All reviews rooms face the sea swimming pool huge balcony facing the sea will visit again junior suite sound of the waves daily breakfast buffet nelayan restaurant malaysian cuisine popular beach quiet environment the hotel staff room for improvement pleasant stay private beach johor bahru
Reviewed April 4, 2018

The parking out front of this hotel is limited and the lobby is not very inviting. The check-in process was somewhat cumbersome but I think well meaning. Walking along the dingy external hallway wet with dripping AC units was off putting. By the time we got to the room I was wondering what we'd got ourselves into.

Our twin sea-facing room was on the 3rd of 5 levels, and right in the middle of one of two wings (#314). The room has an awkward foyer of sorts where the connecting door is, some closet space and the bathroom entrance. Surprisingly, the room itself is quite large and pleasant with wood floors, large patio door & windows with a terrific view to the swimming pool, beach and South China Sea. The furnishings are pleasant and adequate with even 2 comfortable chairs and a table. Otherwise there are the twin beds, night tables with reading lamps, desk with stool, luggage rack, wall mounted TV and mini-fridge. There are no ceiling lights, just 3 lamps and a desk light so is a bit dark. There is a kettle, water, coffee/tea supplies and 2 mugs but no glasses or spoon. The bathroom is medium/small in size but functional. It's not as clean as I would like. The large mirror was covered with water spots and tooth paste spray and the shower soap dish was dirty with old soap scum and some black bits. The bathroom maintenace is poor with large spots of mold on the ceiling and a missing fixture plug on the sink so there is an exposed hole. If we were staying longer than the one night I would have complained and asked for a room change. There were only 2 bath towels so I phoned house keeping to request a bath mat and 2 hand towels. A few minutes later a pleasant young woman delivered to the room a bath mat and one face cloth....not quite what I asked for but again good enough for the one night. The towels are pretty good quality, the bed linens are nice and the beds are hard. Each bed has 2 good pillows. The in-room AC and wifi both work very well.

We were provided with pool towel cards (exchange the card to get a towel, if you don't get the card back I guess you get charged) but the pool towel kiosk was empty and when I asked at reception I was told to get them from the restaurant like that was common knowledge... At the restaurant a pleasant young man gave me the towels and off we went to the beach. Quite a nice beach, pleasant for swimming. The pool was good in that it was large and had lots of showers but was too warm, too shallow and too many kids. The pool is open from 8am-8pm but annoyingly people were in it earlier and later.

From the room you can hear noise from the pool area, the external hallway, the TV in the room next door and people walking in the room above. While the dead of night was quiet, the evenings and mornings were noisy. This is a family place not a couples retreat.

The breakfast buffet was set up fairly well and was well staffed. The food selection was good - certainly something for everyone however the overall food quality was average in my opinion. The rate including breakfast wasn't too bad I guess being so close to Johor and Singapore but the quality of this resort is just average.

Room Tip: all rooms have sea facing views
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
TunamayaDesaruCoast, General Manager at Tunamaya Beach & Spa Resort - Desaru Coast, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2018

Dear Linda S

Greetings from Tunamaya Beach & Spa Resort!

Many thanks for providing us with a very well written constructive feedback which I take it that you have actually took the time to provide us with. It was indeed well covered.

We strive towards 100% Guest Satisfaction and your feedback is extremely important to us.
I was disappointed to read that on this occasion we did not entirely meet your expectations. With any wish or concern you could contact our front desk 24 hrs, day or night and we will do our best to make it right if it is for additional towels, cleanliness of our bathroom, and aircond issues. Please let us know this as soon as possible.

I would like apologize and assure you that we have followed up with the relevant managers to look into your case accordingly. I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you again and to show you that we can make it right, this time around.

Linda S, yes our rooms are all facing the sea and it provides an excellent view of the scenary. I'm glad you enjoyed the beds with our signature linen and also that you mentioned the furniture is adequate for the room.

We get many good comments of the pool too and also the breakfast, happy to note that you enjoyed it thoroughly.

Please do pay us a visit on your next holiday and I will be happy to meet your aquintance for a cuppa. You may reach me to make a booking anytime.

Warm personal regards

Reviewed February 24, 2018

Stayed for 2 night but not selected by me. The rooms were not so good. the first one had black mold which I even doubt the hotel Management had any clue on the damage that it can do. I demanded to be moved only to have the AC which needed cleaning as water was everywhere in the morning. There was no business center and I could not get any documents copied. I would not stay there again

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
TunamayaDesaruCoast, General Manager at Tunamaya Beach & Spa Resort - Desaru Coast, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2018

Dear Jerry D

Greetings from Desaru Tunamaya Beach & Spa Resort!

Many thanks for taking the time and sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

My sincere apologies that you did not have a good stay recently.

We have been addressing all isues mentioned by our guests and I am confident that this will be overcome accordingly.

Rest assured that your comments will be rectified in all areas.

Do pay us a visit once again and we will ensure your stay is pleasant and comfortable.

Reviewed February 18, 2018

Check in and Check out was very convenience.
The bell boy to house keeping staff was very courteous and helpful.
Breakfast was terrible without much varieties although it was during
peak holiday period. Rooms were simple and full of ants and not surprised
that the door key position and the latch were seen with sign of forced breakage.
Facilities were very basic although the price of stay is at high range.

Need many improvements if need convince guest to return.
Luckily the staff are excellent.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

Dear Maiden0422

Greetings from sunny Desaru Tunamaya Beach & Spa Resort!

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.com. We have been very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that you were entirely satisfied with the service provided especially towards our people. I have forwarded your appreciation to our team members as it is very rewarding to receive positive feedback.

But I was disappointed to hear that the breakfast and ants issues was a disturbance to you. I would like to apologize for any inconveniences and I want to inform you that my team is 24/7 at your disposal. We have now prepared proper training modules to tackle situation like what you encountered. Rest assured that all departments will be equipped with the correct way of handling situation that may arise immediately.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again. Please direct your bookings to my office and i will handle it personally.

Have a pleasant day!

Reviewed February 6, 2018

Just a week before this trip I had stayed for business trip at Amari Galle, Sri Lanka which was an amazing hotel. Returning home, I wanted to de-stress and spend quality time with my family. As such I booked into this hotel but became very distressed after reading some negative reviews listed here.
I checked into Tunamaya without much expectations but my experience for the weekend was beyond my expectations.

The view was awesome as all rooms face the sea and one can hear the waves hitting the shore very clearly even from the room. Rooms were very clean, tidy, cozy and comfortable. Staff were very welcoming and helpful. Special mention of the general manage and the manager who came by to say 'hi' and to check if all was fine. Nice little indoor play area for the kids which could benefit from better maintenance. The indoor area comes in handy when its raining and the kids cant go outside. The pool is clean and the indoor play area is also pleasant for the kids to enjoy.
The private beach is nice and quite though the undercurrent can be quite strong (but of course this is beyond the hotel's control).

One reservation that I had though was that I was not thrilled with the breakfast which had very limited choice.

Nevertheless, my overall experience was a very pleasant one exceeding my expectations. Hope to be returning soon to experience the same or even better service and environment.

Room Tip: all rooms are facing the sea but rooms on higher floor woudl have better view.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank acvergis
TunamayaDesaruCoast, General Manager at Tunamaya Beach & Spa Resort - Desaru Coast, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2018

Dear acvergis

Greetings from Tunamaya Beach & Spa Resort Desaru Coast!

5 stars, thank you for your wonderful review that encapsulates your exceptional stay with us. We are ecstatic to know that you found our services at par with your expectations and glad to know that our effort to provide our guests the best are recognized.

All our rooms are sea-facing and our team ensures every area is well taken care off. The team will be delighted to know their efforts to make all our guests happy is being mentioned.

acvergis, we are looking at ways to revamp the breakfast and I can assure you on your next visit we will have better variety which you will enjoy.

We look forward to your revisit. Once again, I'm glad your experienced exceeded your expectations, thats what we are here for.

Meanwhile, do stay updated and connected through our social media channels until your next stay! Till we meet again, take care and be well.

Reviewed February 6, 2018 via mobile

Nice restaurant concept with nice view. Price only RM1.90 per bowl. You may order as many as you can.Food also very tasty and delicious. Recommended to whoever like to eat. Who ever luke selfie you may take pictures with Forest /beach/old mini bus as background.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends

Dear regret2015

Greetings from Tunamaya Beach & Spa Resort, Desaru Coast!

Thank you for the 5 star review, we are glad you had a wonderful stay. And of course dining at Aroi Thai enjoying the excellent Thai dishes.

Do visit us again and I'm sure your experience will be worth while.

Till we meet again!