“Decent Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Circle R Motel
Minnesota
“Decent Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

Motel was in process of remodelling. Our room was nicely furnished and clean. Hands-off staff; office was closed most of the time. No ice, but store next door sells it for 2 bucks. No breakfast or coffee, but small cafes really close. Expect to pay a bit more to stay in this area.

East Glacier is not a bad place to stay in for visiting Glacier Park, but it's kind of a long drive into the park. If you're coming from the west, stay in Whitefish or Kalispell. If you're driving from the east like us, East Glacier isn't bad, but next time I'd seriously consider St. Mary.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mak9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2010

Can't understand why this motel receives such bad reviews. We stayed three nights in early August and found it wholly acceptable.

To be sure, I was worried about this place. We booked first and then saw the reviews. We were almost afraid to arrive.

The Circle R is practically new, with oversized rooms and fairly deluxe bed linens. Everything was spotlessly clean upon arrival. The location couldn't have been better, as it was just steps from good restaurants, a great general store and several other amenities. The staff was efficient, the only misstep being that the maid forgot to service our room one day. Big deal: I called the office and they took care of it.

As for the various complaints written by previous reviewers:

1) The gravel parking lot is small, so I can't imagine how one previous reviewer could be up in arms about toting luggage across it. It's not the Four Seasons, after all.

2) The water from the faucet and shower was crystal clear. Before arrival, I contacted the area's "unofficial" head of the Chamber of Commerce. He stated that in the spring cloudy water can occur when there is excessive precipitation (since it is drawn directly from the river which can turn turbid with high activity). Otherwise, it is not a concern. This is simply a function of the town's water supply (and only occurs in somewhat rare instances). This is not something unique to the CIrcle R.

3) Yes, the motel is across the street from the train tracks. However, we were never disturbed by it. The trains travel through town at low speed and are practically benign. How anyone could be disturbed by them is beyond my comprehension.

Me thinks some travelers are a tad too fussy. The Circle R is a mom and pop operation located in a town that has only mom and pop operations. That's why we picked East Glacier in the first place.

If you require the Waldorf, you shouldn't expect it. But if all you want is a pleasant place to stay within walking distance of all you need, this is the place.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 3ginx
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

I arrived at the Circle R after a 30 hour train ride from Chicago. They know I was arriving on the train. The front desk guy seemed to be bothered by my arrival like I was interrupting him from combing his hair. I checked in with a modicum of politeness. ( the minimum) He then told me what room i was in and gave me the key. We went to the parking lot that was covered with gravel and then he went in another direction. now I am old enough to be his grandmother and I thought he just might help me drag my rolling luggage over the rocks. Fat Chance!!!! Luckily, a guest explained to me that the room numbers were not in order. He then helped me open the door and deposit my bags.

The room was clean and the T.V. and hot water worked but if you could book somewhere else, I would do so. Especially if you are older than a teenage and have any amount of luggage, try somewhere else......Anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank BluessisterChicago

Travellers are raving about these East Glacier Park hotels

hilo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

We arrived at E Glacier Circle R Motel around 3pm... the little area was dark... the lady at the post office said power was down since 8AM. We decided to stay outside of the area, where there were many motels with vacancies. We had reserved 3 rooms for 6 adults. We got to the office, to find the door locked with a sign telling us to call a number. I dialed the number, heard the phone ringing, but no one answered. I returned later and tried again, this time, got an answer. Still no electricity. The girl said she was just a few minutes away. Long story short, the owner, via phone, said we would be penalized both night's motel fees if we did not stay there, regardless of it being without power. Not wanting to lose our fees, we agreed to stay the night, but asked to be able to cancel the following night so we could go into a more convenient (and nicer) location. We were told we could not cancel the following night's reservation either. Later, the owner called and said we could leave but we would be charged half of the night's fee. We did not agree to that and decided that we were forced to stay or would lose half of 3 room fees. When the lights went on a 7:25PM that night, we saw the toilet water was brown. There were no signs telling us the water in the sink was not potable. It was GROSS. The owners could have had the courtesy to leave a couple of bottles of water so we could purchase more water the next day, but I guess that was too much for them to spend on guests. The rooms have NO TELEPHONES at all, and the buildings are not finished. There are cigarette butts on the unfinished stairs, and the carpet piece at our door was frayed around the edges, the loose yarn being a real tripping hazard, especially when we senior citizens had to drag our suitcases up the stairs because there was no one to help us. There is a refrigerator (dripping water due to power outage all day) a coffee maker and microwave. There was 1/4 roll of toilet paper, and since there is no phone, we had to go to the office to get another roll. We were lucky someone was in the office. We were required to pay in advance for each of the two days. When we left today at 9:45, we were once again greeted by an empty office and locked door, no staff to be seen. This motel has been the most awful experience I have ever had. My expectations are not great. I like an inexpensive room, simple, but clean and convenient. I want to deal with small business owners who show integrity and a desire to provide guests with a good experience. Honestly, I am easy to please, but these people did NOTHING to work with us when the power was off, and they cared only about renting those rooms out, even though we made it very clear that we did not want to stay the second night. Just the fact that they don't warn about the water, and furthermore do not provide drinking water shows where their priorities are. They need to finish the building, clean it up, sweep the stairs, and start manning the office and premises. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Stay in a motel outside of town, or in one of the places across the railroad track which is directly across the narrow street in front of this motel. This is my first bad review, but I think it is important for people to know what I experienced. My friends feel the same way, but they had even worse things to say.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank donnaspeaks
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

I knew it would be be cold coming in the winter time, but I really enjoyed staying here. It was a great family owned operation. They went out of their way to make sure I had a good time. Highly recommend the place. I think it would be even better in the summer.

Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2009

New section has inside hallway to protect from the strong wind. Room was basic. Bathroom had broken towel and paper holders but was large. No facial tissue. No sign about the boil order and not advised at check in. Drank the water until the next morning - locals told us it's been that way for years and not to worry - and we did not become ill.

I didn't do the research on the area for the rooms in East Glacier, but am familiar with Montana, which can be pricey during the "season". This this motel doesn't stand out, so I'm not sure if there is worse. I would look for something else next time.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank maypl
Long Island, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

The room was spacious. No frills. There was a bar of soap & a curler under the dresser, a pack of cigarettes in draw, and a grilled chicken in the refrig. There was a dog barking all evening behind the motel. You had to boil the water because of the sediment in the water - it was posted on the wall by the Board of Health. We stayed two days @ $100 per day - personally, considering it was off season, it wasn't worth half of the price. They had wi fi but you had to pay for it. I would never stay there again!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
0.7 km away
Travelers Rest Lodge
Travelers Rest Lodge
#1 of 10 in East Glacier Park

Been to Circle R Motel? Share your experiences!