“Just average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Elko
Umina Beach, Australia
“Just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Stopped in here for a night several weeks ago. Stayed on the third floor which was non-smoking but our room still stunk of cigarette smoke as did the hallway. Everything else was ok though.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

To be sure, I have stayed in worse places. About the best thing I can say for this place is that the ladies at the desk were helpful when my key cards would not work and there seemed to be no bed bugs. I did know that it might not be a comfortable place when we first walked in and a man speaking to the ladies behind the counter said: " This place only has teenagers and old people. That's it. It's full of teens and old people..." and then he looks at us ".. and wierdos." To be fair, my husband has purple hair and I have tattoos, but I certainly felt uncomfortable. Wierdos maybe should not stay here. We accepted the smoking room because they did not have any non smoking rooms left with just one bed. I wish I hadn't. The room's walls smelled like they had been painted with the hack from a chronic smoker's lungs. I woke up with bright red circles around my eyes because they were so irritated from the smoke. I found used band-aids, lots of food crumbs and loose tobacco between the mattresses while doing my bed bug inspection. The mattress looked like it had been peed on at one corner. There were chunks ripped out of the carpet near the door and the toilet seat had a cigarette burn on it. Also, the curtain pully looked septic.The room chairs were also pretty filthy with grime. But I have never stayed in a smoking room before and maybe this is just how they are. I will certainly never accept a smoking room again, that is for sure.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anamorphosis

Travellers are raving about these Elko hotels

Klamath Falls, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We were looking forward to another night at the Comfort Inn with the pool and jacuzzi in our trip cross country. But they were booked. We reserved at the TravelLodge and after reading the reviews we knew what we needed--a good night's sleep without noise and no elevators since I am disabled.

We got a first floor room knowng there was no elevator (thank you trip advisor contributors) near the back entrance where we had parked our moving truck. As far the decor went, if you are a snooty person then you won't enjoy it. The curtains, pictures, rugs and the bedspreads looked like Helen Keller took care of the design. So what? The beds were very comfy, linens were soft, there was a fridge/micro and while the TV was old style they just haven't replaced them all with flat screens.

Elko is frequently sold out for the casino activity. But the TravelLodge is in a safe location very close to the police station and truckers parked nearby watching the area. I felt totally safe there and these folks were very nice. I prefer Comfort Inns and the jacuzzi pool to help with my disabilty but in a pinch, this place was just fine.

Room Tip: Non smokers or those with a heavy oad should stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Reno, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

OK I got this hotel as the blind purchase option on Travelocity for $34 a night in a very competitive market so you get what you pay for, right? I arrived early, I had to empty a bunch of stuff out of my car so I could take four of my friends daughters out for a hike. I was told no room until check in time at 3pm. That's not the problem, the problem is the manager, who was not dressed in a businesslike fashion, would not contact the maid and have her do a room for me next, she just said I had to wait like everyone else. As noted in other reviews, you get what you pay for, not very comfortable and I was put on the third floor with no elevator AFTER the manager knew I had to unload my car. I will not stay here again at any price, prefer the Stockmen's for a cheap night. Also to be fair I usually stay at Hilton, or in Elko at the Red Lion Inn. I tried to save some money so I suppose it's my fault for expecting any personal attention. Also, I have to agree that the east side "security" door is often left open by smokers, including the manager who sits out there and smokes and must be aware that door is often left propped open. Bottom line if you just need one of the cheapest options in town to get a nights sleep and leave, it's one thing. I would NOT stay here for more than one night and remember again there is no elevator.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor north side for quietest easily accessible room. BUT if you face the south side...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ElkoGM, General Manager at Elko NV Travelodge, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Dear Railfanning,

Thank you for your review, and for being our guest, if only for the night. Our hopes are that we meet and exceed your expectations. I can let you know we are working as best and as effective as we can.

The reason I may not have been in business attire is I am currently working on the exterior of the property removing landscaping, repairing water lines, adding lighting and assisting our hotel gardener's-Pricilla and Juan.

Please know I do not smoke. Even if I did, I would never presume to hang out the back door. Our property image is more important to us than that. Thus the reason I am working hard on the first impression our guests see.

I wish I could have rooms ready before 03:00PM, however our housekeeping staff also has to use those three floors of stairs, and asking them to jump around can cause alot of extra work to an already very dedicated employee who remains the backbone of our operation.

As you mentioned the price is great; with that comes a high demand for our clean, quiet and family oriented rooms. With a 100% occupancy on a daily basis, we do our best to provide as much as we can. I am sorry we did not have a room closer and sooner for you.

I hope the next time your in Elko you will stop by, and that when you arrive on the property you will notice the new landscaping, fresh flowers, trimmed green grass, up-lighting and clean and well marked parking areas. I hope that I am in one of my business suits sitting at my desk, and that we are able to provide you a room on the first floor first thing in the morning...our goal is to exceed your expecations....we are trying.

Thank you again for your understanding,

Oakland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

This hotel had the following cons: It is 3 stories and we were put on the 3rd story. There is no elevator so if you had a lot of luggage were elderly or handicapped, you would have a real problem. The room was very small. 2 beds and barely room for 3 suitcases. Also the bath was tiny and had a low curved shower rod that stuck out into the doorway. Anyone over 6 feet tall would hit their head on it when entering the dark room as the switch was inside. The hotel is old and needs updating The bed was hard and lumpy
Pluses were it was clean, quiet, the AC worked fine, the staff was great and breakfast was good. Fair value for the money. Paid 65 per night

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Dear Frank D,

Three floors, no elevator, we can't fix yet, however great news...

The shower rods are being moved higher, new drapes, bed spreads and pillows are being installed, and even more flat screen TV's...all new coffee makers are in place along with newer refrig/microwaves being added to all rooms. To help with lighting; 100Watt "New Green Lighting" bulbs have been ordered.

Our goal is to provide you with a clean, enjoyable stay at a great price, now if we could just get an elevator or a really busy bell person for those stairs...thank you for the kindness in your reply.

We hope to see you again soon,

Asotin, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

I travel extensively and while this hotel is not as bad as some it's definetly not a hotel that cares about the comfort of it's guests. The place reeks of cigarette smoke, the beds have the cheapest mattress on it possible and they are rock hard with high and low spots in them. Their is a recliner in the room which would be great except that it's so broken down and dirty I'm afraid to sit in it. The chair actually wobbles back and forth when you sit down on it.

If you are looking for a bare bones cheap room, which is what Priceline offered my company, well this is it! YUCK! OHHHH..........need to do laundry? You are directed to walk accross to the neighboring hotel and do it there!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dear TwistedToyLady,

Our goal is to meet your comfort needs and we are working toward that goal. Each day our property improves, like the new ice machine, exterior flowers and landscaping, or even the new pillows and pillow cases we have now in every room. All of these changes take time and money, but we remain dedicated to making the upgrades needed to insure a great stay.

I am sorry this was not the case, however please know we are removing the recliner and will replace each desk chair with the new metal ergonomic chairs which recline and make the room more modern and comfortable.

We hope you will consider us again in the future, or atleast stop by and see the upgrades we are making. Thank you for your comments and concerns.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

friendly service. good for the price. i would come back. it was a bargain. friendly service. good for the price. i would come back. it was a bargain.friendly service. good for the price. i would come back. it was a bargain.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family