All reviews hidden lake off grid solar power national wildlife refuge nearby lake surrounding mountains west yellowstone horseback riding fly fishing family reunion trout jake laurel generator hosts wedding miles
Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

Our family has been going to elk lake for many years each summer. Although the kids are no longer young, they still want to go back to elk lake. It is a wonderful get away from the world. Tv, Cell phones and I pads are forgotten and nature, conversation and fun are remembered.
The owners are amazing, the food wonderful and the memories priceless.

Trip type: Travelled with family
ElkLakeResort, Owner at Elk Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2018

Thank you very much, Terry! We are probably as close to heaven as we will ever be, as well. We'll see you next time.

Reviewed February 4, 2018

We had 20 hungry snowmobilers and were told Elk Lake Resort had great food and shouldn't be missed. My source was right on. Jake and Laura are incredible hosts at this remote Montana mountain location. Half of our group dined on outstanding cheeseburgers and the other half on Laurel's homemade spaghetti with several trying her straight out of the oven blueberry pie a la mode! Everything was fresh, well seasoned and perfectly proportioned for our hungry appetites. Their lodge and dining room is set up with views of the incredible surrounding mountains and nearby lake. The whole package is a 10+ and shouldn't be missed. Jake even had fuel for our hungry sleds....this place is full service all the way around. All in our party will be looking forward to a return trip next year! Unfortunately I don't have many pics of the outstanding food we were served, but, I have attached pics of the resort in winter! Elk Lake Resort is only accessible by snowmobile at this time of year....would love to see it without the white stuff!

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
ElkLakeResort, Owner at Elk Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2018

Hi! Thank you for this kind review AND for the personal phone call thanking us. Your group was a lot of fun and I am glad we didn't disappoint. When you come out next year, just give a call a couple days ahead and let me know what kind of dessert to make you!

Reviewed September 21, 2017

This resort is a real find. Tucked back in the Montana wilds you'll find a secluded, comfortable, clean, rustic gem. The owners, Jake & Laurel, are fabulous hosts & Laurel's meals are amazing. Plus she makes an incredible Bloody Mary. You won't have access to wifi, but you won't miss it. Also, I'd recommend AWD/4WD since you'll be traveling back in quite a distance on unpaved roads. Lots of wildlife.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ElkLakeResort, Owner at Elk Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2017

Thank you, Laura! We appreciate your kind words. I'll make you a bloody Mary any time you'd like. :-)

Reviewed July 30, 2017 via mobile

Absolutely a wonderful week with outstanding hosts. Jake and Laurel provided us a week long full pension (see the package options) that included a wide variety of home made, wonderfully prepared, and tasty food. We met several interesting people from all around the country and all agreed that Elk Lake is special. If you like margaritas be sure to ask for Laurel's special. It was terrific!

Both Jake and Laurel strive to make your stay memorable and special. The deserts are great, but when I asked Laurel is she made pies she asked my wife what kind I liked. The were low on apples, but on the next resupply in came the apples and a delicious apple pie was on that evening's menu. My wife's likes a high end gin, but Jake had it and even restocked it to be sure his guest would be coveted. Mind you, the lodge is miles and miles from the nearest supply of anything.

Fishing is a major draw for the lodge and Elk Lake has two fishable segments, upper and lower, and for those with an all wheel drive you can go on to Hidden Lake and it's very primitive, but infrequently fished waters. You can also fish Red Rock Creek which meanders through the valley a couple of miles below the lodge. Our package included an all day float down the Madison River, one of Montana's 'holy grail' of fly fishing trout streams. The float was coordinated by Bob Jacklin's Outfitters, famous in the area and nation wide due to Bob's many many years in West Yellowstone. Our guide, Mark, has been working with Bob for 29 years and the float was a lesson in experience and professionalism. One of the guests, a family from Arizona, had a three year boy who caught a very very nice rainbow trout on power bait using a nearly toy rod and real at Hidden Lake and he had the pictures to prove it.

Now a word about the lodging. The cabins are a tad austere, but the mattresses are new, the linens top drawer, and each is thoroughly cleaned. All have a private restroom and shower, but the remainder of the cabin is bedroom and a small sitting area. We were quite comfortable. The lodge uses solar power supplemented by a generator and the cabin electrical system can handle a hair dryer, but there are limited outlets. There is really no need to drag along a lot appliances or entertainment systems. Get out and enough the countryside or hang out in the lodge. We did bring our own board games, so I do not know what was available.

Be sure to go outside at night if you have never seen the stars with no nearby light pollution or city smog to obscure your view. You will get to see the night sky like you have likely never seen it before. I could go on and on, but you have the picture. This place is a treasure and it is run by people who truly want you to have a good time and enjoy yourself. Make your reservation early as the reputation of this place continues to grow.

Trip type: Travelled with family
ElkLakeResort, Owner at Elk Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2017

Hi Jim,

That was a very thorough and greatly informative review and I'm sure future guests will appreciate your observations. We really did miss your presence...especially the front-porch-sitting...when you left and we hope you come back soon! Thank you for your kind words; I'll get that t-shirt in the mail to you next time Jake goes to town!

Reviewed July 28, 2017

My husband and I found the Elk Lake Resort hands-down the most peaceful and restorative place we stayed on our four-month, five-state Great Divide Mountain Bike adventure from Mexico to Canada. It's well worth the five-mile drive to enjoy the stunning beauty of the lake and surroundings. Although it's off-grid (solar and a generator), it's very comfortable, including beautifully decorated cabins, electric lights, comfy bed and quilts, and an outstanding restaurant/bar with excellent menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The hosts, Jake and Laurel, are extremely gracious, and have created a refuge that combines warmth and country elegance. Highly, highly recommended.

Room tip: Each of the cabins is beautifully situated, with different qualities to meet the needs of different types of travelers.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi Gail,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review in amongst the adventures of your journey. I took a look at your website/blog and enjoyed reading about your trip so far and will continue to follow. AND I intend to get your book; your writing style is great! We hope you will come see us again.