Lemp Mansion Restaurant & Inn
The Hotel Majestic St. Louis(Saint Louis)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$131
US$119
Hyatt.com
  • Restaurant
Best Western Kirkwood Inn(Kirkwood)(Great Value!)
US$148
US$191
US$134
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsmurder mysteryghost huntinghaunted historypotato pancakesovernight guestswiener schnitzelupon checksuiteorbsbrewerysupernaturallouisrestorationweddingmo
Reviewed July 15, 2011

The ambiance of this historic building is amazing. However, with that being said they do have some rough areas. Check in took forever. We walked in and there was no one at the front desk area. Finally someone came and was trying to help us and another lady at the same time, plus answer the phone. He lost our room key and thought that he had already given it to me and I had lost it. Then he walked back into the room he'd just been in and there was the key where he'd left it. We stayed in the Lavender Suite and it is amazing! There's a good sized dining room, bedroom, and huge bathroom. It's beautiful. At night all the staff leave and you're free to move about most of the mansion. Most people say it's a creepy place but we didn't think so. And we did have our flashlight turn on by itself once in the parlor area. It's just a really fun place to visit. This place is advertised as a bed and breakfast. It is NOT a bed and breakfast. Like other reviewers have said, there is a variety of packaged foods in your room upon check in. However, I do not consider BBQ potato chips, wine, and chocolate chip cookies breakfast. There are some danishes and juice, too. In my opinion, they need to either serve an actual breakfast or drop the Bed and Breakfast gimmick and lower the price of the room. My only other issue came upon checkout. It was about 7:30 and we were ready to leave. We went downstairs and there was still no staff in the mansion. There was a sign on the front door saying to leave out the back and drop your key back in the mailslot...which puts your key on the floor of a room in the house. You have to sign a paper when you check in agreeing to a $50 replacement fee for any lost keys. I did worry that if someone picked up my key after we left, they could do whatever they wanted with it and we would be charged $50 for a new key. If this hotel could work through these issues, it would be amazing. The history and ambiance make it a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hlmorrison
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Long time waiting to come to this place. It was everything I expected and more!! Place was absolutely elegant, the experience was the best time ever. I like the independence of roaming the mansion freely. Definitely will be back!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gand83
Reviewed January 28, 2011

From the moment we arrived to the mansion the staff was extremly rude. We were staying the night and also had dinner. When I wanted to complain, the people that were rude to us were the owners of the mansion. I will never go back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank daisie16
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Had a great time with my hubby at the Lemp Mansion. We stayed two nights in the Charles Lemp suite. No complaints, only the bed was not very comfortable. It is haunted. I fell down the stairs actually....long story. Had a few experiences...I recommend the ghost tour- you learn A LOT of history about the house and the family :). I do want to go back one day...hopefully they can explain the extra charges they gave us though :/ Really amazing place!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lagurl1014
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Stayed at the Lemp in conjunction with a 8:30 pm ghost tour, then a 1030 pm check in for the bed and breakfast. The ghost tour was...eeh..fun to learn the history, the tour guide was ok. It could have been great, the stories of the Lemp family are amazing and tragic. A good storyteller as the tour guide would have made all the difference. That being said, it was ok, a good introduction to the history of the building. The tour is done in the dark, and you carry a video camera which is provided to pick up any ghost footage etc, so that was fun.
We stayed in the Lavender suite. Gorgeous room, huge bathroom (one of the few with a private bathroom and it's enormous). It was after check in that we really had the most fun. You are left with the other overnight guests to explore all night long. We stayed up until 6 am and had an absolute blast. Is this place haunted? Absolutely. We spent a few hours in the basement "talking" to a ghost. We had a flashlight sitting on the table. We would ask questions, the light would come on and off in response. Nobody was near the light..it was really amazing. Tons of orbs in pictures, very real "cold spots" etc.
Finally went to bed at the crack of dawn, and it sure was obvious that it was dawn as there are no shades or heavy drapes on those giant windows. Slept with a pillow over my face to try to block some of the light. Even if we had gone to bed at a decent time, who wants to get up at dawn when you are on vacation? Bed and "Breakfast" is really an understatement here. The "breakfast" is what is on your table in your room at check in. 2 granola bars. An Otis Spunkmeyer cookie, a bag of potato chips and a bottle of water. Serving an actual breakfast would be great.
So, recommend it? Yes, if you are looking for a really interesting and different night. If you are looking for a traditional B & B however, this isn't it. There is a GREAT restaurant up the street though that served an amazing breakfast, Benton Park Cafe and Coffee, across the street from Gus's pretzels :)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple