“There is a reason this place is #1”

Frontier Bar and Supper Club
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Shelby
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

Wow! One night in Shelby and we went here for dinner. Kitchen opens at 5 and we got there at 4. Played some pool and chatted with Dana, the bartender. She gave us lots of tips for our time in Montana and we shared some stories together. When it came time for dinner, we followed the lead of other “regulars” coming in and got the prime rib. We split it and I’m so glad we did because it was a ton of food, but let me tell you - the prime rib is melt in your mouth delicious. We got it with the shrimp scampi and it came with a salad with huckleberry vinaigrette. Incredible meal and not what I was expecting when we made the decision to stay in Shelby. If I could take the whole restaurant home to Maryland with me, I would. Dana was so helpful and friendly. Amazing service and conversation.

1  Thank Erin D

Reviewed September 30, 2017

We were staying in Shelby for 1 night; tried to hit the best reviewed pizza shop in town, but it was closed (Should have been open as per advertised hours..on a Fri night; really?). Headed to the Frontier Bar and Supper Club. On the roadside, certainly unassuming from the outside. Warmly welcomed by the bartender who was friendly and chatty throughout our visit. We had to change tables, as it was wobbly...older building, think the room was off kilter overall. Hubby ordered the steak with mushrooms and I had the prime rib. The meals come with bread, salad, potato and the veg of the day..corn. The service was fine (although that bartender was in and out of the dining room and she was more personable than our waiter!). The portions were large...big pieces of meat for sure! Hubby's steak was good with tons of fresh mushrooms. He did say that it could use some seasoning and was well enhanced by the mushrooms. My prime rib was terrific!!! The salads were small, and served with a baby corn and a mini cuke only...needed a little more on it. The dressings were homemade and excellent! The baked potato was hot and delicious. The bread was good, but their "butter" was not real butter and had an odd/artificial taste. Overall, a pretty nice little place with friendly people and a good meal. The meal with a few alcoholic drinks and tip was around 80.00.

Reviewed September 15, 2017 via mobile

Growing up in the area this was always a treat to go to. Coming back after living away for a couple of years I was skeptical it would be the same. But it was still delicious and fun

2  Thank CGianarelli
Reviewed August 11, 2017

I won't fault them for the slow service, because it was Friday night and they had a big party. But the salad that came with dinner was nothing but lettuce, and the mahi mahi special was salty and dried out / overcooked. My husband's NY steak was done medium rare even though he ordered rare. The potatoes and corn were good. Overall it was pretty average.

Reviewed July 19, 2017 via mobile

Wanting something other than a fast food offering near Shelby, MT, we headed out to Frontier Supper Club. It is located about 10 miles east of Shelby. The sign and building will probably make you doubt whether it is even in operation any longer. Don't be deterred. Inside is a hidden gem that will pleasantly surprise you.

My wife ordered the salmon. It came with rice, pickled red cabbage, vegetable of the day, and salad with homemade French dressing. She raved about the French dressing and the pickled red cabbage. The salmon was a bit on the dry side, but she quickly decided that the French dressing made a suitable sauce for the salmon.

I had the walleye. It came with two large pan fried fillets that were flakey and moist. It came with baked potato, corn (the vegetable of the day), and a cup of the soup of the day which was beef noodle. Everything was fantastic. Both meals were large servings of all components.

The prices are a little steep, but the quality and quantity make it worth the few dollars more. Our waitress, a young lady, was exceptional as well and added to our enjoyment of the meal.