“Just Passing Through”
Review of Thunderbird Motel

Thunderbird Motel
Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in Missoula
Reviewed 22 July 2017

Well, The Jackalope out front of this place was the best part of this quick overnight trip on our way out west. We stayed here because of the reviews on TripAdvisor and the price. So what's the bar I set for a place I'm just sleeping at and leaving early the next day? Well I ask myself, would I stay here again. And I'm sorry but the answer for this place? No way! First clue that this place wasn't up to snuff? A simple key'd hotel room lock. So safety is a concern. The mattresses were awful and you could feel plastic covering of the mattress through the thin bedding. When you go to lay down it sounds as if you are sleeping on grocery bags. The air conditioner unit was very loud. I showered before we got on the road again the next day and the shower curtain had mold on it and was ripped on the bottom. My time travel trip back to the 70's was done! For the $125 a night price at least put some new carpet down and upgrade your door locks! Oh, and replace your shower liners too! The picture I got of my daughter on the Jackalope though was priceless!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 December 2016 via mobile

Me & my love LOVE THIS WARM POOL & HOT HOT TUB!!!!! Details matter! Yes, it's maintained with a professional quality. Hate cold pools & murky cold "hot tubs". That's why we ALWAYS STAY AT THE THUNDERBIRD!!! Some like it hot!!!!!!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 22 March 2017

We are happy to know you enjoy our pool and hot tub!! We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 10 December 2016 via mobile

Hi this is Errick. The suites at the Thunderbird are nice and big cozy rooms. And the safe is amazing. If u need to relax this is you place. I have visited here a few times and always have a good experience.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Errick G

Hello Errick,

Thank you for your kind words! We appreciate our customer feedback.

Reviewed 1 December 2016 via mobile

So the owner is amazing just an absolute sweetheart everybody else who works here are absolutely amazing except for the housekeeper Nancy. She told me while I was staying here have paid for a room that if some friends of ours who were visiting that they had to leave or we would be kicked out. And this was at nine o'clock in the morning. So other than that, my visit was amazing.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hilery M
Management response:Responded 22 March 2017

I apologize for Nancy's actions. I am glad to hear your stay was AMAZING! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 8 November 2016

My friends and I were coming to town for a concert at the Wilma. Most of us travel for our jobs and really get tired of the Corporate Hotels and feeling like a number when there are 200 guest rooms. Upon arrival I was a little apprehensive, I am just not used to staying in older Hotels, let alone a Motel. The Front Desk check in was easy. Michelle was a pleasant young woman (possibly an owner) who checked us in without problem. Here is where experience depends upon your expectations. There are really two different buildings. The original building was built in 1936. The owners 2nd floor residence was removed and 6 newer, oversized and updated rooms were added. Two of these rooms have nearly new, white Jacuzzi brand hot tubs that seat 3 to 4 people. WOW! There is not comparison. When I want the "Old West" Feeling and a more affordable room I know what building to stay in. If I am celebrating an Anniversary, Bday or friends night out, the Thunderbird has is. Step back in time, clean, nearest hotel to U of M, bars, restaurants and Albertsons. Owner Thelma Baker will see us again!

Room Tip: I like having options! "The newer rooms have city views or mountain views."
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Matthew H
Reviewed 7 September 2016

I love this place, we stay there often. I love how you are left alone. The parking isn't the best but that really doesn't matter. I love the hot tub rooms. The privacy here is priceless. They make you feel special. However don't expect them to answer their phone they are bad that way.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jennifer F
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

We had a room with a nice mountain view for under $100.
Hotels here seem very expensive. This one was clean, friendly, and maintained pretty well. A couple of cosmetic scratch and dents, but clean and nice.
It appears to be a family run operation. The woman running the desk made reference to her son doing a good job maintaining the pool, and indeed he does. Pool area had a nice hot tub, and a patio with a river view.
I would defiantly stay again. Great budget option.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family