“Charming, Wonderful Gem”

Aviary Cafe
Ranked #13 of 781 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This cafe was opened three months ago and after a second lovely visit, I wanted to tell "the world" about them! 417.866.NEST
Reviewed June 26, 2018 via mobile

A friend of mine first took me to the Aviary last year and I loved it!! When a conference brought me and my family back to Springfield again, we knew that the Aviary was the first on our list. I have often fondly reminisced about these crepes—they are the golden standard by which I measure all crepes—and wanted to see if they were as good as I remembered. They were and more so!

I had the Peach Melba dessert crepe. Sigh!! It was so yummy; the peaches were flambéd to perfection and the creme anglais was a nice touch. I would also recommend the lemoncello (a delectable crepe stuffed with marscapone and topped with lemon curd, mixed berries, and torched marshmallow). The savory shrimp Florentine crepe was “wowed” by my sister.

A definite treat! The decor is charming with the rustic decor and distressed wood features. Trust me—you’ll love it!!

1  Thank Alikat30

Reviewed June 25, 2018

Same deal every other day from 4-6pm.
Blackened Steak or French Pork Chop $16 every day.
Chicken & French toast $12 all day every day.
Shares a back door with 1984 Walnut @ Jefferson
I can always find parking right in front of the door.

Small, but I have never seen it crowded.

Reviewed June 1, 2018 via mobile

I visit the Aviary at least once every time I visit Springfield. The decor is a cool a mix of old and new. The food is great. We had the pomme frites, Brussels sprouts, breakfast crepe, chicken salad croissant, veggie croissant and panini. Frites and sauce are the best. Service is perfect and prices reasonable. Can’t wait to return.

Reviewed May 28, 2018

We were visiting the nearby JKH Theater and were told about this special place. We were skeptical at first, driving around the old downtown buildings and basically wondering if it was worth fighting for a parking spot.

It WAS!

First, the location and décor are a delight. Located in an old (OLD!) hotel, it still retains the original 1900's style floor tiling. The furniture is comprised of old, repurposed items (doors, windows, knickknacks, etc.) and adds to the charm.

But the food... oh, my goodness, the FOOD! Simply put, it's divine. We all took turns sampling from each other's plates and rolling our eyes in ecstasy. We tried the Farmer, the BLT, and the shrimp scampi Florentine. The last was our favorite, and I swear I would have licked the plate clean had my family not objected so strenuously. It was THAT good!

The only downside was the long wait for our food... but the food was worth it! You can't rush art, after all. And the staff was quite nice as well.

I don't often give five stars, but when I do they are well deserved. Even my young son whispered to me as we were exiting: "Dad, you ARE giving this one five stars, aren't you?"

Yes, son... I most certainly am.

Date of visit: May 2018
2  Thank BlackCat307
Reviewed April 1, 2018

Make sure you make a reservation!! Great small cafe with wonderful food, good drinks and luscious desserts!! We will be back!!

Date of visit: March 2018