“Worst hotel ever”
Review of El Rancho Motel

El Rancho Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ely
El Rancho Motel
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Ely
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I read the reviews of this motel on trip advisor and on the good recommendations I called ahead and booked a Queen room for Saturday night June 15, 2003. We got there about 8:15pm and checked in. Even though I had reserved a room at the El Rancho the lady told us that they were all booked up. She said that they also owned the Desert Motel across the street and only had 1 room available over there. Well let me tell you, that was the nastiest, crapiest motel room we have ever stayed in. The smell when you walked in was foul. The carpet was dirty with holes in it. The drapes were all torn and sagging. The blanket had holes in it. But the worst thing was going into the tiny bathroom. You could smell the mold and we literally almost fell through the floor next to the shower. The toilet was loose because the floor was so rotten underneath the entire bathroom. It is a LAWSUIT waiting to happen. I called around but there was not another motel in town that had a room available. My husband checked the sheets and they looked clean and laundered but we shoved off the blanket and bedspread. Needless to say we did not shower. We both slept lousy and couldn't wait to get out of there the next morning.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a good room on this side of the street.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Granddarlin
Reviewed 19 June 2012

The rooms are rather large, mine (Rm 12) had a big refrigerator and microwave as well. Cable TV and free wifi worked well, and there's a nice diner within walking distance, just a block away toward the west. The hotel is a little older, but it has character (unlike most of the national chains), the room was clean, and the owners are nice friendly people. I'm glad I stopped there!

Room Tip: Room 12 has a microwave and a big refrigerator.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank AKteacher
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We spent one night at this little Mom-and-Pop motel while traveling through on scenic Rt. 50 and it was just fine. Large rooms, wifi, very clean, quiet, and friendly owners and dog. After a series of chains, this was a welcome break and a chance to leave our money in the community. Wonderful breakfast just up the road at the Big Apple Family Restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple