“Great place to go tubing or tanking!”
Review of Calamus Outfitters

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burwell
Calamus Outfitters
Reviewed 27 September 2016

Best value we found, River is on private land and all sand bottom so no sharp rocks to cut your feet. Went on the shorter 3 hour tube trip and enjoyed it so much. Water is clean and clear, tubes were in good shape. Beautiful time, helpful staff. Will definitely come here again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Calamus Outfitters

Reviewed 24 September 2016

I traveled here to do birding, and stayed in a nice, clean, affordable cabin on the Calamus Outfitters property (which is a very large ranch). The customer service was remarkable. Although it was off-season, the owner of the ranch arranged for an exceptional birding guide to take me birding. The guide was outstanding and tried very hard to track down my target bird. Also, the ranch is located in the plains, and it is very peaceful and beautiful there.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Andi55_13
Reviewed 31 July 2016

Spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday in the lodge with three other couples. The lodge was great, roomy, bathrooms for everyone and all the needed items in the kitchen. We spent good times sitting on the big covered front porch watching the clouds and sun and even some rain, talking with friends and the owners. I didn't realize that Nebraska countryside was so great. Rolling hills a lake and the river. Went tanking, which was great fun and to the rodeo in Burwell. Guys played bocce ball and we walked and checked out the area. Plenty to do but really great for just relaxing. Had a great time. And am going to encourage my family to make the trip.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimnileen
Reviewed 30 June 2016

I took my daughter and some friends tanking and we had a great experience from start to finish. The owners and staff were very friendly and welcoming. They provided us with many good tips to help our trip go well. They take you to the end point to leave your vehicle and then drive you to the launching site. All the equipment was included in the price. You can tank, canoe, tube and kayak. They have 2 and 5 hour trips. There were plenty of places on the trip to stop and swim and the scenery was beautiful.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank cindy68848
Reviewed 29 June 2016

We just arrived home after our family vacation here. I typically do not write reviews, but everything about Calamus Outfitters was so amazing that I just had to! Three families with children ranging in age from infancy to teens and one couple stayed comfortably in one of the large lodges. The open area in front of the lodge was a perfect place to play kickball, wiffle ball and frisbee. The kids loved the space to run and playl! We appreciated the excellent guest service, well stocked kitchen, linen service and the ease of private river access for our canoe trips. The property was pridefully maintained and the lodge was remarkably clean. Knowing that the primary use is for hunters, river goers and outdoor enthusiasts I was expecting it to be a bit grungy. I was very pleased with the cleanliness of the lodge. Everyone who we met was friendly and welcoming. We are already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank ksandman1029
Reviewed 20 April 2016

I’m an amateur photographer and have had the pleasure of spending time on the family owned Switzer Ranch during the Prairie Chicken and Sharp-tail Grouse mating season. Bruce and Sue Ann are gracious hosts, serve great food and are glad to talk about their operation and answer questions about it as are their children. The scenery is awesome and I highly recommend the ranch tour, Chicken and Grouse Lek Tours. Sarah hosted the ranch tour and is very knowledgeable about ranch operations, its history and habitat. The lodging is always clean! One of the Best experiences I’ve had photographing nature. This is a prime spot to visit for Eco-tourism. Come and experience the Nebraska Sandhills! The people I spoke to were from various parts of the U.S. and everyone totally enjoyed themselves, the birds, and the scenery. A MUST STOP FOR BIRDERS AND PHOTOGRAPHERS ALIKE! Be sure to come back during the summer and float down the Calamus River.

Room Tip: Wifi is available in the store and meals are included in the cost of lodging.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank richneedham
Reviewed 4 October 2015

If you are looking for the best way/chance to see Greater Prairie Chicken and Sharp-tailed Grouse, Calamus Outfitters is the way to go.

A fall birding trip - particularly for those species - is essentially the hardest time to find them. Most ranches and/or guides focus on spring and don't even offer guided tours or trips in fall. The Calamus Outfitters however, were able to offer a great birding tour of their ranch, fitting us in despite my last minute call to them to schedule a birding tour of the ranch. Extra effort was made to find both species!

Our guide for the day was really great, she was very knowledgeable on many topics, and I learned quite a bit and had fun as well. The family was really nice and I enjoyed meeting them too.

Room Tip: This is an ecotourism adventure, with rustic cabins nestled on the ranch with great sunrise views of...
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business

Been to Calamus Outfitters? Share your experiences!