“Huge Menu...Lots of Variety to Chose From!”
Review of Mai Lee

Mai Lee
Ranked #87 of 3,092 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Vietnamese
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2018

Our recent visit to St. Louis to spend time with my wife's family involved food and exploration… For a change of pace, my wife's sister Bonnie and her husband Bill suggested a popular local Vietnamese restaurant. It had been a long time since we had any Vietnamese cuisine so we were enthusiastic to give it a try!

Mai Lai Vietnamese and Chinese Restaurant in Brentwood Missouri is actually built into the ground floor of a parking garage and parking for customers is free... The interior of the restaurant is a large and bustling place with a lot going on… The dining area is expansive and this popular restaurant and bar is a busy place!

Lee Tran, the founder of Mai Lee Restaurant first opened for business in another location in 1985 with a full Chinese menu. Over time she introduced Vietnamese dishes and expanded to this location. She opened the first Vietnamese Restaurant in the St. Louis area.

My wife remembered the great Vietnamese Iced Coffee that we used to order when we lived in Chicago, so she ordered it at Mai Lee. Basically, its quality medium or dark blend coffee processed through a French press with hot water and then added to a glass with ice and condensed milk. She did enjoy this special treat! ($4.00)

The ladies weren’t too hungry so there was a lot of focus on the appetizers. It was all about the spring rolls! We had 2 orders of Goi Cuon with shrimp, pork and vegetables wrapped in rice paper. ($3.95 per order with 2 spring rolls each) Then we had Goi Cuon Ga Nuong, grilled chicken spring rolls. ($5.25) Finally, we had Goi Cuon Thit Nuong, BBQ pork spring rolls. ($5.25) We enjoyed all of them and we agreed that we could have made a meal just from a few more of these delicious appetizers…

My better half strayed from our foray into Vietnamese cuisine to order a bowl of one of her favorite soups. It was Mai Lee’s version of classic Chinese Hot and Sour Soup. ($4.50) It was loaded with egg, wood ear mushrooms and bamboo shoots and it was very good.

Bonnie and my wife split a Banh Mi Thit (Vietnamese Pork Sandwich) for their dinner. ($4.50) Not only was it a good buy, it was a great sandwich too. It consisted of Vietnamese-style pork, pate, mayonnaise, cucumber, pickles, jalapenos and cilantro served on a nice roll.

For my entrée, I ordered the Truu Xao Xa Ot. ($18.95) This is a lamb stir fry with hot chili and lemon grass. There was a lot of onion as well and while I’m not big on large pieces of onion, they were easy to eat around. I loved the flavor and heat offered by my entrée but in my opinion the lamb was tougher than it should have been…

Bill ordered the Mi Xao Thap Cam – Vietnamese-style Lo Mein for his meal. ($15.95) It came with a combination of meat and shrimp. He’d had this dish before at Mai Lee and he knew he liked it!

In summary, we wish that we had a restaurant like this anywhere in the Knoxville Tennessee metropolitan area!

Reviewed March 29, 2018 via mobile

This was our 1st visit to ML in the rejuvenated heart of Brentwood just off of Hanley near I-40/64. It was a busy place for a Wednesday night at 7 with what appeared to be a diverse clientele. We only had a short wait. Their very extensive menu was bulky and heavy with too small of print but appeared loaded with many luscious choices. I had the Pho Tom for about $10 and the shrimp St. Paul sandwich for about $6. My wife had the Pad Thai for about $16. Our table shared the 5 mini shrimp roll app. Positives: Amazing choice of dishes, wonderful St. Paul sandwich and the foods served alnost too promptly plus plentiful nearby parking. Negatives: Noise level created by too many flat concrete non sound absorbing surfaces that makes it very difficult to converse even across a table of 4 and the soft drinks served "flat". We'll accept their +'s over their -'s and return.

Reviewed March 17, 2018

I love Bahn Mi, and this place has the best authentic Vietnamese sandwiches! And the aromas from the kitchen were intoxicating! Also, they have a full service bar! You can't beat this authentic treasure of a restaurant. You will not be disappointed with anything you pick from their menu.

Reviewed March 11, 2018

I am vegetarian and gluten free so it's not always easy to find good menu selections. I had the tofu curry and was VERY pleasantly surprised at how good it was! My husband inadvertently got something he didn't like, though, so probably best to discuss with the server before ordering. So many people like Mai Lee and they have many things to choose from!

1  Thank SparkySparks2013
Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

Went to dinner with friends on Tuesday evening. Arrived at 6:00pm, they got crowded by 7:00pm. The menu is extensive and everything sounded amazing. Veggie and shrimp spring rolls were very good and the sauce was amazing. I ordered the chicken with eggplant and onions. The eggplant was slightly undercooked so chewy. Other diner got chicken with vegetables in garlic sauce and chicken with broccoli. Dishes were very tasty and HUGE! We all took home over 1/2 of our order. Very busy yet our wait staff was attentive and pleasant. Will return to try other dishes.