“Great Place except for reception”

Best Western Topaz Lake Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Gardnerville
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This motel had one of the largest rooms we have ever stayed in. It was clean with lots of amenities: an easy chair with reading lamp and ottoman and several tables with the window overlooking a beatuful lake a stone's throw away from mountains. The crisp mountain air was delicious.

The breakfast offered the usual American "food products" of course and it's always a challenge for anyone grazing for healthy foods. At least there were bananas, along with all the various dye-colored dry cereals, loaded with the normal preservatives, et.al and cage-battered chickens' eggs, several choices of nothing of sugary rolls, frozen juices, and Lipton tea for those who don't want coffee. Perhaps someday there might be a few herbal offerings. At least there was hot water, though flavored by the strong aroma of coffee. Cleaning the tables after each guest might be appreciated. But, oh dear, I'm on a rant and the majority of Americans won't relate to any of these vegetarian opinions. I'll go to another topic: The Reception.

We arrived, tired, around 9 pm and were very happy to get a good price: $69 from the manager, Mr. Patel. As we asked about eating at the hotel I noticed several menus on the front counter though he didn't point our attention to them or mention more about them, or the fact that there was a vending machine in the hotel. He's, I guess, a kind of you-do-it-yourself receptionist, civil but certainly not forthcoming, actually, it seemed he was holding something back. Maybe he's just very shy or weary, though I found him that way in the morning as well. Yes, perhaps he's very tired. However, if I had been travelling alone as a woman I feel I would have felt a bit put-off by this seemingly apathetic disinterest.

Room Tip: View of the Lake
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 November 2011

After travelling all day from Los Angeles our arrival to this hotel was a sight for sore eyes. It was unfortunate the lady at the desk wasn’t as happy to see us as we were to see her. It seemed as if she didn’t want to be there. I don’t even think she cracked a smile. The hotel itself is very clean and the breakfast is decent enough to fill you up before the start of your day. It could be walking distance to Topaz Lodge to gamble, if you could find a safe pathway. Unfortunately, the beds were hard and there were way too many chairs in the room. There was also too many items on the tiny bathroom sink with the coffee maker and supplies being kept there. We had no where to put our toiletry bags except on the floor. The rooms need to be de-cluttered. The shower head was a dysfunctional joke. With various settings on the shower head to choose from, when you put it on for a normal spray of water, the middle of the spray was as dry as the Sahara with the rest of the water barely touching the skin. We had to put the water on massage to get wet enough to soap up. As mentioned before, the breakfast was sustainable to get you through the day, but the tables should be cleaned after each guest has eaten. Nothing worse than having to sit at a table where there are crumbs, milk and coffee residue. The breakfast area itself wasn’t kept continually clean either. Personally, I don’t know why since it was never very busy and the most I saw at breakfast was another couple. The hotel itself is handy as a half way point or a base to see Bodie, Carson City or Virginia City.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My wife and I stayed here on our way south. Nice clean spacious rooms. No pool, but workout center OK. There is very little around it, but it is a nice setting.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We stayed at the Topaz Lake Inn enroute from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe during this years touring holiday of the states. In 7 years we have been fortunate to visit 49 states covering thousands of miles and stayed in several hundred different hotels. Therefore we have learned a thing or two about the varying standards on offer. We give full marks to this hotel as the accommodation, service and breakfast were all excellent and to add to this, all experienced looking at that stunning view of the lake.

Best Western you hit the jackpot with this one!

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the lake, ours was on the top floor which had a super view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
BWTopazLakeInn, Manager at Best Western Topaz Lake Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

Thank you very much for a wonderful review, reviews like this are very motivating and we feel very very happy as we feel we are rewarded for the efforts we put in to provide a very comfortable and accommodating stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

My younger sons and I used the motel as a place to sleep on a quick overnighter to the Sierra. I'd probably been past the motel dozens of times, and had eaten at the nearby restaurant, but had never stayed. We all found the room just as the other enthusiastic reviews stated: beautiful view of Topaz Lake and the surrounding mountains, very roomy room, nice beds, and otherwise just perfect for our needs.

The room included two big queen-sized beds, firm but not hard; lots of pillows; a small refrigerator with a freezer that could contain two blue ice blocks, in-room coffee and other niceties.

It was completely quiet, and our meal at the nearby restaurant was great as always.

The continental breakfast included a few cereals, yogurt, a waffle machine, and some other items. No meat, granola, or eggs.

Only one CAVEAT: if I could, I would have given 4.5 stars. I rounded up because I couldn't follow up on this one set of concerns, so it would not be fair to round down. Here's why:

One chair's footstool had a leg broken off and just balanced, unattached, under the stool. The fan was obnoxiously "whistly." The shower also had a high-pitched whiny noise.

Now, none of that is reason to rate the motel down, because I didn't ask them to fix any of it. We just opened the window and didn't use the fan, didn't worry about the footstool, and didn't learn about the shower until just prior to leaving.

However, when I reported them to the man at the checkout desk, he didn't write anything down, and didn't apologize, seem concerned, or assure me that he'd have them seen to. That may mean nothing, but it wasn't reassuring... so if anyone uses room 305 and finds all those irritants unaddressed, it'd be a bit of a minus amid the many pluses.

Room Tip: Test fan, shower, and furniture before unpacking.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
BWTopazLakeInn, Manager at Best Western Topaz Lake Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2011

Thank you for taking time to review our property. We feel very happy when our guests are satisfied with their stay with us and feel bad when our guests are not extremely satisfied. But we improve over self with each experience and You are right about the footstools one leg was broken off, you are absolute correct about once you mention it to me I didn't write anything down, and didn't apologize, seem concerned, or assure you that I'd have them seen to.
I am really sorry about my conduct at that particular moment I completely stalled, I don’t know what was going on in my mind, by the time I realized what has happened it was too late, so I am sorry for that and my apologies, normally that’s not the case as you can see how we care about our guest and our property.
I just want to reassure you that your next visit will be pleasant without any problems, please remind me about your resent stay whenever you decide to stay with us.
I just want to let you know that you might have over looked hard boiled eggs and oat meal fresh fruits etc. as it’s on the other counter.

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We were welcomed warmly and had a great time here. Perfect stop for us on the way to Bodie and Yosemite.
The lobby and shared areas are spotless.
The room was huge (we had a suite) and great value.
Lovely views of the lake.
Highly recommended especially thanks to the Manager and his family who run the place so well.

Room Tip: The suite on 3 floor was huge and good value at $120/night.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
BWTopazLakeInn, Manager at Best Western Topaz Lake Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2011

Thank You for choosing Best Western Topaz Lake Inn for your recent stay. We appreciate you have taken the time to send us your feedback and your comments will be shared with the appropriate individuals. At Best Western Topaz Lake Inn we strive to treat each guest like family. We believe this practice of providing outstanding service and superior customer care is what sets us apart from our competitors. We look forward to seeing you again for your next Best Western Topaz Lake Inn stay and again thank you for taking the time to give us a review, we appreciate it.

Shyam Patel

Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stopped here on a long trip of trail riding. The hotel is clean, the restaurant/casino is clean and the food was good.

We had our dog with us and she enjoyed the room too!

No frills, but sure beats camping in the snow every night!!

We look forward to staying here again.

Thanks :)

Room Tip: Our room faced east and the sunrise over the lake was wonderful!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

I am very glad to hear you and your dog had good stay with us, we have few pet friendly rooms that we allow pets in and we are looking into adding some features that will make it more cozy for the pets.
We really appreciate you taking time to write a review for your recent stay at our property and giving us opportunity to serve you.
Thanks again,
Shyam Patel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardnerville
0.4 km away
21.8 km away
Toiyabe Motel
Toiyabe Motel
#1 of 2 in Coleville

Been to Best Western Topaz Lake Inn? Share your experiences!