“Priority Club Means Nothing Here”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Island
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Grand Island
Grand Island, Nebraska
“Priority Club Means Nothing Here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Over the years and after accuring almost two million points with priority club, I have alot of experience staying at Holiday Inn properties. I have never stayed at a property in which being a Priority Club member means little or nothing. Second time in a row I have made reservations at this location and requested an ealy arrival with a top floor room as I would be working nights and need a quite location. Arrived today and once again no early check in available or the possibility of a top floor room. I have to say that the majority of properties I have stayed at will actually pre-assign a room for cutomers with special requests similar to mine. This hotel obviously lacks in customer service training which is evident by the response received by the manager and front desk clerk. Luckly, there is a new Marriott next door. I'm not a menber of this chain but I must say I was greeted and received the response from the Marriott people that I usually receive from Holiday Inn properties. In the future, I will be staying here. I will not waste my time with the Grand Island Holiday Inn Express anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank TodaysReview

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

My nephew and I stayed here while traveling thru Nebraska from Colorado. It's a little ways down, off hwy 80, but it's worth getting off and going down the road to it. Plus there are stores, restaurants etc around it. It is fairly new, and still clean and fresh. We came in late with no reservation and was giving a great room. The price may be somewhat higher, especially on the weekends, but I slept good and had a great breakfast. This is a very nice place to stop.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank NancyKay
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

This is a good example of how to build an inexpensive hotel/motel well. Rooms are spacious and very clean, mine had a new flat screen TV, and the bedding was clean and comfortable (no more gross motel beadspreads that you know have never been washed). The bathroom was basic but nicely bult with a granite counter and shower surround. Overall, a nicer level of finish than what I expected. The staff was courteous and friendly. As with all of these places, they don't wear well, so finding the brand new ones is always a plus. I would definitely stay again if in the area and would recommend to other travelers.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Fremont, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed here to attend the NE State Fair. It's a brand new property so everything was in great shape. It is a good location and was easy to get to numerous places with alot of restaurants nearby. We used the pool/workout facilities both were nice. I'd stay here again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2010

Ok, I hate to gush about hotels -- especially ones that are supposed to be 'boring' or 'cookie-cutter'.

I am a Hilton Diamond member and I always stay at the Grand Island Hampton Inn on North Diers. That Hampton is old and tired. Not wanting to spend another night in that old Hampton, I booked the New HIE on a whim. I am SO glad I did.

This hotel is brand new. BRAND new. Everything smells new. The furnishings in the room are incredibly top notch (sorry, the only pictures I took were of the carpet, which was really cool) The room just feels like much higher priced hotel. What a welcome change from some of the really old hotels in central Nebraska.

The staff are amazingly nice. I have no elite status with Holiday Inn/Priority Club, but the do have a rewards membership number. The front desk woman gave me a large (full-size!) package of Milano cookies as a "Thank you" for being a general priority club member.

PRO- TIP: On Wednesdays there is a manager's reception with *Complimentary* wine and beer between 5-7pm.

So in summary: NEW, NEW, NEW! Very clean and contemporary. This hotel is on par with the nicest hotels in Omaha as far as I'm concerned. I am so glad I decided to stay here. I was treated much better as a general guest than a top-tier elite member at the Hampton Inn!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business