“dated but very nice”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New Bern
“dated but very nice”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

the hotel /casino is old and in need of updating but the service is excellent ,the rooms are spacious, and the location is great because its off the crazy strip but easily accessable to all the glitz and glitter.

the pool area is great( outside only). and the casino area is complete. good poker room lots of action.nightclub is hopping and thr casual food areas are above average.
i wuold definately stay here again although i have other hotel/casinos i prefer.

you will not be dissappointed with the overall acceptability of RIO.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank peterkut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,199)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We just spent five nights at the Rio. First the good, food in the restaurants is not bad.
Now the bad. Everything else. The Rio takes gambling to an all new level by even offering it in the rooms. Specifically every time you a take a shower it is a gamble to see whether you will have hot water or not, and what the excuse from the front desk will be that day. It is amazing that the sink can have hot water but not the shower. Excuses range from a pipe is broken, to we will send somebody up to look at it (nobody ever showed up) to let the water run longer. Personally, I think letting the water run for 15 minutes is more than enough time for it to get hot. Your odds of winning in the casino are much better than getting hot water.(Rio did reduce room rate upon checkout) The rooms are quite simply tired and outdated. We were in a large suite with 1 1/2 bathrooms and yet the TVs were antiquated picture tube TVs, nice throwback to the 80s. The Rio's idea of a non smoking room is to give you a room with a connecting room with a smoker in it. Our room was almost as smoky as the casino. Apparently the Rio has not heard of the modern invention called a no smoking floor. Also, be careful purchasing the in hotel wifi. Two prices are offered, room wifi or resort wide wifi. Apparently the Rio does not consider the spa/gym as part of the resort as there is no wifi there. Thanks Rio for charging for nonexistent resort wide wifi. (Rio did agree to a credit for the wifi) Penn and Teller put on an excellent show but be forewarned, the show is advertised as being a 9:00 show. However, when you pick up the tickets you will be told that they will only hold your seats until 8:30 as there is a pre show. The pre show consists of a piano player playing background music and offering people the opportunity to inspect a box on the stage and sign an envelope.

Room Tip: The best way to get a good room is to stay away from the Rio
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Estesfan

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Pismo Beach, California
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My wife and I booked 3 nights at the Rio. After a 6 1/2 hour drive to get to Las Vegas we finally showed up at the Rio at 3am to check in and get a good nights' rest. The woman working the check-in counter stated they did not have us checking in untill the following day. I showed them my receipt and informed them that my wife is 6 months pregnant to which they did not care and said "to take it up with the third party (Allegiant Air) we booked it on". Six hours later we went back to try and check-in again. The manager seemed shocked they didnt accomadate us the following night and upon further investigation, admitted the Rio changed our arrival date. All they did for us was give us a room with a view of the strip. They said they were going to get a hold of the third party we booked the room through to give us a refund for the one night but we are still waiting on that and have to call them almost everyday.
If you wish to stay at the Rio and will be booking the hotel on a third party site (hotels.com, travelocity, etc..) I would highly recommend the day before you check-in, you call the Rio and remind them you are still coming before they ASSUME you are not and GIVE your room away.
Do to the fact the Rio would not accomadate us when we showed them our reciept, my wife was pregnant, and we had a PREPAID RESERVATION! I give this hotel a one star and warn others not to stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matt B
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We had to book this hotel for the the third night stay since its the cheapest available. All other hotels on the strip were expensive. The hotel is clean....but there is this old feeling.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ak2931
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was my first trip to Vegas and probably my last. There were many things wrong with my stay one morning there was NO HOT WATER so I had to take a cold shower, no complentary coffee in the room, no do not disturbe sign in the room. One day I had to listened to drilling in the rooms above me. There was wall paper thats ripping off the wall, the couch was ripped and the stuffing was coming out. One couch cushion was stained so bad that they had to flip it over. Theres no microwave in the rooms, so dont think you can just take your leftovers back to the room and eat it later or unless you like to eat it cold. The first day we arrive there was food sitting in the hall which sat there for three day and made the hall smell like rotten food. I let a manager know but they really didnt seem to care about any of my complants. My solution to this is do not stay at the RIO!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here pick a different hotel!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank shanin s
DC
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed at the Rio 3/30/12 – 4/4/12. I think your experience at the Rio will largely depend on which room you’re assigned. We checked in about 11pm on Friday Spring break weekend. We waited in line for 30 minutes which I fully expected. Front desk was friendly and efficient, but we were assigned us a room with one bed (reserved 2 beds) in Ipanema Tower - a tired room with old carpet, old TV, old furniture, old couch, and we needed 2 beds. I called the front desk and they reassigned my room and asked I come down to get my new keys. When I objected to standing in the line again, they told me to go to the VIP room to pick up the new keys (I’m not a VIP). Fortunately, the guy in the VIP room upgraded my room to the ‘diamond floor’ -- an incredible strip view (room 1907) – the room was upgraded with a flat screen TV, heavenly beds, Queen Size pullout couch, FREE coffee in the room, lights that dim for mood enhancement, a safe, mini-fridge, very quiet. It was a smoking room but I smelled no smoke. Besides the room, the buffet was good, but way overpriced at breakfast (Palms is half the price and just as nice), I had no problem getting frequent cocktails at the tables. The pool is very nice with towel service, but was crowded and closes at 5pm. Plenty of parking; valet swamped at night, great during the day; generally long lines to catch the shuttle to the strip, except mid-day. Overall, a great experience, but would not have been happy in my original room. By the way, I tried to tip the front desk guy $20 for an upgrade to a Masquerade suite -he could not accomodate me, but it may have been because they were very full that week....I've heard others had success with this in the past.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room regardless of tower -
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Mint Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Rio may not be my favorite hotel/casino, but we've probably stayed here more than any other in Las Vegas. Lately, I'm noticing a lot of damage to the lamps in the hallways. It looks like some drunks decided to bash every wall lamp on the floor. Housekeeping says that it's like that on most of the floors. Repairing stuff like that costs money which will probably come out of our pockets. I'm hoping that Rio can replace these with something high tech and inaccessible to the idiots who do this sort of willful damage to what is one of the best values in the city.

Room Tip: You can get a great view of the strip from the east facing rooms. I think better views cost more, li...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family