“No problems at all” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Patterson, California
“No problems at all”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have been coming to Vegas for 11 years now and have stayed @ a different hotel every time now. We have stayed @ a variety of places from the Venetian and the mirage to Excalibur and even Imperial Place.

We made this our home base for four days as we were coming to las Vegas to get married. We had family from both sides stay at the Rio as we had got a great rate via an email from the hotel. We had booked our stay at first @ NYNY but canceled after getting the email. We were going to pay more in resort fees A NYNY then we would for our 4 night stay at the Rio just did not make sense.

We stayed in a standard room in the Impanema tower as I read somewhere these were recently remolded. The room was clean. Bed and sheets were clean no bugs to speak of and trust me we check. Also no bathroom issues and while I am in Vegas what else can I ask for. Also had a view of the pool it was warm not hot but there were people out in the pool so the view was nice most days.

Most of the family was in the other tower the masquerade tower. These rooms had a different lay out and some had a nicer view of the strip. No one had any problems with the rooms. We even talked about how nice house keeping was with the extra coffee cups and towels.

The last thing I heard a lot about was the smoke. When we walked in the door you do notice the smell of smoke but no more than most casinos. Some of the newest casinos pump in the vanilla smell our what not so you notice this a little less but I would say this is average for hotels that have been open this amount of time

I spent a lot of time before reading reviews and trying to get all the info I could in regards to what the Rio was all about. We were not disappointed if anything we were pleasantly surprised. The Rio is off the strip but we knew that as we always drive in from northern California this is not an issue for us but I could see if you don’t have a car it could be an issue. I know there is a shuttle that runs people to the strip we never used it so I can’t give it an honest review

The Best advice I can give is just know what you’re getting when you book this hotel and if you understand that you should have a great time. We did

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Raiderdad1345

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,538)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I received a comped room for the Rio on 4/16/12. We stayed for 5 days. We always stay on the strip so I was a bit concerned about the location. I read the reviews on TA and I had mixed feelings about the choice. The Rio is a good hotel. The rooms are oversized and the beds are very comfortabler. The bathroom is fine with an additional sink outside for primping. The hotel is dated and the decor is purple and gold in a 1980'1 fashion but it was clean and comfortable. We stayed in the Ipanema Tower. The hotel itself is smokey but the rooms were not smelly. The maid service was good and one day when they did not clean the room they came within 10 minutes of calling and cleaned the room very thoroughly. The shuttle to the strip was a plus but it was often times full and you had to wait for another. The people who work at the Rio are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank marilyn2354
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Totally enjoyed the accomadations at the Rio. The suites in the new tower were grand, spacious and stylish. Did not fully understand why a Kruig coffee machine was in the room and you had to pay for the filter....next time, I know to bring my own! Other than that, the stay was very enjoyable. Highly recommend you use your total reward cards for additional savings.
If you are there longer than 2 days, highly recommend you take advantage of the 24 hour buffet pass.

Room Tip: Ask for the new towers.....I was advised not to stay in the masquerade towers.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank bevsensualparty
Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at Rio in Las Vegas April 16 - 21, 2012. My room was comped. This is the first time I've stayed in this tower - The Ipanema. What a dump! Upon walking into the suite area it was obvious that the room was never cleaned as there was .12 cent thrown around the room. Maybe more, I didn't look. Made me wonder if the other areas were cleaned. Dead bolt did not work. Carpet was stained and had two spots where it looked like 'poop' was on the carpet - totally disgusting. I went downstairs and requested a different room - this was a Monday - the guy at the desk said they were full and I would have to wait until Wednesday. Yuck! was the bedding changed?
The bathroom in this suite was so small in comparision to the other towers at Rio. I've stayed there several times in the past but this was the first time in the Ipanema tower - from this experience I will not return to the Rio - it is an inconvenience to stay there to start with. I was shocked that the front desk wasn't more cooperative to my request. When I booked the room it was on a promotion that you received a $50 Macy card - another gimmick - My flight left at 6:55 am Saturday morning. When I booked the room the woman said I qualified for the gift card and could get it Friday - the promotion didn't start until Saturday - Just a horrible experience all the way around - stay somewhere else - it isn't worth the trouble or safety.
I spent as little time as possible at the Rio - I will not go back there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Val W

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Oak Lawn, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Nice hotel; SPACIOUS Rooms; Fast elevators. My only complaint was with housekeeping; They did not leave clean glasses and coffee cups everyday; I called the front desk and it was taken care of immediately. Off the strip is a good thing; Less crowded and easier to get around. Free shuttle to the strip, or a very short drive to anywhere you want to go. Also, right down the street from the "IN -AND-OUT burger"; Best burgers on the West Coast!

Room Tip: Slightly newer rooms in the Masquerade Tower.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2010Andy703
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Arrived Sunday night 8 April. The line for registration was horrendous, would have taken at least an hour to book in so we decided to drive the strip and return later in the evening. Good plan queues were gone. Booked in ok staff fine, room was lovely big clean and smelt fresh. Bed comfy. For the price we paid we had a great deal £86 for three nights and $18 dollars for breakfast each morning for 2 at starbucks, we had to pay difference if you went over the $18 tab which we did but only by five or so dollars. (charged to your room.) Also no silly resort rip off fee ! Nice place to stay, slots tight and min bet at tables $10. Would stay here again, bit out of the way, but have complimentary shuttles to the strip. Pools good for children.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank warey55
Mount Sterling, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I was concerned with some of the reviews on this hotel, but I must say that even though it's not one of the "new" showcase hotels on the strip,it is still nice. Rooms are all suitesand room had a lot of space. Only a 15 minute walk to the strip. I would recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple