“Not up to Best Western Standards”

Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Whitefish
Kelowna, Canada
“Not up to Best Western Standards”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

My husband and I showed up on a road trip with no reservations. The front desk clerk was most accommodating and we were given a King room at the same price as listed on the internet.

We had room 211 which overlooked the parking lot and beside the highway. It was noisy with traffic during the night. The room looked like there was furniture missing as it only had the king bed and a small table. The bed was 'well used'. My husbands 'side' of the bed was really saggy but my side was hard as a rock....oh look.....his side is the one the overlooks the TV (hence the 'well used' description)

Breakfast in the morning was good. But if you weren't paying attention, it's hard to find 2 of the 4 tables with items on them. Yes, the sign says "don't remove items from the breakfast room" but who cares. We loaded our plates and headed back to our room.

We'll try to find somewhere else if we ever head through Whitefish, Montana again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mrs. Richardson
whitefishreddog, General Manager at Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 9 December 2011
Thank you very much for your comments.
We will be making some very positive improvements in the rooms in the spring that will improve the enjoyment of each guest's stay. We have also added yogurt to our breakfast selection and have improved the location of the various breakfast items to make more sense in the traffic patterns and the "flow" of the breakfast.
I know it seems restrictive to ask guests to not take breakfast items to their rooms. The only reason we make that request is because so many times juice, milk and coffee are spilled along the way and it creates quite a mess. I apologize for the inconvenience.
I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future to give us another opportunity to serve you. I think you will really like the changes that will be made.
Regards,
Dennis Drumheller
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Originally we were scheduled to stay in The Annex.....bad move. Old and tired would be a good way to describe The Annex. We asked to be moved and "Big Tom" was most gracious and helpful. Our room there was spacious, a little worn and old but not too bad. Breakfast was nice with a lot of fresh fruit. We liked that touch as we were on the road for 6 weeks and fresh fruit was rarely on the hotel breakfast menus. We had some nice conversations with fellow travelers over breakfast there. We stayed for two nights and while it is a little way out of downtown Whitefish, it is just a short drive. I sure would not walk into town. Most of the restaurants are in downtown Whitefish and close pretty early so don't be late for dinner. Big Tom is a good person to ask for recommendations for dinner.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Check in was fine, noted another poster who said staff seemed to be in neutral, neither hostile nor welcoming, and I agree. That was the impression I got. We had room 219, which overlooked the parking lot and the roof. It was a nice room otherwise.

Food was okay, but as another poster noted, there is a sign saying not to take anything out of the breakfast room. This is fine ---- unless you look around and there's no place to sit. When we walked in, there was absolutely nothing available and we had every intention of sailing up to our room with our food, we weren't about to eat standing up. Fortunately a table opened up and we were fine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CeenIt
Newton, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed here on our way to Glacier Park. I picked this hotel over my other choices because it sounded nice and safe with name of Best Western ( I had never stayed at a Best Western). I had made these reservations a year in advance of our trip to Montana. We checked in and was given a room way in the back of the hotel. When we walked in, it just didn't look or feel right. The blinds were opened and the sun was beating in the window and there were too many empty spaces in the room like there was furniture missing and misplaced. It just didn't feel comfortable. So I went downstairs and asked for another room. The clerk started to tell me that they were booked and there wasn't another room. I explained that it was only 3pm and I booked this reservation a year ago, so I felt I should be able to change rooms and she could give that weird feeling room to the unfortunate sole that checks in last. We got a new room which was much better.
My biggest beef about this hotel was the breakfast. There is a very big sign on the food and coffee tables that reads: " Please do not remove any breakfast item from this room" Excuse me?? Are you kidding me?? That means do not get a cup of coffee and bring it back to your room while you are getting ready! Do not bring a pastry either! I was given some dirty looks from the desk person as I pranced past him carrying two coffees with me. Oh yes...no lids either! I did this twice as I am a two cup morning coffee drinker. For what ever reason...that sign really ticked me off and for that reason...I will never ever stay at another Best Western again....especiallly this one!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pookiefish
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I spent the first and last nights of a recent Glacier & Waterton Lakes hiking trip here as Whitefish was our gateway city and FCA was our gateway airport. They provide a free airport shuttle service, which was important to me as I had no car. They will also shuttle you to downtown Whitefish for shopping and restaurants and pick you up when you are done. If you do have a car, parking is free.

The hotel is located south of downtown on Highway 93. Directly across the street is a McDonald's and a small shopping center with a full-service grocery and also an outdoor clothing and equipment store. Within a few blocks are a Wendy's, Subway, and Pizza Hut, and very good Chinese at China Wall.

The hotel has rooms on 3 floors with elevator in the main building including numerous standard rooms, 3 deluxe rooms, 5 mini suites and 5 executive suites. The main building also includes an exercise room, a large meeting room and a large breakfast/lounge room. There are also a year round outdoor heated hot tub and pool. Coffee is available 24/7 in the lobby and there is also a computer with a fast Internet connection for guest use there.

The hotel also includes a freestanding annex building which contains around 10 or 12 rooms on 2 floors, no elevator. These room are less expensive than the main building and I found out why.

My first night was in an annex room. It was a ground floor unit and the "Hog Wash Station" was right outside my door. Luckily no one used it during my stay. But I could hear every step the people upstairs took, both in their room and on the wooden walkway and stairs outside. You can save some buck in these rooms, but be forewarned.

My last night was in a standard room in the main building. It was very quite and appeared much newer, but more expensive. You get what you pay for here.

All of the rooms are nonsmoking but the hotel is pet friendly. See their web site for a complete description of the various rooms and amenities.

The complimentary cold and hot breakfast is typical and adequate, but nothing to crow about.

Regarding the shuttle service, the hotel went out of their way to get my incoming flight information and told me to expect someone in the baggage area with a sign with my name on it. Not only was no one there, but when I called some 45 minutes after my flight arrived the front desk expressed surprise that no one was there and had to call the driver.

And when I checked in I made an appointment for a shuttle the next morning to be taken to our group meeting point. I was waiting out side for it at my appointed time but it showed up 15 minutes late.

As a result of these experiences, on my second stay I changed my airport return appointment to 15 minutes earlier than originally set. And guess what, it was late also, but this time only by a few minutes.

Lesson learned - when booking the shuttle, set your appointment at least 15 minutes, or more, before you really need it.

The hotel staff I interacted with (front desk and shuttle drivers) was neither hostile or friendly, but in that unenthusiastic neutral zone that seems to just barely tolerate out of towners visiting their city and the nearby national parks. For example, when I checked in for my second stay just 7 days after my first, no acknowledgement such as "Welcome back" was given. A pity as it was an opportunity missed.

All in all I was satisfied with my main building stay, less so with the annex stay, and recommend this Best Western for a short or longer stay; although, both staff and management need to read Moments of Truth.

Room Tip: For the best and quietest rooms do not stay in the annex building
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank AustinWhitewater
Los Angeles
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Maybe it's been awhile since I've stayed in a Best Western, or maybe I've stayed in too many budget hostels, but I thought that it was really nice. Far better than I was expecting. The rooms weren't cheap, but it was high season, and they were very spacious, very clean, and tastefully decorated. Nice toiletries are provided. We had two 2nd-floor rooms in the annex, one on the end with a patio next to it, and one more in the middle. I stayed in the room on the end, and heard no other room noise at all. My uncle stayed in a room closer to the middle, and could hear one of his neighbors stomping around. The only noise I heard was from the rain pouring onto the roof at night, which was unusually loud. I could park our car just behind the annex, and it's a short hop past the pool to the main lodge.

The front desk was friendly, the lobby was comfortable and great for sitting and reading. Pool and gym looked clean and inviting, though we used neither. Breakfast was fine, nothing to complain about. The kitchen does its best to keep up with the demand for sliced fruit, there are frozen egg patties that you can heat in the microwave, there is no meat, there are lots of breads and muffins and cereal, there is oatmeal for people wanting a healthy option, and both kids and adults really enjoy using the waffle makers. The seating area is bright and clean.

We stayed two nights and used the hotel as a base for driving through Glacier and Waterton Lakes. Downtown Whitefish is just down the street. I would have happily stayed for a third night if they had space, but we had to move to Kalispell. I definitely preferred staying in Whitefish over Kalispell, and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MintLemonade
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I'll guess they were short of staff because there were several things that needed to be corrected. The shower had a whistle, the facilities were not clean. The couch and the bed were not comfortable. This BW+ did not measure up to the quality of the three other BW+s I've stayed in this trip.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefish
0.8 km away
0.7 km away
Pine Lodge
Pine Lodge
#5 of 16 in Whitefish

Been to Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!