“Excellent time at the Rio”

Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino
Ranked #101 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Goldsboro, North Carolina
“Excellent time at the Rio”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I stayed for a week at the Rio and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. As with any hotel in Las Vegas, you immediately have concerns about the check-in wait time, but for us it was a scant 10 minutes (great for Vegas).

We had a Strip view room on the 31st floor and the view was terrific and the room was well-kept and clean.

Whenever I go to Vegas, I prefer to have a rental car with me. When you are at the Rio, you will probably want one so you don't have to wait on the shuttle to and from the Strip.

While the Rio is not one of the glitzy hotels like Cosmo, new like Aria or decadent like the Bellagio, it has a great feel to it and it's a good value. (I think too often, people visiting Vegas have unrealistically high expectations and hold hotels to higher standards than they pay for or that the hotel advertises as.)

Room Tip #1: If you like coffee, bring your K-Cups with you. They charge $3 per K-Cup. We brought ours with us in our carry-on bag.

Room Tip #2: The Rio is known for its wall-to-wall floor-to-ceiling windows. Bring to laundry pins for the drape to prevent the sun from creeping through in the morning through the massive windows.

Parking Tip: If you are self-parking (valet and self are about equidistance from the Ipanema Tower) then drive straight to the roof of the parking garage. The sky walk to the hotel is on the roof. It will save you the elevator ride. Also, you can park within 100 feet of the sky walk virtually 24 hours a day.

Location Tip: take advantage of the back way out of the Rio to get to and from the Strip quickly.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor available...and a Strip view. At night, it's great.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank HeathSchneider

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,010)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I remember a time when the Rio, off the strip, trendy, shiny and new, was a great antidote to the then family friendly strip. This was the mid 90's when Excalibur was attempting to make Vegas "fun for the whole family". The Rio was, well, Rio, grown up, risque and fun for grown ups. What happened there was definitely meant to stay there. Well fast forward 15+ years and the Rio has gentrified. I don't think I've seen that many personal scooters outside of Leisure World. I understand that the rooms are being renovated, but ours was Clinton era all the way, clean, but well worn, more Glitter Gulch than Mansion.

In short, the Rio is too expensive for it's off strip locale and neither elite enough or trendy enough to justify it as a destination. As a conference facility it was very good, but for a vacation getaway, choose a newer hotel on the strip to impress, or a classic downtown venue to economize.

Room Tip: While a strip view is nice, the smart money requests a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank jhstoneca
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband stayed one night in one of their larger suites. It was very surprisingly LARGE, had a dining room, large wet bar, an entryway and second guest bathroom. The bedroom and main bathroom was very large as well. The hotel is older, but the room was still nicely decorated and very clean. We did have a problem with one of the Tvs not working. The technician quickly showed up and solved the issue promptly. the room service food was typical, but tasty nonetheless.

All in all, the our stay was pleasant. The service at the front desk was very accommodating (We got a free upgrade because we had just gotten married. :-)) The hotel/casino is rather outdated, but the room was spacious, and we got a bargain for the upgraded suite!

Room Tip: If you mention that you're on your honeymoon, you might get a room upgrade!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cookiez101
Patterson, California
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have been coming to Vegas for 11 years now and have stayed @ a different hotel every time now. We have stayed @ a variety of places from the Venetian and the mirage to Excalibur and even Imperial Place.

We made this our home base for four days as we were coming to las Vegas to get married. We had family from both sides stay at the Rio as we had got a great rate via an email from the hotel. We had booked our stay at first @ NYNY but canceled after getting the email. We were going to pay more in resort fees A NYNY then we would for our 4 night stay at the Rio just did not make sense.

We stayed in a standard room in the Impanema tower as I read somewhere these were recently remolded. The room was clean. Bed and sheets were clean no bugs to speak of and trust me we check. Also no bathroom issues and while I am in Vegas what else can I ask for. Also had a view of the pool it was warm not hot but there were people out in the pool so the view was nice most days.

Most of the family was in the other tower the masquerade tower. These rooms had a different lay out and some had a nicer view of the strip. No one had any problems with the rooms. We even talked about how nice house keeping was with the extra coffee cups and towels.

The last thing I heard a lot about was the smoke. When we walked in the door you do notice the smell of smoke but no more than most casinos. Some of the newest casinos pump in the vanilla smell our what not so you notice this a little less but I would say this is average for hotels that have been open this amount of time

I spent a lot of time before reading reviews and trying to get all the info I could in regards to what the Rio was all about. We were not disappointed if anything we were pleasantly surprised. The Rio is off the strip but we knew that as we always drive in from northern California this is not an issue for us but I could see if you don’t have a car it could be an issue. I know there is a shuttle that runs people to the strip we never used it so I can’t give it an honest review

The Best advice I can give is just know what you’re getting when you book this hotel and if you understand that you should have a great time. We did

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Raiderdad1345
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I received a comped room for the Rio on 4/16/12. We stayed for 5 days. We always stay on the strip so I was a bit concerned about the location. I read the reviews on TA and I had mixed feelings about the choice. The Rio is a good hotel. The rooms are oversized and the beds are very comfortabler. The bathroom is fine with an additional sink outside for primping. The hotel is dated and the decor is purple and gold in a 1980'1 fashion but it was clean and comfortable. We stayed in the Ipanema Tower. The hotel itself is smokey but the rooms were not smelly. The maid service was good and one day when they did not clean the room they came within 10 minutes of calling and cleaned the room very thoroughly. The shuttle to the strip was a plus but it was often times full and you had to wait for another. The people who work at the Rio are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank marilyn2354
virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Totally enjoyed the accomadations at the Rio. The suites in the new tower were grand, spacious and stylish. Did not fully understand why a Kruig coffee machine was in the room and you had to pay for the filter....next time, I know to bring my own! Other than that, the stay was very enjoyable. Highly recommend you use your total reward cards for additional savings.
If you are there longer than 2 days, highly recommend you take advantage of the 24 hour buffet pass.

Room Tip: Ask for the new towers.....I was advised not to stay in the masquerade towers.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank bevsensualparty
Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at Rio in Las Vegas April 16 - 21, 2012. My room was comped. This is the first time I've stayed in this tower - The Ipanema. What a dump! Upon walking into the suite area it was obvious that the room was never cleaned as there was .12 cent thrown around the room. Maybe more, I didn't look. Made me wonder if the other areas were cleaned. Dead bolt did not work. Carpet was stained and had two spots where it looked like 'poop' was on the carpet - totally disgusting. I went downstairs and requested a different room - this was a Monday - the guy at the desk said they were full and I would have to wait until Wednesday. Yuck! was the bedding changed?
The bathroom in this suite was so small in comparision to the other towers at Rio. I've stayed there several times in the past but this was the first time in the Ipanema tower - from this experience I will not return to the Rio - it is an inconvenience to stay there to start with. I was shocked that the front desk wasn't more cooperative to my request. When I booked the room it was on a promotion that you received a $50 Macy card - another gimmick - My flight left at 6:55 am Saturday morning. When I booked the room the woman said I qualified for the gift card and could get it Friday - the promotion didn't start until Saturday - Just a horrible experience all the way around - stay somewhere else - it isn't worth the trouble or safety.
I spent as little time as possible at the Rio - I will not go back there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo