“Good for business trip”

Ranked #166 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
San Jose, California
“Good for business trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel for my business one-night-stay. The location is convenient, the room is spacy, and the service excellent. The fact that they provide toothbrushes, toothpastes (mine got confiscated at boarding) and so on is exceptional. There's also a nice sports bar adjacent that improved the quality of my evening. They even have free WIRED internet.

The amenities are not so good, the faucet was leaking, bath tap problematically operational, desk chair inconvenient and the small refrigerator noisy. There also was no overhead light in the room. The free breakfast is very modest, far from the European BB I am used to.

During the evening I heard noises from the adjacent room, but the night was very quiet.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Cjelli
HIE6220Rainbow, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Las Vegas 215 Beltway, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and I am happy to hear you found our service to be excellent. Hope to see you again soon. Thanks, Laura

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Room was very clean, bed was comfortable, staff was friendly and efficient. But, there were a few small annoyances. To wit:
1. Air conditioner cranked out the cold air, but would occassionally emit a loud wheezing, gurgling sound (sort of like a Model T starting up). We called the desk shortly after checkin, they said "Don't worry about that noise, it's normal". Well, if it's normal it shouldn't be! Call an HVAC guy. Having said that, I was pretty tired that night and it didn't keep me awake.
2. The hotel boasts an airport shuttle (McCarron is 10 minutes away). They called a few days before the trip and said the shuttle was wouldn't be running during our stay. No credit was offered for the inconvenience; rather, our party had to make two separate airport runs for different flight times.
3. Wireless internet was out of order for several hours on departure day. No explanation was given.
4. Hotel's gym consists of four home-gym quality aerobic machines and a television. I looked forward to a nice workout on the bike while watching TV after dropping my friends for their early-morning flight. Unfortunately, the bike was stuck in super-hard mode, no matter how I adjusted the machine. I then moved to an eliptical machine, which eventually worked right after lots of fiddling and restarting it several times. It was wobbly and a bit rickety, like you might expect in an overused cheap piece of equipment. Come on, Holiday Inn! Invest in some decent equipment! For a few thousand dollars you could have a real business-quality hotel workout room. To add insult to injury, there was no remote control available, and the TV seemed to require one (couldn't turn it on by pushing buttons on front panel), so I wasn't able to watch TV either.
The hotel is clean, new, and bright. It's staffed by enthusiastic and friendly staff. And these complaints are minor in the big picture, so I gave HI Express three stars. But the general impression is that the place is run on a shoestring budget, and the owner is unwilling/unable to put any money into the property.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Thank You for your review, we are glad you chose to stay with us. We do appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of items that did not meet your expectations. We strive to deliver a fabulous stay for every guest. We hope to see you again soon in Las Vegas. Thanks, Laura
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Very clean and great staff. Will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Thank You for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you again! Thanks, Laura
Austin, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Pros: very nice, newer hotel, friendly, pleasant staff. Maids do a fantastic job of keeping rooms very clean. Free breakfast (nothing special, just dry cereal, instant oatmeal, "do it yourself" waffle machine, toast, muffins, juice; could use some hot items and fresh fruit--bananas were stale). Also, free morning paper, computers, and airport shuttle. Easy access to Hwy 215 and fast food restaurants.

HUGE (and only) Con: Unfortunately, this nice property is located DIRECTLY under the takeoff flight path of jet traffic from McCarren Airport, so you are treated to a symphony of non-stop, loud noise from morning to midnight. I tried switching rooms to a lower floor but could still hear the air traffic, so the walls are obviously too thin. Once the traffic FINALLY stopped at midnight, I could here the couple in the next room chatting until 3 AM.

I'm really sorry to give such a nice place a thumbs down (and the only reason is the noise), but even the nicest hotels can be ruined by a lousy night's sleep as my stay was. And I don't think I'm being oversensitive. (I asked another gent sharing my elevator ride if he got any sleep. He rolled his tired eyes incredulously and said "No.") I'll admit I am a bit ticked because when I checked in, I specifically requested a "quiet room" and explained to the desk clerk that I lived in Vegas but was treating myself to a quiet hotel stay to escape the loud July 4th fireworks noise in my neighborhood. He didn't say a word about the constant air-traffic when I checked in. I would have appreciated a diplomatic heads up so I could have avoided throwing away $114. on a sleepless night of constant noise.

If you are deaf or are lulled to sleep by the constant drone of airplanes taking off, you will love this place. For 99% of the rest of us, consider yourself warned.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank marieTX
Manhattan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Visiting friends and wanting to stay away from the strip, we found this hotel was convenient, comfortable, and friendly. The breakfast is included and the attendant was super nice and the choices were plentiful. Look for the pancake making machine which makes great pancakes and is much easier and cleaner then the waffle makers in most places. The issue is that they hide it under a tray of condiments and you will never know it's there unless you are looking for it. Note that the only problem we had with the room was that the a/c cycled on and off in a very noisy way making it difficult to sleep through the night.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drrazzle
HIE6220Rainbow, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Las Vegas 215 Beltway, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Thank You for your review. We are happy when our guests are happy! I have to agree, the pancakes are great! Hope you'll come visit again soon.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

I was put up here for a conference I was attending at UNLV. I was a little nervous when I read it was a Holiday Inn, but I was definitely not disappointed! I was given an accessible room on the first floor, with microwave, refrigerator, and plenty of room for 2 people.
The beds were pretty comfortable, although I struggled trying to figure how to situate the well labeled "firm," and "soft" pillows.
The free breakfast buffet was excellent, convenient, and the friendly staff made it feel like we were at home in someone's kitchen. Other staff members supported me in printing something from the business center (also free, and a seamless process which is so rare!) and the free wifi in the rooms was a huge plus!!
If you are looking for basic, but pleasant accommodations, away from the madness of the strip- I would definitely recommend this place. Although- I will mention there are not many places for dining in safe walking distance, Scooter's Pub in the parking lot does a great business, and if you do have a vehicle, there is plenty to do across the street. I just wouldn't recommend crossing it on foot!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Malphaba
HIE6220Rainbow, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Las Vegas 215 Beltway, responded to this review, 26 April 2011
Thank You for your great review! Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we are happy to have had the opportunity to serve you. Hope to see you again soon!
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

I really liked this hotel because it was built only about 3 years ago. Everything is new and shiny. Also the service that was provided from the front desk was great too. They were willing to help as much as possible and I was very pleased with it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steven1589
We are so glad you had a great experience, guest satisfaction is our #1 goal. We hope to see you again soon!