“Service has gone way downhill”

Howard Johnson Missoula MT
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Service has gone way downhill”
Reviewed 24 December 2010

I've been staying at the Southgate Inn in Missoula Montana twice a year for the past ten years. I used to love staying there but can't recommend it and won't ever go back.

First of all their free wireless did not work which I have never had a problem with before or at any other motel I've stayed in.

But that is minor compared to the fact that they did not offer ice. Their ice machines were taken out of commission and there was nothing said about this as I checked in. Ridiculous. The counter monkey was totally uninterested in this situation. I don't expect the Ritz but the utter lack of this expected amenity is not something I will patornize in the future. And the fact they didn't warn me of this situation, (I wouldn't have checked in and would have went elsewhere) smacks of a customer rip off.

And the last straw was the fact that my room did not have cold water in the taps. So the shower was scalding. Are you kidding me? I've never heard of a hotel room that only offered hot water in the sink and shower.

$45 a night I expect more. And the poor service and lack of interest in my complaints has lost me as a future customer. I can not recommend this motel and when I go back to Missoula for future visits I will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank torrisabukir
HoJo123, General Manager at Howard Johnson Missoula MT, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
No one deserves bad service and to let you know the hotel has changed owners and new management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
missoula
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I was looking for place to stay and i looked at the reviews for this hotel and seen they all were from years ago. So i stayed there and come to find out that what people had said about this place is not true at all. my room was very clean and i sleep like a rock . the parking lot was clean and queit all night long . the staff was great . I really enjoyed my stay and will be returning tothis hotel in october. there was no shopping carts and ther as no used soap in the tub. I also found out that the hotel has changed ownership last month so there are alot of changes going on. i would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family. thank you southgate inn staff for the wonderful stay

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank motherof2Missoula
yes we have been making changes and our still in the process of making more. Our staff always try's to make everyone stay the most important one. We want our guest to return to us when they come by this way
midwest
Reviewed 8 July 2009

My cousin and I decided to take a road trip to Washington. We decided to wing it on hotels since we didn't know when we would get tired and want to stop. We saw a coupon for this and decided to stop. First of all its away from most of the other hotels in the area. They had some unique looking people staying but we figured oh well. So we check in and get to our room and it was kindof gross inside. The door did not lock well but as it was late at night we were to tired to leave and go to a new place. So we barricaded ourselves in so we could sleep. All night long we heard grocery carts moving around the parking lot. We both got less than 2 hours of sleep got up by 5 and decided to shower and go. My cousin got in the shower and their was a USED BAR OF SOAP on the floor!! Talk about gross!!! If you want to pay 50 bucks to not sleep stay here!! Or shower with used soap....

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
We have implemented new changes with housekeeping and we don't treat the hotel as an apartment complex. We have renovated the bathrooms and are in the process of changing carpet. We have a pool, hot tub, sauna and exercise room available with this hotel. Our wifi is good and people seem to enjoy our breakfast.

Travellers are raving about these Missoula hotels

Helena MT
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I stay in Missoula twice a month or more. I typically use a name-your-own-price website and get very nice digs in the $60 range. When that failed me on my last trip, I looked for the cheapest 2-star motel around. 2 stars??? Yes, because it has wireless internet, a pool, an exercise room, a hot tub, a sauna etc etc. Unfortunately, it is also where the local housing authorities send homeless families, and where the chronically transient seem to land. It is rundown and dirty, the light bulbs are all 40 watts, and although the rooms are labelled non-smoking, the odor of stale cigarettes is enough to gag you. Children run up and down the outside corridors, doors slam, engines rev, etc. It was a bit disquieting that you have to sign a waiver that you will accept damage to your property. On the other hand, I have stayed in much seedier places in Paris for much more money and thought I was getting a deal. Just be forewarned that this is not in the league of the chain hotels with 2-stars.

• Liked — Last minute booking was $42
  • Disliked — The stale cigarette smell
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Spatialgirl
This has changed quite a bit since your last stay with us. This hotel has went through new ownership and changes have been made. We are under new management too.
Renton WA
Reviewed 26 August 2007

I did not have a reservation in Missoula on the last Saturday in August, which was probably a mistake, but I wasn't sure how far west I'd be on I-90 when I ran out of steam. At 9:00pm, most of the places were full, and Southgate Inn was the only place I could find open. While grateful for a place to stay, I have to say, I was disappointed in the room, and in the attitude of the staff behind the desk. The room itself was ok, a large double bed room. But I ran into these problems:
- I walked into the office, inquired about rooms and rates, and left when I thought the rate was a little high. After driving around a bit and finding nothing else, I went back about 15 min later, and was quickly followed in the door by 3 other groups. The woman behind the counter was alone, stressed, and a bit thin-lipped at my request for one of the rooms she mentioned earlier. But I got it, albeit without a smile or any eye contact.
- TV had no remote control in the room, and office had none to spare.
- In looking around for a remote, I found clothing from a previous tenant in the dresser, and one of the drawers broken.
- Only tepid water available for a shower in the morning -- early on Sunday morning. The water ran for easily 2 minutes before it got barely warm enough to shower, and never got comfortably hot.
On the plus side, it was fairly quiet being far from the freeway, and little noise from other tenants.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
All I can say things have changed quite a bit since your last stay. Our staff have been here for a good time and new housekeeping procedures have been set in place
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2006

We stayed at the Southgate because we were looking for a budget motel. We did get a reasonable rate ($55 plus tax) and found the front desk staff to be very friendly and extremely helpful.

Our room was quite comfortable and was reasonably clean. There was a mini fridge in the room. My only complaint was that the carpets and chairs in the room were just filthy. They are in absolutely desperate need of a good steam cleaning! It was a real shame, too, since everything else about the room was in my opinion better than you would expect from a "budget" motel. The bathroom, furniture, walls and bedding were all very clean, it was just the carpet and upholstery that needed to be cleaned.

Our bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet.

The hotel has a small outdoor pool, a hot tub and an exercise room which contained a stair climber, an exercise bike and a weight machine.

A continental breakfast is included in the rate. The breakfast consisted of hot and cold cereals, toast & jams, english muffins, bagels, french toast, belgian waffles, fresh fruit, fruit juices, milk, coffee and teas.

All in all, I got more than I paid for from this hotel. I would stay here again, but only if the carpets had been cleaned.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank Camping_Girl
I would like to take this time to thank you for your review. Policy has been put in place to shampoo carpets at least twice a year. New carpet has been ordered and will be put in the rooms soon.