“Good value close to Yellowstone”
Review of Hillcrest Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gardiner
Hillcrest Cottages
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Gardiner
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Nice hotel with good sized rooms near Yellowstone's northern entrance. Gardiner was a cool little Montana town and made the experience fun.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 July 2009

We stayed here 3 nights. It was quiet, close to the park, and a good value. Much nicer on all fronts than the madness of West Yellowstone. Refrigerator, table, microwave and sink, queen bed in unit #9. Liked the hand painted walls - nice touch. The cabin was tiny however, once we opened the suitcases and spread out. We only encountered the owner one time when we checked in. They had some funny postcards in the office that we liked, but it was always closed and locked. Food options in town are limited if you do not eat dinner early. We ran into a fair amount of latent hostility from locals who were clearly not happy with the never ending influx of tourists. This led us to plan meals elsewhere, prepare our meals in the room, and limit our time in Gardiner to sleeping.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2009

My husband and I spent 7 days hiking in Yellowstone and found the location great. We stayed in cottage #10 - 1 queen bed with kitchenette, small table, two burner cook top, microwave, coffee pot, toaster. Full bathroom. The cottages are not huge, but meet our needs. My only complaint would be that there were no pots/pans with the kitchenette and we were expecting there to be some. We had bought groceries ahead of time thinking we could cook basic meals and ended up having to throw away some things that we could not cook. We will stay here again, just plan different meals as taking pots/pans with us is not doable.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scoutmom
Reviewed 25 November 2008

I visited Yellowstone off-season and the only in-park lodging still open was $200/nite (ouch!), so I continued driving north to Gardiner and was lucky to find the Hillcrest Cottages. Friendly owners and clean, quiet cabins that are just a five minute walk from the restaurants, saloons, and laundromats downtown. Gardiner is a great little town and an ideal base for exploring Yellowstone!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank chicago_traveller1
Reviewed 1 October 2008

I love Hillcrest Cottages! The first time I stayed here was about 25 years ago with my then very young son, Shawn. I have such happy memories of staying here.

I am happy to say they have kept Hillcrest Cottages very clean and very well maintained throughout the years.

If you want an affordable, safe and clean place to stay without all of the unnecessary frills, this is the place for you.

We are going to Yellowstone Park next week and I hope that we are able to stay in Hillcrest Cottages again.

I wish I could afford to live here, it just feels like "Home" to me....

Thank you for all of the very happy stays!

Tara Lee Bertucci
Reno, NV (Formerly of Billings, MT)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank NVSheltieLover
Reviewed 13 July 2008

This place had a good review here so we booked it. Very nice, clean and friendly service. needed extra towels and had it, no problem. There was a stove, couldn't find pots. Also a fridge.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Stepjarsteve
Reviewed 4 July 2007

I booked HC after I discovered that all lodgings in Yellowstone must be booked at least 6 months ahead of time. It was early April and our trip to Yellowstone was planned at the end of June. Once I decided on Gardiner, MT as the next best location, I eventually settled on Hillcrest Cottages because they had housekeeping facilities. We stayed there 4 nights - 6/22/07 to 6/26/07. Our cottage had 2 areas - the main room had 2 double beds and the smaller housekeeping area had a single bed plus a mini kitchen which included a 2 burner range, a small refrigerator, a sink, some counter and cabinet space, a toaster, and a coffee maker. The management loaned us a cooking pot and some utensils and we were set. Being able to prepare our own breakfasts enabled us to save a great deal of time and get an early start, a crucial prerequisite if you want to enjoy sightseeing in Yellowstone without the crowds. The cottage also had a TV, although we found it rather complicated to operate and were therefore limited in what we could watch. The worst thing about the lodgings was the extremely small shower, which felt like a straight jacket. The shower stall was so small and narrow that I refrained from washing my hair because there wasn't enough room for this activity. As it was, I was unable to step away from the stream of water while washing, I had to actually turn the water off while I was soaping myself. This was the most unpleasant aspect of staying here. Otherwise, the cottages are modest but completely adequate. You can prepare your own breakfasts (and other meals if you are so inclined) and this will save you both time and money. Time can be of a premium so we definitely appreciated this. You are 5 miles from the Mammoth Hot Springs and can easily access the most popular sites in the park. If you get an early start (we got up at 5 am and left around 6 am) you can easily drive to Old Faithful in about 2 hours. Most other places are closer. If you don't like crowds this is the way to do it. Gardiner also has good places to eat - we ate twice in the Town Cafe and once in the Yellowstone Mining Company. Both were fine and reasonably priced (though not fancy). There are also other places, so staying in HC in Gardiner worked for us really well.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tina380
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Rodeway Inn and Suites
Rodeway Inn and Suites
#2 of 8 in Gardiner
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
6.4 km away
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
0.4 km away
Super 8 Gardiner/Yellowstone Park Area
0.2 km away
Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge

Been to Hillcrest Cottages? Share your experiences!