“Love the hotel hate the AC/Heat in room”

Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ozarks
“Love the hotel hate the AC/Heat in room”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This was a great brand new hotel, but the AC unit drove us crazy. It was 41 degrees outside and we set wall thermostat for 71. It cycled on and off every 6 minutes and either froze us out or roasted us and the noise was horrendous. And yes, I timed it because it was so an annoyance. Such a pity for a great property. On a good note beds were 'sleep number' and pretty comfortable. Also the breakfast needs to be more clearly stated it is $9 a person BEFORE you eat. We assumed it was like Embassy Suites---free! Also Farmer's Market on Saturday swamped this parking lot and access road. Took us 10 minutes to reach intersection to leave hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I booked this newer HGI on a return visit to Springfield. I thought that I was booking an older HGI was quite surprised to see the new look for HGI! The reception station is in the same place but this one has a mirror/water fall fixture behind the desk. The colors are rich and bright. The expanded bar/restaurant area is big, open and very attractive with a vaulted ceiling and fireplace that make it very attractive and appealing when you walk into the front door. There is even a "firepit" with large comfy chairs on the adjacent patio.

The next thing that I noticed was that the normal squeaky, noisy and slow HGI elevators have been replaced here by ultra quiet and smooth elevators with noiseless operation! My car arrived within seconds, rather than minutes, and the door opened so quickly and so quietly that I only realized that it had arrived as the doors were closing after waiting for me to get in.

My room had two large double beds with upscale furniture and finishing. There was a light at the doorway and two lamps. The furniture was dark and the accent walls, at the outside and hallside walls, were very dark brown. The overall effect was to find myself in the darkest hotel room that I've ever stayed in. While I was there on business, and was away some of the day, I found that the darkness of the sleeping room was a real turnoff. The weather was also gloomy and so it was just dark and gloomy in or out of the room. Even the excellent new flat screen TV didn't cheer up the room! It was quite refreshing to stay in a very new room, where everything worked. Too bad that it is just so dark.

I had breakfast, which was very good and expansive, and dinner. I was the only guest at the bar and/or restaurant for the hour plus that I was there. The barkeep was congenial but we were the only ones downstairs except for the front desk clerk and a few people checking in.

The location is on the south east side of town and away from the airport but closer to Branson and perhaps this what the owners anticipate will attract provide the majority of their potential guests.

Excellent new lobby design but dark rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Texas
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I travel every week on business and, when possible, try to stay at Garden Inn's. This property was one of the best. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful upon checking in/out and for morning breakfast. The room was among the best of all Garden Inn's and I had a quite stay with no noise from neighboring rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Very Nice, Very Clean Brand New Hilton Garden Inn. Staff was very friendly. Rooms very clean. Bed was perfect. Work out room was state of the art machines and weights. Flat screens...most excellent. Houlihans a block to the west...excellent Happy Hour pricing and drinks.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Shreveport, La
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I always read reviews prior to booking a room. I agree with most reviews of this property. The cleanest Hilton property that we have ever booked. We were so impressed that the room/suite was COMPLETELY absent of any odors, period. We were greeted as Hilton Honors members and the entire staff from front desk to housekeeping were SOOOO nice and apparently had no negative attitudes amongst any employees. We were pleasantly surprised to receive a room upgrade to a king suite as a part of our Hilton honors membership. We had never been to Springfield so the front desk was so helpful in suggestions for navigating the traffic etc. we ate dinner at the restaurant in the hotel. Highly recommend the club sandwich. Large enough to share. Food was Very good. Our waitress was so efficient and pleasant to talk to.
Room was very quite even on the interstate side did not hear traffic at all. The "sleep number" beds were OK..... Clean linens but not so comfy to me I prefer a softer mattress. But not a deal breaker for a return trip. Would stay here again if in Springfield.
Only negative that may need to be addressed by management is the breakfast situation. We had a free breakfast coupon so we were more tolerant than if we were paying approx. $10.00. First day of our stay food was plentiful and VERY tasty.......eggs bacon sausage cream gravy biscuits fresh fruit, second and third morning they were out of meat and eggs and just about everything. No urgency in replenishing. This is a management problem that needs to be addressed. BUT......when they have it the food is good. Second morning I ordered an omelet (good thing since there was NO scrambled eggs on the buffet :(...... Omelet was excellent.
Overall a great place to stay just be forewarned about breakfast!!!!

• Stayed February 2012
Franklin, Indiana
Reviewed 16 January 2012

This is a very nice hotel - clean, comfortable, spacious rooms, great beds and friendly staff. The only problem I had was the TV did not work. They sent someone up to fix it right away. The only negative was the breakfast. Service and food was lacking. If the restaurant were better I would give this property a higher rating.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dixon, Missouri
Reviewed 11 January 2012

The hotel was very nice and very well decorated. The room was very clean and had all of the amenities that you come to expect from a Hilton property. Being the new style of rooms that HGI is going to everything was great except the rock hard mattress. We stayed there during a Christmas shopping trip due to it location to the shopping areas in Springfield. After the day of shopping we checked in, looking forward to a comfortable night sleep. We were so wrong the mattress is a new style that is to have an adjustment for the comfort level. Well it did not seem to work the bed was as hard a rock. We managed to get a few hours of sleep, but work up feeling like a truck ran us over.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel with better mattresses.