All reviews coffee maker burner stove in town scott street stay there again kitchen utensils extra twin bed small refrigerator air conditioner cable tv gas station room was clean quiet at night labor day weekend sized bed roosevelt arch yellowstone park
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I love Hillcrest Cottages! The first time I stayed here was about 25 years ago with my then very young son, Shawn. I have such happy memories of staying here.

I am happy to say they have kept Hillcrest Cottages very clean and very well maintained throughout the years.

If you want an affordable, safe and clean place to stay without all of the unnecessary frills, this is the place for you.

We are going to Yellowstone Park next week and I hope that we are able to stay in Hillcrest Cottages again.

I wish I could afford to live here, it just feels like "Home" to me....

Thank you for all of the very happy stays!

Tara Lee Bertucci
Reno, NV (Formerly of Billings, MT)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank NVSheltieLover
Reviewed July 13, 2008

This place had a good review here so we booked it. Very nice, clean and friendly service. needed extra towels and had it, no problem. There was a stove, couldn't find pots. Also a fridge.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Stepjarsteve
Reviewed July 4, 2007

I booked HC after I discovered that all lodgings in Yellowstone must be booked at least 6 months ahead of time. It was early April and our trip to Yellowstone was planned at the end of June. Once I decided on Gardiner, MT as the next best location, I eventually settled on Hillcrest Cottages because they had housekeeping facilities. We stayed there 4 nights - 6/22/07 to 6/26/07. Our cottage had 2 areas - the main room had 2 double beds and the smaller housekeeping area had a single bed plus a mini kitchen which included a 2 burner range, a small refrigerator, a sink, some counter and cabinet space, a toaster, and a coffee maker. The management loaned us a cooking pot and some utensils and we were set. Being able to prepare our own breakfasts enabled us to save a great deal of time and get an early start, a crucial prerequisite if you want to enjoy sightseeing in Yellowstone without the crowds. The cottage also had a TV, although we found it rather complicated to operate and were therefore limited in what we could watch. The worst thing about the lodgings was the extremely small shower, which felt like a straight jacket. The shower stall was so small and narrow that I refrained from washing my hair because there wasn't enough room for this activity. As it was, I was unable to step away from the stream of water while washing, I had to actually turn the water off while I was soaping myself. This was the most unpleasant aspect of staying here. Otherwise, the cottages are modest but completely adequate. You can prepare your own breakfasts (and other meals if you are so inclined) and this will save you both time and money. Time can be of a premium so we definitely appreciated this. You are 5 miles from the Mammoth Hot Springs and can easily access the most popular sites in the park. If you get an early start (we got up at 5 am and left around 6 am) you can easily drive to Old Faithful in about 2 hours. Most other places are closer. If you don't like crowds this is the way to do it. Gardiner also has good places to eat - we ate twice in the Town Cafe and once in the Yellowstone Mining Company. Both were fine and reasonably priced (though not fancy). There are also other places, so staying in HC in Gardiner worked for us really well.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tina380
Reviewed July 29, 2005

This was a very small room, with a comfortable bed. busy town of Gardiner outside of the Yellowstone Park entrance. fairly high priced, in fact the most I spent for a hotel room on my entire trip. but then, this is the touristy town that all the rooms are pricey. the room was clean, heavy chemical smell when I first went in. and very hot inside so I turned on the air cond before going out for the evening, to cool it down and dispell some of the smell.

had a microwave and small fridge. didn't use either. coffeemaker but no coffee supplies. tried to make some coffee, but didn't work well. didn't drink it.

very basic room. hard to manuever as it was small. eh, it was a place to lay my head.

the downside. late at night, returning from the park, office was closed. when I took off my shoes I found the floor to be soaking wet. had to put down most of my towel supply to use as rugs. it was drier in the morning, but left so early office still not open, had to leave note. maybe their air cond or fridge leaks?

I'd probably stay elsewhere and pay a little more or stay further outside the Yellowstone area and not pay the tourist prices.

best thing about this hotel was its friendly staff. I was tired of the rude folks in Montana treating me badly cause I was a tourist. including the convenience store and the small restaurant in this same town. if you want the tourist dollars, but don't want to deal with them, then don't work here. I wasn't rude to them.

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled on business
7  Thank flwrgrdn
Reviewed April 28, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Hillcrest Cottages in September 2004. We came to the north entrance of Yellowstone without reservations. The guest service agent the the Mammouth hotel, which was sold out offered us a list of hotels in Gardiner. We called Hillcrest because they adverstied small cottages or cabins with private bath. I have to admit we went without high expectations, the hotel was only$45.00 for the night! but we though it would be better than camping.

We were pleasently surprised. We got a small cottage with one queen bed, it has a small kitchenette and a very clean bathroom. They also had cable TV so you can catch up on weather and news. Overal the cottage was very clean and well kept, all the units had flower boxes and looked well cared for. We would certainly stay here again.

The young man at the main desk suggested the Park Street Grill which was also excellent. they offer pasta dishes if you alrady tired of burgers and bison. It was also very good and reasonable

11  Thank e0103