“Needs a makeover”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Decatur, Illinois
“Needs a makeover”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I've stayed here a few times in the past 10 years, but the old girl is really showing her age at this last visit.

Non-smoking room was very smoky smelling, television old and huge. The price was right, but I expected a bit more.

Had problems with the mini-bar showing charges when we didn't use anything and had to have someone come up twice to make sure we weren't lying about the problem.

The biggest problem with the Rio is it's position off the Strip. Can't really walk anywhere unless you like to take your life in your own hands on the freeway type bridge and have to either taxi or shuttle to the Strip.

It's cheap, but it needs help.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank mkhmn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,125)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New Albany, Indiana
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Rio for the second time over Spring Break. We spent two nights at the hotel and had a wonderful room with a great view of the strip. We played in the casino, had a car and drove all over Vegas to know that there would be ample parking and a clean room. The bed was comfortable and had a window to see the shower. My wife and I thought that was pretty funny and enjoyed making faces while bathing. I highly recommend the Rio and I am not sure why the reviews have this hotel on the same page as some pretty seedy joints. I believe people need to realize that the reviews are comparison.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. No problem and we have stayed in both towers.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bjed
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed here for my birthday weekend. We secured a room for a pretty good rate around $350 for all three nights including "No Resort Fee", which Caesars Entertainment Resorts are so good with advertising. We arrived on a Wednesday evening (around midnight), probably waited for five minutes, which wasn't bad considering it was such a busy weekend ahead. Check in was fast and easy. The Front Desk Agent was very nice and assured me that if we needed any help or recommendations that they would be happy to assist any time. She put us in The Ipanema Tower and at first I was a little discouraged because of the reviews about it being an older tower. However, while it is an older tower, it was recently renovated. We walked into the room and were pleasantly surprised. Bathroom all granite/marble, probably wasn't real, but really? who cares, it's Vegas!!! There were two sinks, one in the room part and one in the toilet and shower/tub combo area. The bedroom was very large, we had two double beds and of course it being an all suite hotel came with a sofa. The room/hallways and everywhere around the hotel was extremely clean. We unpacked and headed down to the casino. The resort is laid out very well and easy to navigate. There are all the different types of games, so you will find what you need. The Palms Resort Casino was a 7 minute walk from the hotel. The walk to Caesars Palace and some other Casinos on the strip was about 15. There also was a complimentary shuttle to Harrah's or Bally's that ran until 1am and was offered every 30 minutes.

We did the 24 hour buffets of buffet pass. We timed it right by starting the pass at 7pm the first night by eating dinner at the Carnival World Buffet, then the next morning at the same buffet at the Rio. Then we were over at Planet Holywood gambling and went there for light dinner, gambled some more and went back for a full dinner. It was probably $65 all together including the tips that you left for the person taking the plates. For 4 meals thats pretty good.

The Pools at Rio were very nice and well kept. There were 3 hot tubs that were open and 2 that were closed. There was two open pools one that had an amazing waterfall !! On the last day we woke up and headed down to the pool, unfortunately it was closed, but our flight wasn't until 5pm, so I went to the front desk and asked if I could go to another Caesar Entertainment Resort pool. I really wanted to try Caesars Palace pool and they said no problem. So we packed up our bags took a taxi over and went to their pool. It was AMAZING!!! Felt like we were on T.V.

I just love that Rio is part of the largest chain on the strip. This means that the Total Rewards was connected with.....
RIO
Planet Hollywood
Caesars Palace
Harrah's
Bally's
Flamingo

**Note with total rewards, you get 10 free dollars to use at your resort. I used it at Starbucks, which was nice that it saved me money.

Overall my friends and I had a great trip! Value wise you can not go wrong.

Room Tip: Ipanema was newly renovated!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Ryan C
Novi, MI
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed here a few times, most recently in March 2012. The Rio is off the strip so most gambling are staying there. Big convention hall so lots of conferences. Best Seafood buffet on the strip. Plan to be hungry and eat for an hour. Rooms on Masquerade tower seems to be nicer. Very big and great views if you are high enough. Also, two Starbucks in the hotel for those of you who need that in the morning. Went to the Gold Coast next door and bowled with our adult children one night. Fun place and much quieter gambling floor. Rio staff is accommodating and friendly and since you are off the strip, no solicitors outside the front door.

Room Tip: Check in early for a good room and ask to be high in the Masquerade tower.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PNPNovi_MI
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed 29 March 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night mainly for Seafood. Buffet. Checked in early but had a room available. Personnel was very helpful and drink service was excellent. Room was very nice, clean and spacious. The Seafood Buffet was outstanding and our waiter was awesome. This was our first trip to Rio, had a great time and would definately go back.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Trudyinrc
Kansas City
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed at the Rio for a business conference and I found the rooms and hotel overall to be out dated and it had a strange, musty, retirement home type smell. After the first day I didn't notice it as much but it was definitely still something I would occasionally catch a whiff of and grimace.

The service was good and the show was organized well but if I were staying in Vegas for pleasure I wouldn't choose this hotel for myself.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Zombiebaby
Anaheim, CA
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I like staying at the Caesar's Enterntainment properties becaue they don't charge you that absurd Resort Fee. Rio is one of their properties, and the rooms are good size. Its not on the strip but they do offer shuttle services to the strip.

They have a good buffet, supposedly one of the most popular ones in Vegas.

Its even better if you get the rooms for free, which I do since I have a total rewards card. You don't have to gamble much either!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends