“worst hotel in america”

We can't find prices for this hotel
El Cortez Cabana Suites
Ranked #101 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
nate8122
“worst hotel in america”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed at the Cabana Suites. Room itself was not terrible, this is why i gave a one star, but dirty. The casino was run down, management was a cross between 80 year old wanna be mobsters in double breasted cheap knock off suits and Asians balls deep into their video games. While playing Blackjack the waitresses came by every 1-130 with watered down drinks. There was no buffet and the service at the restaurant was terrible. After a day and a half i took my money to the 4 queens and they treated me like a king. Bugsy may of owned the Cortez years ago, but that is their only selling point. Word of advise fire all those idiots that work there and step it up a few.

Room Tip: go to the nugget or 4 queens
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank nate8122

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Well, it was our first trip to LV and we wanted to stay near downtown, and after seeing the pics of the Cabana Suites we thought they were kind of funky and would add to the vacation experience. The rooms were kind of cool, but nothing special, and definitely did not make up for the negative experiences we had with staff.

First, we had e-mailed them with a few questions over a month before we were to stay there, and we requested to be put on the Newsletter list as well (two separate e-mails), but we never received any responses (this should have been a big enough red flag for me to change our reservations to another hotel - live and learn). We did receive a Newsletter the week after we returned (which is ironic considering the issues we had over it while we were there - see below).

Next, we decided to do most of our gambling there in order to maximize our points for comps, etc. Although we are admittedly low rollers, I was told before we planned the trip that low rollers were the bread and butter of Vegas and would be valued as customers regardless of how much we gambled. This was not our experience. While playing slots the first full day we were there I had three drinks in four hours and one of them I had to go to the bar and pay full price for. When we inquired as to whether that level of (non) customer service was routine, we were informed that the waitresses come around once every 20-25 minutes. We gambled there for four days, and I can assure you that that is complete B.S. (BTW I tipped a dollar or two every time I was bought a drink). Not very business savvy considering they're serving cheap rail booze that is watered down to people who are dropping a couple hundred dollars a day in the machines.

Then, when we signed up for the players club card we mentioned the fact that we had e-mailed them as well as signed up for the Newsletter prior to coming, but never received a reply or a Newsletter. We were offered no explanation as to why they do not respond to e-mails (despite their website encouraging you to send one). We were however, given a current copy of the Newsletter, but when we went to use one of the coupons in it ($5 off a meal at Cafe Cortez) we were told that we needed to go back to the players club to have the coupon validated (why give someone coupons and not validate them on the spot so the customer has to make a trip back in order to use them?). So I went back over to the players club (a short walk from the cafe) only to be interrogated as to how I received a Newsletter without being on the e-mail list. I explained that we had indeed attempted to get on the list a month prior to our visit, but were not put on it, so the girl at the players club desk at the time gave us a copy. I was treated very rudely and all but called a liar. Needless to say, we were not able to use any of the coupons in the Newsletter during our stay.

The Cafe Cortez is no bargain, and the food is not very good. Half the quality of Perkins for comparable items, same price ($9 eggs Benedict - my eggs were undercooked both times I ordered it). 1 out of every 2 times we ate there, someone at a table near us sent food back (one guy had a waitress argue with him as to the definition of 'medium' - I saw his steak, it was bleeding). I ordered a $4 chocolate milkshake, which I technically received, but it was made with vanilla ice cream and some cheap chocolate flavoring. Over all, we were not impressed with the food there.

Four day stay, maid service once. Enough said on that subject.

I'd be willing to go back to Vegas and stay at different hotel, but my Fiancee does not want to go back, period. She doesn't want to run the risk of a repeat if we were to bring guests along as it would be quite embarrassing.This was a fact finding mission, thinking we may get married in Vegas and wanted to find a place that we could afford to lodge our wedding party at (despite explaining this, our level of customer service did not improve). Considering half our budget was earmarked for gambling, we could have spent the same amount and gone to Jamaica or some other sunny, white beached location, which we will do next year. I have never experienced such poor customer service at a hotel in my life (despite working on the road for several years and staying in mostly cheap hotels).

In the long run, I felt as though the MOB still runs the hotel and could care less about the customers. If you're young and still into partying 24/7, stay on the strip, if you're older and not into the party scene I'd recommend the Fremont St./downtown area, but stay clear of the El Cortez regardless of what a "bargain" you get. When I'm spending a couple thousand dollars on a vacation I require good customer service. However, the El Cortez made us feel more like a burden than a blessing. Too bad, we liked the funky room.

Room Tip: Any room in another hotel would be a good choice.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Doug S
Portland OR
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The Cabana Suites decor was outta sight. Just note that you have to check in across the street in the El Cortez. (we were told in a very degrading fashion by front desk attendant at suites) Who knew? Anyway, other than that, it was fine. Great location- 24 hour security guard out front- but a mere two blocks from all the Fremont street action. The windows are double pained and we never heard any street noise. Freemont Street is vastly improved and getting better, so for the location, you can’t beat the price.
As we’d come and go, we found all but one of the front desk attendants to be downright rude. Not sure why. Will most likely stay elsewhere next time, I do love to room service occasionally. I knew that wasn’t available at this location, but would probably scale it up a notch next time.

Room Tip: Book a jr. suite at least. It was smaller than average and I can't imagine how small the delux r...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NannyCakes
ohio
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The Cabana Suites were bettered than I expected! The bath room was large and as nice as the "Go" rooms at the Flamingo. The room was very clean, done an art deco design, The Lobby was locked to the outside world. Security was standing guard and you can only enter with a room key. The neighboorhood was not scary and was well lit. The lobby always had fresh fruit and candy free for guest consumption. There is an exercise of the lobby and someone is always at the desk. The El Cortez casino is accross the street and is really old school vegas. Low table stakes and $.25 cent roulette. We really enjoyed are stay and would stay again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank vegas8
Da UP of Michigan
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed at the Cabana Suites last year, and decided this year to do the same....we were not disappointed. Security is present at all times of the day, around the entrance to the Suites. Inside a beautilful lobby greets you with a black & white scheme, complete w/ big screen TV, and another reception/security person. Fresh fruit and candy dish is available daily. As well as a workout gym complete w/workout equipment. This place is so posh, it seems out of place down off Fremont street. Also being off Fremont St. by several blocks allows for a quite nights sleep.

Room Tip: We stayed on 5th floor, but can't imagine any bad rooms in this place!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank johnsdi
Clovis, California
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I recently stayed at the El Cortez Cabana Suites January 19-22 2012. I have stayed at the El Cortez before but never at the Cabana Suites. From first impression from seeing it in the evening i was a little set back. I was not sure if it was safe. I did see 2 security guards by the hotel. I assumed i check in the Cabana Suites to only be told i check in at the main El Cortez. During my stay they were doing some revamping by the El Cortez so i had to enter through a door that was further away. I received my key and still was concerned since i am a female and was alone. I needed to use my key to even get inside the cabana suites so that made me feel safe. The security guard was very friendly and greeted me. So ok not so bad after all. My room was on the first floor and I had a junior suite. It was just like the picture i had seen. Walls were green, bathroom the same like i had seen. everything worked just fine. I had a fridge. No complaints about the room at all. It was quite at night. The bed was comfortable and the shower worked great. The best thing that i liked was how friendly and safe i felt after i got to know the security guards. I would return back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Marlymar22
Dallas
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I booked the El Cortez Cabana Suites from a wholesaler and received an excellent price.

Everything was very nice, clean, and very well maintained.

You can park for free at either of the El Cortez' parking garages. The main hotel/casino is across the street - it's a bit dated and not nearly the standard as the Cabana Suites.

Gripes -
1) the shower: I could not figure out how to adjust the water temperature. It appeared that my shower control was missing something - there was a place for something to screw in it, but that 'piece' was missing. Usually you wait for cold water, but I had to turn on the shower - let it get to scalding then somehow work the knob back to cold. It worked, but I have no idea how.

2) the iHome docking station - it was unplugged when I arrived. I plugged it in and attempted to dock my iPhone 4S, couldn't get it to work. There were no instructions for the device except for some written on it for playing music. No instructions on how to set the time, or the alarm. When it went off in the middle of the night - I realized why it was unplugged. I never attempted to use it again.

3) the air conditioner - I never did figure out how to get this working correctly either. I do know it was January in Las Vegas, and I had the air conditioner set at about 63 degrees, fan on full blast to keep the room comfortable.

But, other than that stuff (which I did not report to the hotel), the hotel felt safe and clean. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Hmmm...ask if the shower, iHome docking station and air conditioner work...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo