it to anyone. Very, very cool hotel in a very cool area of St. Louis. Would also recommend the homemade moon pies from the restaurant! Delicious.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
moonrisegm, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
We are glad you liked the Vincent Price Suite! Thank you for staying and thank you for your review.

- Jason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel in St. Louis because of how close it is to the Pageant. My wife and I were in town for the Needtobreathe show and wanted somewhere hip and close to the venue. I had previously stayed at the Moonrise before for both business and pleasure and had never received poor customer service. However, this was not the case for this particular stay. The front desk staff were rude and lacked any customer service skills. I travel frequently for business purposes and have never experienced this poor of service before. The parking is a nightmare at this property with valet being the only option most nights. Upon returning home I discovered that I had left a garment in the closet. After a month of trying to reach their customer satisfaction manager I have still not received any reply emails or phone calls to try and recover this garment. I find this totally unsatisfactory. Then today I discover mysterious charges on my Visa. These charges were for mini-bar items that we supposedly consumed during our stay. Wrong! We did not touch these items. Lastly, I am a member of their desires program and received none of the amenities awarded for being a member of this program. Again, I love the hotel and its superb location just not the customer service I recently received.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank RCTalberto
moonrisegm, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
I apologize for the experience during your most recent stay. I would like to make the service aspect of your next stay much more enjoyable. When you consider staying with us again, please contact me directly so I can insure you the level of service you are accustomed to experiencing.

evanston
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My kids and I stayed at the Moonrise for just one night because my daughter was going on a college tour at Washington University. We wished we were staying longer! Beautifully decorated hotel, clean, with lots of extras that make a hotel stay special: very comfortable beds, abundant and easy access free parking, sound machine in room, ipod stand, a big umbrella to borrow, a rooftop terrace. I found the staff helpful and attentive. Very close to Washington U, a nice 6 block walk. Also, the immediate neighborhood, Delmar in the Loop has lots of good restaurants and shops. Hope to stay there again. The kids loved it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback. Please visit us again if you are in town!

Safe Travels,
Jason
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We had a lovely 5 night stay here as had tickets for a couple of nights at the pageant next door. It has a great location for the loop and close to train st. The rooms are beautiful and the bathroom is great. Also loved the rooftop terrace bar. This stay would have been perfect had it not have been for the service we recieved even before checking in... The stay coincided with my 1st wedding anniversary so I joined their advertised desires programme to add a few personal touches to our stay, I filled in the desires form and emailed off a request for an upgraded room and some information on the local area. Recieved no response back and nothing in room upon arrival. Possibly the worst part of the stay was arrival at reception we were asked if we wanted directions and the receptionist looked surprised that we were actually staying, not the warmest of welcomes and no mention of my desires requests for a possible upgrade. We stayed 5 nights and really enjoyed the stay the hotel is fabulous but we had very little to do with the staff. We would stay here again but wouldn't bother with the desires package.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elle442
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the lack of execution with Your Desires program. Please contact me upon your next visit, and I will ensure that we provide a much improved service experience.

Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I have family in St. Louis and we visit there every year. We had separately booked several rooms over a recent weekend, and the front desk staff accommodated us by placing us in the same wing on one floor.

The rooms were spacious with either two queens, or a king bed (and the king rooms had a lime green fainting couch). We thought the decor was fun. We all enjoyed conveniences like the mini-fridge, free wifi, and free parking. The beds were overall very comfortable, but a little on the soft side. Of the several vehicles in our group, only one car for one night needed valet parking; the other times, free parking was available in the lot behind the hotel.

The hotel is also located within walking distance of many casual, non-chain restaurants. It's close to Forest Park and right on The Loop. This is where we'll book our future visits to St. Louis.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
moonrisegm, General Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
We are glad you enjoyed both the hotel and the neighborhood! We look forward to your next stay with us. Please let us know how we may assist.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

My mom and I had tickets for a show at The Pageant, so we decided it would be worthwhile to not have to drive after the show. Not only was the location great, but it was one of the best overall hotel experiences we've had. The employees were all very friendly and helpful. The decor made it a fun and hip atmosphere without being overwhelming. (The rainbow light up staircase was a personal favorite.) The beds were also very comfortable. Great value! Highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Please see us again during your next visit to The Pageant!

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed at the Moorise recently for a couple of nights (mid-week) based on its proximity to The Pageant (where we saw a couple of shows) and whole heartedly recommend it!

Before I go any further, I should point out that we got a good (but not fantastic) rate via Hotwire and that has some influence on my feeling. Not only because it was a deal, but also because it seemed clear we were treated just like any other guest even though we had booked the room via a “bidding” site (which isn’t always the case).

I just can’t speak highly enough of our experience. Check-in went without a hitch; we weren’t able to get the exact rooms my wife was told to request (when she had called in advance to request two beds and a “quiet” room) as they weren’t clean yet; but they did accommodate the both requests and we were given a room at the end of the hall and we got the room before the official check-in time.

The lobby was nice (as were all of the public spaces) – a little on the sparse side, but in tune with the modern nature of the hotel – as was our room. Yes, they have a whole “moon theme” going on, but unlike at least one reviewer it didn’t bother me.

Every staff interaction was pleasant and there were no problems with anything. We did not eat at the restaurant, but did have a drink at the bar (nice, but a little pricey as most hotel bars are). The rooftop bar/lounge was not yet open for the season. It appears to have a “firm” April 1st opening date and can’t say I blame them; but it would be nice if there was more flexibility on this. It was definitely warm enough when we were there (mid-March), but I can understand why they have this in place as many years it wouldn’t be.

I suppose if I were to look for “bad” things to point out – and they weren’t really problems for us, but might be for others – one was that our room only had a shower, no tub. Also, the shower head is a “rainfall” style. (I prefer a higher pressure showerhead.) Also, even though our room had been cleaned before we checked it; a staff person came by to restock the in-room snack selection after we had moved into the room (but was very courteous about it). Lastly, while the bed & bedding were top notch, the bed was softer than I like.

I hope everyone can understand that I’m nit-picking here about all these “negative” things; partly to show just how minor our “complaints” were.

Regarding the parking situation, here’s a tip. Their is a free parking lot behind the hotel, but a significant portion of it is taken up by the hotel's valet parking (maybe half or more?). The non-valet portion was full or nearly full for much of the time we were there. Here’s the tip: if you can, time your arrival and car usage, you may be able to avoid valet parking. We arrived early to mid-afternoon and had no problem finding a space. Left the car there the whole rest of the day/night (walked to eat & the show). The next day we drove and simply made sure we were back in the mid-afternoon and didn’t have a problem getting another spot. Now obviously this worked well for us because our main reason for being in town were the shows at The Pageant and might not work for others, but if you can arrange your days properly, you might be able to duplicate our success. All this said, we knew we had the the valet parking as a backup plan (and that was nice).

Well, that’s pretty much it other than to say we will certainly consider using this hotel anytime we come to Saint Louis; especially if our trip has any focus on things in the Delmar Loop area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
We appreciate all of your feedback. Please let us know how we may assist you on your next trip to Saint Louis!

Safe Travels,